Best option for watching films in my set up

ajay124

I have a strictly two channel set up.
Behind the speakers and the audio rack the 'short wall' has glass panes with moderately thick,see through curtains.
My listening/viewing position would be in front of the opposite short wall 15-17 feet away.
Room size is 25|16 feet.
I have a basic Yamaha DVD player.
I have a huge collection of world cinema and live western classical DVDs.
Many of these DVDs are in B/W with '50s-'60s sound and picture quality.
I am primarily interested in watching my existing DVDs.
I DO NOT require HD or Blue Ray.
I DO NOT watch Television
Budget 50-60K.
Should I opt for a big sized LCD/Plasma or a Projector and Screen?
The screen would only be mounted when required.
Placement would be in front of my audio rack and behind the speakers.

Last edited:
Big sized LCD/Plasma is more suitable for you. Less hassles & better picture with SD (DVD) source. Go for 40-50 inches size.

A good projector with motorised screen mounted on wall infront of the audio rack... ... Hope your yamaha DVD player can play all those collections you have , if not get an entry level philips branded player......You are all set to go back to 50's ;)

You will take back your words when you watch a few western classical concerts on blu-ray with HD video and HD sound.

Currently I have a Sony 29 inch HD TV which is not being used very often.Sometimes I disconnect the inter connect from the cdp and connect it to the Yamaha dvdp.This takes care of the audio.I have a 30 feet long coaxial cable which connects the video output from the Yamaha to the Sony.The results for watching films are satisfactory for audio.The Bryston/Vienna Acoustic two channel builds up a fairly convincing HT atmosphere.What is lost by not having a 5.1 set up is gained by having a powerful 2 channel sound.Together the 4B SST/twin bass drivers of the Vienna Acoustics have a slam factor which would rival a high end AVR/Sub combo.The video definition is good enough for me but I am not happy with the 'small screen' feel.
I can consider buying an entry level high definition/bluray dvdp and panel mounted 40-50 inch plasma/lcd.Would prefer Sony for both.I know that video reproduction would be acceptable but what about the audio?The Yamaha has a problem with the eject and load function and can be disposed off.Any suggestions for models?Are there any models which are mounted on pillars or panels and don't require a rack or a shelf?The alternative would be to build a new rack with the LCD/plasma placed on a flat surface and below provide a few shelves for dvdp,cdp,pre,power.Gives me the idea of beginning research for a design.:)I got the furniture and fixtures in the living room built from my carpenter using 'partal' wood.Not very tough but inexpensive 'maple' good looks.I borrowed all the ideas from designs inspired by the 'prairie' work of the famous American architect Frank Lloyd Wright :)
The issues which need to be resolved are:
-Room placement.The TV is at one end and the speakers at the opposite end of the room.Audio rack and speakers cannot be moved.They are perfectly placed.Therefore the screen needs to be moved.But no way of shifting the TV unless I build a monster rack which takes care of the TV,CDP,Pre,Power.Can be done but it would take up precious space in the drawing room and would not look good in front of the curtains.
-The small 29 inch size of the TV screen does not build up a convincing movie feel and personally I believe that cinema should ONLY be watched on a big screen.
-For classical music the audio from the Yamaha dvd is a pale imitation of the resolution and clarity I get from the Arcam cdp.If the Arcam is 8/10 for audio then the Yamaha playing the same music from a dvd is 3/10.I have the complete symphonies of Beethoven/Herbert Von Karajan/Berlin Philharmoniker on both cd and dvd.Karajan is not only a great conductor but also a great showman.The camera placements on the dvd are clearly meant to showcase the superstar of the classical world.But the audio is a complete let down.I need a dvdp that can rival or come close to the SQ of the Arcam.

Planning to dispose off the Sony and the Yamaha.
Have discussed with the carpenter how to 'upgrade' my current audio rack to also hold a stand mounted lcd and dvd player.
Putting the plan into action right away.But I intend to spend a few days researching the lcd/led/plasma and the dvd player.
I would appreciate if folks could provide information about brands,technologies and prices of various lcds.
A dvd player which will provide great SQ in a two channel set up?

Ajay,
Does the budget of 50 to 60k include the TV and DVD player?

Watching a concert on a large display on a good system (with or without surround sound) is an amazing experience.

Going through this thread, two things come to mind:
1) Choose a decent upscaling DVD Player/BluRay Player from Oppo. Video will get upscaled and sent to your Flat Panel TV via HDMI cable. Output digital audio to a DAC that you may need to purchase or into a one box CDP with Digital input (From your 4 CDPs thread).
2) Please do note that having a TV (or any reflective surface) between your front speakers will screw up the great sound that you are currently enjoying on your current system. You may want to have a thick curtain between your TV and the speakers while listening to Stereo. You could also consider a thick rug on your TV, but it may not be WAF-friendly.

Hi Ajay

1. IMHO buy two bookshelves and centre channel speaker to be placed along with the TV. You need to make sure that the sound in your DVDs come recorded in atleast the 3 channel set up to make full use of the centre channel . I'm not sure for the remastered or old movies how the sound would be recorded. The main speaker for movies is the centre channel since it reproduces the dialogues. In my 5.1 system I've increased the volume settings to the centre channel and it sounds great.
2. I agree that movies definitely should be seen on a large format and thats why even I bought a projector. I understand that you watch movies in your living room. Come out with some convenient way to cut out the light incase you should decide to watch during day time. It makes a HUGE difference to the PQ. Another factor is make sure that you make a provision for the screen to be properly fastened after pulling it down. Coz if you decide to use the ceiling fan (if its near the screen) and not the AC there are chances that the screen starts to shake.
3. From what I've read from reviews on the forum and elsewhere the Oppo dvd player should give you a decent SQ and PQ. Try get someone to buy it from abroad as its a lot cheaper there.
Regards.

Went to the Samsung and Sony showrooms today.After a couple of hours of interaction with mostly dumb salesmen(chandigarh has tons of them) and a bewildering variety of models and sizes,I first ruled out the plasmas and then the lcds.Intend to focus ONLY on 40 inch LED's.The Samsung model is very nice looking once you remove all those gaudy stickers,picture quality was very good.Price 61K.No broadband.Expected the Sony to be far more expensive but was pleasantly surprised to find that it is for 65 K.With broadband.The salesmen had no information about the broadband features but what I have checked on the internet is that Sony has tied up with Google and is the only manufacturer which can provide a reasonably good computer experience.Like the idea of an led with a wifi connection for watching youtube and other computer applications.At the moment only considering the Sony 40 inch model EX 52(I think).With the entry level 9999 blue ray dvd.New models expected soon.Intend to research and wait until mid April.Maybe the free trade agreement signed recently with Japan will bring down prices.
@Gijo George
Appreciate your advise,but I am not considering any book shelf or centre speakers.:)The stereo amp and the towers I have would blow most bookshelves,centres and subs out of the water.If I really crank up the Brystons the sound is probably good enough for a medium sized multiplex auditorium.With floor shaking bass,sparkling highs,a midrange free of even the slightest hint of distortion.But that's with a cdp.Need to locate a dvd player which can output audiophile sound quality.
The LED would only be used for watching films and music concerts.No television :)

Somewhere here I have read it Sony 46"Ex710 is 77K:) It will be an good bet than Ex520 series( not an LED), for sure most of the LED were bundled with BD player.

Last edited:
@srisundar
Since I don't intend to buy the led before april,I did not note down the model number.I seem to remember it was ex52 and the shop claimed it was the most recent 40 inch led they have.Since I plan to make several more visits to various sony shops in the coming weeks,the mystery will be resolved.I want to first read and understand led specs so that the next visit can be more 'interrogative':)Chandigarh salesmen for most products are shockingly ignorant and unreliable.I never base my decision on what they say.After starting this thread yesterday I cleared a major hurdle.I have a clear picture of the path to be followed.Modify my audio rack to make it an a/v rack :),buy a new dvd player and a 40 inch led.For the dvd player the audio reproduction is very important to me.Apart from Sony will also be looking at Arcam,Denon,Marantz,Yamaha.Having used an Arcam cdp,I would be happy if I could source a reasonably priced Arcam dvd.Possible models-BDP 100,DV Diva 137 and DV FMJ 139.

Last edited:
Which projectors are available in India in the 50-60K range?
What specs should one look for?
Are most of the 40 inch led's being sold in the 50-70K range essentially lcd's with led lighting provided at the edges for better contrast?
Are there any Sony Blu Ray Disc Players available in India which are WiFi enabled and can stream online content from the internet on to a led screen.
Or when hooked up to a projector,on to a bigger screen?

Last edited:
Ajay,
Does the budget of 50 to 60k include the TV and DVD player?

Watching a concert on a large display on a good system (with or without surround sound) is an amazing experience.

Going through this thread, two things come to mind:
1) Choose a decent upscaling DVD Player/BluRay Player from Oppo. Video will get upscaled and sent to your Flat Panel TV via HDMI cable. Output digital audio to a DAC that you may need to purchase or into a one box CDP with Digital input (From your 4 CDPs thread).
2) Please do note that having a TV (or any reflective surface) between your front speakers will screw up the great sound that you are currently enjoying on your current system. You may want to have a thick curtain between your TV and the speakers while listening to Stereo. You could also consider a thick rug on your TV, but it may not be WAF-friendly.

I am having second thoughts about perching a giant sized led screen on top of my audio rack behind the speakers.Would not look good (I find tv screens aesthetically ugly) and the reflective surfaces may ruin the SQ.
I am planning to leave the audio rack/speaker end unchanged and watch the video through a projected image or led on the opposite wall.Essentially the sound would still come from behind the viewer while watching a film.
Yesterday I watched a dvd of Carlo Saura's "Tango" which has great music and dance on my Sony TV.The dvd player was perched on my audio rack and connected to the pre amp with the Transparent Plus interconnect.The dvd player was connected to the TV with a 30 feet long coaxial cable for the video content.The soundstage built up was entirely credible,indeed remarkable!I did not feel the need for having front/center and rear speakers.And with the awesome bass slam of the Bryston's/twin bass driver's of the VA's,a Sub is redundant!
What I am trying to say is that a good two channel set up with correct speaker placement can provide a great home theatre experience.I have done several home theatre auditions in the Gurgaon/Delhi malls.Many of them were impressive.But personally I am happy with the sound I am getting through my two channel pre/power,floorstanders,high end cables and interconnects.More real and present in the room.Better for the bullet shots,bomb explosions and creaking doors.And much better for background music.Prospective HT buyers with the time,money and inclination should not rule out the option of a two channel sound for watching movies.An AB done with an AVR/5.1 and Stereo Amp/2 speakers both in the same price range,may prove that the latter may be preferred by some for a home theatre :)
@Santhol2/Vinay
Have you ever auditioned a powerful stereo set up in your home theatre and compared it with a 5.1 or 7.1?Compared not just for special effects but also for the overall mood,emotions and atmosphere created

Last edited:
Which projectors are available in India in the 50-60K range?
What specs should one look for?
Are most of the 40 inch led's being sold in the 50-70K range essentially lcd's with led lighting provided at the edges for better contrast?
Are there any Sony Blu Ray Disc Players available in India which are WiFi enabled and can stream online content from the internet on to a led screen.
Or when hooked up to a projector,on to a bigger screen?
Ajay, I think the Optoma hd65 would be available at that budget, but I will let the projector gurus confirm that.

As for Leds, Some brands have edge lit LEDs while others are full array. I think the LG ones are full array here in our market.

LED TVs compared: Local dimming, edge-lit, and full array - CNET Reviews

Full Array vs Edge-lit LED LCD Comparison

And ajay mind sharing why you have ruled out a plasma?

Ajay, I think the Optoma hd65 would be available at that budget, but I will let the projector gurus confirm that.

As for Leds, Some brands have edge lit LEDs while others are full array. I think the LG ones are full array here in our market.

LED TVs compared: Local dimming, edge-lit, and full array - CNET Reviews

Full Array vs Edge-lit LED LCD Comparison

And ajay mind sharing why you have ruled out a plasma?

I spent a couple of hours at the Sony and Samsung showrooms,watching both DVD and TV content on various Plasma,LCD and back lit LED's.For picture quality I found the backlit LED's best,followed by the LCD's.The Plasma picture quality was the least impressive and the model's had a 'dated' look,suggesting they were already'history'.Plasma are cheaper than the LCD/LED's but may not be good value for money in the long run.
Since I am looking for a big screen movie experience,I feel a projector is the best option.I need to focus on the specs/brands/pricing/placement of the projector.I have got the transport of my Yamaha DVD fixed.I could also opt for a mass produced modern DVD Blu Ray Played.Unlike audiophile products :) the mass produced Sony's :) are quite affordable.

Ajay, please check out one of the Panasonic plasmas like the v20D. I am sure you will give plasmas a second thought.
But yes, there s nothing like a projector to deliver the big screen experience, no doubt. Back to Vinay, Santhol2, Gijo, Srinisundar and other projector gurus.

What I am trying to say is that a good two channel set up with correct speaker placement can provide a great home theatre experience.I have done several home theatre auditions in the Gurgaon/Delhi malls.Many of them were impressive.But personally I am happy with the sound I am getting through my two channel pre/power,floorstanders,high end cables and interconnects.More real and present in the room.Better for the bullet shots,bomb explosions and creaking doors.And much better for background music.Prospective HT buyers with the time,money and inclination should not rule out the option of a two channel sound for watching movies.An AB done with an AVR/5.1 and Stereo Amp/2 speakers both in the same price range,may prove that the latter may be preferred by some for a home theatre :)
@Santhol2/Vinay
Have you ever auditioned a powerful stereo set up in your home theatre and compared it with a 5.1 or 7.1?Compared not just for special effects but also for the overall mood,emotions and atmosphere created

There are two issues here. One, if your front speakers are large and have good low frequency drivers, you may not need a sub. At the same time please do understand that the audio codecs send special data through the Point 1 that is never available to other channels.

Though many of you have been harping on the concept of using a 2.0 system for movies, I think it is as misguided as using a 7.1 system for music. The very concept of hearing from 6 or 8 independent channels that are placed properly will be completely lost. The Director and Editor have taken a lot of effort in terms of paying the sound in a way to give you the emotion and effect that they have in mind. Playing this in a 2.0 system would just vitiate all that effort.

Cheers

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back