Best option to mount rear-vented speaker onto walls.

souravdm

Hi All,

First of all I would like to introduce myself, this is my first post in this forum.

My name is Sourav Das Mahapatra. I live in Delhi and Software Consultant by profession.

I would like to thank all active participants and experts to bring together very nice experiences , thoughts and advices at one place.

Me and my wife are real movie buffs. Our listening requirements were: 70% movie and 30% music. This site gave us lot of inputs , when we were planning out for setting up a home theater in the living room of our new flat. Based on reviews, suggestions from friends , forums, demo and ofcourse hifivision along with our budget - we bought the following :-
a) Onkyo TX-SR507 A/V receiver.
b) Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker system.
c) 16 AWG monster speaker wires.

All the above items were bought from U.S during my official tours & visits.

We always wanted to have a wall-mounted very compact speaker system as our living room isn't that big and neither we have space for a separate room for setting up a home theater system.

Since, the flat interiors were being done at the same time, we got the speaker wires concealed along with installation of the speaker mounts.

Now the installation is complete but we do feel there is a noticeable difference in the output (boomy effect) from surround speakers.

Then we realized that somehow, we neglected the fact of keeping the rear vented surround speakers at least two feet from the surface behind it.

Is there any option or way of reducing the boomy effect other than the plugging the vents?

I hope you all understand my situation , my wife isnt favour of making any kind of changes which can lead for any civil work on the newly painted walls or visible wire extension.

Last edited:
I filled gap btwin spk grills with cotton & marginally reduced reflections ,boominess.

If you ready, there are small TV stands that are available that can be mounted on the wall. These will give the speakers something like 6 to 12 inches space from the wall. If you don't like the stands, you can work with a carpenter to custom design similar stands for you.

Cheers

Last edited:
If you ready, there are small TV stands that are available that can be mounted on the wall. These will give the speakers something like 6 to 12 inches space from the wall. If you don't like the stands, you can work with a carpenter to custom design similar stands for you.

Cheers

Hi Venkatcr,
1. Is this boominess due to over-enhancement of certain frequencies due to closeness to wall?
2. Is it possible to identify such frequncies using an instrument?... if yes what is that?
3. Is it possible to dampen such frequencies thru parametric equaliser after the culprit frequencies are identified?

Thanks in advance...
Regds,

@spirovious - I will do the same and will get back to you with the results.

@venkatcr - I aint a great technician/expert on music, so dont have much awareness / knowledge on frequencies. I just feel that the bass used to be tight when the surround speakers were 2-3 feet away from the wall but once its placed closed to the wall , the bass has some kind of boominess. My carpenter suggested to mount the speakers from ceiling (2 feet away from the wall).. We are building up a prototype, lets see how it goes.

A friend of mine suggested to use a plastic L shaped pipe on to the mouth of the vent. Though I am yet to try it. Will it have any effect?

@Thad - Along with a hole on the wall, me will have a hole in my head(courtesy my wife). :D

Last edited:
Mostly boominess comes bcose no space for air to move generated by spk.
Freq is measured by special eq to get freq response of spk in closed room.

I just feel that the bass used to be tight when the surround speakers were 2-3 feet away from the wall but once its placed closed to the wall , the bass has some kind of boominess.

This may not be due to the surrounds. Surrounds mostly carry mid and high frequencies If you are missing the tightness of bass, your sub is in the wrong place, OR, you may have to create and place some bass traps. Most probably the low frequency sounds are bouncing off the walls before reaching you and losing some energy.

With the sub playing some continuous low frequency, walk around the room and see if you hear the same sound all over. If the sound is dramatically different in different parts of the room, the low frequency sounds are being bounced off the wall(s).

Cheers

1. Is this boominess due to over-enhancement of certain frequencies due to closeness to wall?

As I have explained in the previous post, sub sometimes create standing waves of low frequency sounds, particularly if you have parallel walls that are close to each other.

2. Is it possible to identify such frequncies using an instrument?... if yes what is that?

You use a sound level meter connected to a laptop/PC based frequency/spectrum analyser. Many times, you broadcast tones that represent a particular frequency, measure that, and plot a curve. If the final curve shows peaks or troughs, those frequencies need to ab addressed.

3. Is it possible to dampen such frequencies thru parametric equaliser after the culprit frequencies are identified?

I do belive it is possible, though I have no personal experience. I believe something like a Behringer uses real time FFT analysis to equalize both loudspeaker and room variances.

Cheers

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back