Best Place to buy 220/110v Step down transformer for AV Receivers

Does Pioneer have any authorised service centre here? If yes, you may want to check if they can fix it-they will charge but you can rest assured that the parts are the right ones. Sometimes these are not easily available in the aftermarket, since they may be custom designed.

Yup thats the problem .... No authorized service center for Pioneer in bangalore as I know of ... So, I will have to look for some good service center who can take care of the receiver .... So anybody aware of some nice service centers in blore for Pioneer Receivers :)

Last edited:
few months back in The Hindu supplements, there was ad for pioneer home theater systems and the shop had an infantry road address.....I remember it had a weird japanese name for the home theater system and they were offering VSX 520 along with it...i tried finding the shop on infantryroad without the address but was not successfull..so keep checking the hindu paper for a week and see if the adds are still appearing..maybe you can talk that dealer

Within Bombay? I stay in Wadala, but I can go within reasonable distances to get it, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I bought it at Rupani Eletrical, Malad West. However, any "parts" store that supplies electronic components should be able to procure one for you.

Cost of 1.5 KVA transformer would be around 2.2 k.

I think u r talking about Pro Audiotronics ...... on Infantry Road.....

My experience was very similar. Bought my Pioneer VSX 1020 last wednesday..had a chalk mark but still no one stopped me.

bought transformer for 2400.

Things connected to the Receiver are:

(1) Tata sky HD - outputs to PAL only??
(2) Hacked UK Wii - outputs to PAL
(3) Hacked UK DVD Player - multi output but I guess default is PAL
(4) I Pod.
(5) Laptop with Blu ray from US - NTSC

Got step down transformer 1 KVA from Vishal electronics for 2400. Asked couple of dealers and they said isolation transformer is a bit too much for home use as it costs almost 70% more...so stuck to traditional one with MCB. HOpefully it will trip if something goes wrong:yahoo:

Although Pioneer in their official clarification mail said its NTSC only, it seems to accept any thing.

Hooked it up to my existing Yamaha Home theater Sats...realised Left and Right speakers were too tiny...so replaced them with a 15 year old Sony CD Mini system Speakers!!! which proves bigger is better when it comes to speakers.

Again dont notice any appreciable gain from Yamaha receiver...partly because I dont use any of the new features - 3D, internet radio, same old speakers...etc

folks at my house do feel that picture quality has improved a bit...partly becoz I also bought component cables for my Wii in the same trip and Tata Sky HD anyways makes all channels look good.

Will try and get Energy Take Classic in my next visit and hopefully it will make it sound better.

Hi arindamcc,

Is the MX one you suggest is based on isolation transformation. By the cost - 5600/- it looks like but not described. Also, it says Torodial, what does that mean?

By the way I already have V-GUARD surge/spike protector which has a 3Amp capacity. Do you think I can put this spike protector and the isolation based step down transformer in use together? Or should I just have to use the step down transformer alone as it looks like that also has surge protection?

BTW, I have a Onkyo TX-SR608 from US and planning to by Polk6750 speaker kit to supplement Panasonic 42V20D.

Thanks in advance!
Anish

Hi,

Is therea way to check whether it is an isolation or auto transformer.
I didn't know this when I bought a maxine 300W in Chennai. Im using a Yamaha AVR bought in US with this.

BTW, How many in this forum have bought a normal auto transformer with out the knowledge or with and still running AVR's without any issues or met issues? Is it really a must have because I have seen one or tow guyz saying they just bought a normal step down and its working for them. Anyway's can any tech guru here can explain what is the probable cause of worry when we are using an auto one over the isolation one? If it's a spike that is worrying; is a spike buster work?

Experts,

Could you please clarify my query?
Im using a maxine Step Down Transformer 350W for my Yamaha RX-V465 which is of 250W. Few members here are using 1KV Step Down Transformers on an average for their AVRs. Now the questions are,

a. Is 350W is enough to my AVR which is 250W?
b. Will there be any fall in SQ if input power is insufficient?
c. How risk it will be incase of insufficient input power from Step Down Transformer?

Thanks in advance for all your help. :)

Whaterver you do, do not use MX stepdown. If that one goes bad, it would start supplying full 220V to device.

I recently purchased the Yamaha RX-V667 from the USA and will be taking that to Kolkata with me pretty soon. Can anybody suggest a reliable place from where I can buy a step-down transformer(preferably isolation type) in Kolkata? The rated power consumption of this receiver is 400 Watt.

Also I will need a step-down transformer for Harmon Kardon subwoofer. Its a 200 watt powered sub-woofer. Any idea what type of transformer to use with this one?

Last edited:
I recently purchased the Yamaha RX-V667 from the USA and will be taking that to Kolkata with me pretty soon. Can anybody suggest a reliable place from where I can buy a step-down transformer(preferably isolation type) in Kolkata? The rated power consumption of this receiver is 400 Watt.

Also I will need a step-down transformer for Harmon Kardon subwoofer. Its a 200 watt powered sub-woofer. Any idea what type of sub-woofer to use with this one?

Try MX dealer at chadni chwak

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back