best point and shoot camera

the sony nex3 agruably would take better pictures than the compact p&s but it is definitely bigger and more complicated to use......i guess it fall in the micro 4 3rds category of cameras with the epl1s and sorts......but for right im looking for a beginner proof camera with excellent images and decent video capabilities and since im spending about 25k i would want to go with the best compact in the market...... please suggest some more... thankx for the inputs tho

Its not at all complicated,all you need is I-auto mode it even gives tips on shooting,but yes its bigger then compact cameras.
This is definitely a camera for people who don't like the DSLR for the size ,but want the same image quality have a look at the this images in taken from the owner who also has a FF DSLR Fun with the NEX cameras.... - The GetDPI Photography Forums

Its not at all complicated,all you need is I-auto mode it even gives tips on shooting,but yes its bigger then compact cameras.
This is definitely a camera for people who don't like the DSLR for the size ,but want the same image quality have a look at the this images in taken from the owner who also has a FF DSLR Fun with the NEX cameras.... - The GetDPI Photography Forums

Nice pics!!

I think this cam is a great buy even for an automatic mode freak - coz, eventually one is going to outgrow the auto mode and want to experiment with photography.

I use manual mode in my LX3 most of the times so when I hit a fluke with a great pic, I can claim to have manually set it like an expert :D.

@Blasto, if you like to stay in front of or behind the camera, carry a large mirror and ask the subject to hold it when you shoot :eek:hyeah:

Cheers

ok guys now wat is the price which the sony nex is elling at???..... coz i can max extend my budget to about 30k..... and do i need to add additional lenses to it??? or are there any other compacts with great image quality......anyone knows about the sony hx5v or cannon ixus 300 is??? or any other cams somebodys used and said wow.....also does the sony have hd video incase i wanna make the next part of die hard series....lol ;)

Try this maybe Canon Announces SD4000 with F2.0 Lens - Digital Camera Reviews, Digital Photography Tutorials, Best Digital SLR Cameras - Photoxels

You can have my old powershot S5IS together with package of lens adapter 55mm polarizing + UV filter and camera case without batteries or memory card if you want, but it is as big as a slr if not bulky :)

cheers

gobble i would have taken you on d offer but the size would be a critiria for me..... as loath even carry my cellphone with me so a dslr size cam with all its positives is still not ok in my check list...thank u for d offer tho......and if u serious about selling it then why not post it ind forum im sure it will sell like a chocolate doughnut...cheers

ok guys now wat is the price which the sony nex is elling at???..... coz i can max extend my budget to about 30k..... and do i need to add additional lenses to it??? or are there any other compacts with great image quality......anyone knows about the sony hx5v or cannon ixus 300 is??? or any other cams somebodys used and said wow.....also does the sony have hd video incase i wanna make the next part of die hard series....lol ;)

Well its not yet officially launched in india,yes they do shoot HD videos.comes with either the 16mm kit lens or 18-55mm kit lens or even both.
The cameras like HX5 are good but can't be compared to a interchangeable lens camera like the NEX which has again has a much bigger sensor.

Last edited:
gobble i would have taken you on d offer but the size would be a critiria for me..... as loath even carry my cellphone with me so a dslr size cam with all its positives is still not ok in my check list...thank u for d offer tho......and if u serious about selling it then why not post it ind forum im sure it will sell like a chocolate doughnut...cheers

This thread reminded me that's all ...

Will do at leisure

Sent from my iPod touch

Well the S90 has a big sony HAD CCD sensor its good for low light,the other cameras like TX7,HX5 has a smaller sensor but is also good for low light since its based on EXMOR tech.The LX3 is also good choice but i would go with the S90 for the slightly extra zoom.

BUt if you want really good image quality try searching the grey market for the Sony NEX3 or 5 ,they will blow away every other small camera and even many DSLR,since it has the latest and arguably class leading APS-C size EXMOR sensor that is used in DSLRs,it will fit in your pocket if you use the 16mm pancake lens,you can also take the 18-55mm lens in the other pocket.the camera is smaller then the canon G11 and about the same size as a apple I phone.
Its user friendly as well.
]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1046/4608561438_d1a87663dd_b.jpg
for that price it better to get a dslr .

NEX-3 with 18-55mm Lens costs $600 and nex 5 is for $700 (where the lens itself costs 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 $300 lol ) .for such a slow lens sony is overcharging people wow !.

by the way :Sony has released 3D sweep panorama for nex3 and nex5,but I doubt it will of much use ,since, one will need a 3D tv to look at them .
In my opinion its better to invest in Nikon or canon if one is ready to spend that much .

----------------------------------------------------------

TO thread starter ? do you want zoom camera like panasonic FZ-35

or you want company camera ?
secondly ,I don't consider it a point and shoot at all .

Last edited:
for that price it better to get a dslr .

NEX-3 with 18-55mm Lens costs $600 and nex 5 is for $700 (where the lens itself costs 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 $300 lol ) .for such a slow lens sony is overcharging people wow !.

by the way :Sony has released 3D sweep panorama for nex3 and nex5,but I doubt it will of much use ,since, one will need a 3D tv to look at them .
In my opinion its better to invest in Nikon or canon if one is ready to spend that much .

----------------------------------------------------------

TO thread starter ? do you want zoom camera like panasonic FZ-35

or you want company camera ?
secondly ,I don't consider it a point and shoot at all .

You can get a DSLR but the thread starter specifically said he wants a compact camera and a DSLR or the FZ35 isn't.
The build quality of the 18-55mm lens is whole lot better then canikon kit lens that one gets in similar price tag.

There is no such thing as investing only in canon or nikon at end of the day as long as the camera takes good pictues it is all that matters ,unless of course the person chooses to build up a lens line up but the NEX with adapters already launched one can install Nikon G lens ,canon FD /EF lens,M leica ,Pentax K and very own Minolta and sony A mount and Zeiss lens and a whole lot of other lenses.Tamron has also announced lenses for the NEX.

below an eg of canon EF lens on NEX
4749919445_f173f0928a.jpg

Last edited:
The build quality of the 18-55mm lens is whole lot better then canikon kit lens that one gets in similar price tag.
have you used it ??how you came to this conclusion ?.Metal finish ?right ?

NEX seriess isn't a point and shoot series anyway .
1.its not made for people who want point and shoot .
2 Made for people who want features of slr (specially IQ ) in small package .

Also wanted to mention :Sony E mount adapter to alpha costs $199

Last edited:
have you used it ??how you came to this conclusion ?.Metal finish ?right ?

NEX seriess isn't a point and shoot series anyway .
1.its not made for people who want point and shoot .
2 Made for people who want features of slr (specially IQ ) in small package .

Also wanted to mention :Sony E mount adapter to alpha costs $199

No i haven't yet used it,but i read lots of reviews & posts from owners.
It doesn't have metal finish,but rather all metal lens made of aluminum and steel mount.
Sony target which was said straight from the boss mouth is for DSC users who want the IQ of DSLR in a compact body.
Third party adapters cost way less $83 to $99 shipped for canon FD ,nikon G lens and more cheaper adapters to follow.

Any irrelevant for the OP.

Last edited:
No i haven't yet used it,but i read lots of reviews & posts from owners.
It doesn't have metal finish,but rather all metal lens made of aluminum and steel mount.
Sony target which was said straight from the boss mouth is for DSC users who want the IQ of DSLR in a compact body.
Third party adapters cost way less $83 to $99 shipped for canon FD ,nikon G lens and more cheaper adapters to follow.

Any irrelevant for the OP.
I know this irrelevant for this thread ,but wanted to share this info too (might be helpful to the people, who might be interested in getting this cam)
Note :Alpha Lens adpater doesn't autofocus lenses with inbuilt motor(with SAM).

The answer from Sony: Hi XXX, The LA-EA1 Mount adaptor which allows use of A-mount lenses on NEX cameras does not include auto-focus actuation for A-mount lenses. The NEX recognize the value of AF for A-mount lenses with NEX cameras, but the slow AF acquisition time of legacy mount lenses with Contrast AF systems resulted in AF function not being included. This is consistent with other Lens Mount adaptors for cameras using Contrast AF with legacy lenses. NEX also uses a powerful Focus Magnifier to aid Manual Focusing, helpful when using A-mount lenses. I hope that info was helpful!

sonyalpharumors Blog Archive New Sony NEX reviews and news (NX10 vs NEX5 rolling shutter effect)

I know this irrelevant for this thread ,but wanted to share this info too (might be helpful to the people, who might be interested in getting this cam)
Note :Alpha Lens adpater doesn't autofocus lenses with inbuilt motor(with SAM).

Well at the moment Yes it doesn't have autofocus on other bigger A mount alpha lenses,this is not just a normal adapter it has provision for auto focus to work.
but this is what the head of sony imaging division said

Q:At the launch it was mentioned that the adapter for the A mount lenses has compatibility issues such as AF not working. Is that something that's going to be amended in the future?

Mr Katsumoto: Autofocus should be working with the adapter and we have engineers still working very hard. We wanted to prepare a solution for connecting the A mount lenses from the beginning so that's why we released it.

The E mount will also come with Zeiss later on,the E mount lens is also going to be used in sony new range of interchangeable lens camcorders,so more lenses to follow.

Besides the adapters makes sense only for people who have lots of existing lens,since by using conventional DSLR size lens one will loose the portability.

If you look at DPreview forums many people who ordered various lens adapters are people who have existing lens build up.

Last edited:
woah...we've got a lil bit of a war going on here about the harmless lil point and shoot....lol..... guys its great that every1 feels so passionately about our gadgets and our opinions and random people wanting to help strangers....love this forum.....
ok now to get things straight.... i have read a lot of reviews about the micro 4/3rds i.e a compactish body which has a big sensor with interchangeable lense..... now the sony nex, olympus e pl1 and the panasonic gf1 fall in this category
1. The olympus has been launched in india and the price tag is about 30k
2. The sony nex hasn't been officially launched yet... can anyone tell me if this comes with bundled lenses or do i have to buy the lense separetely??
3. The GF1 has not been launched yet but there are great reviews on the net but its the most expensive of the lot.

Now going back to square one:
1. I love the sony for the fun features on it like the sweep panaroma mode is a real beauty and the twilight shot. EX: tx7, hx5v, nex3, nex5.
2. I love the canon for its image quality: EX: canon s90,
3. I love the olympus for allround capabilities i.e great image quality and inclusion of hd video: EX: e pl1
4. I've heard good things also about the Panasonic for its image quality: EX: GF1, LX3

So what do i do now??? which camera should i go for??? is there something im missing?

The micro 4/3rds are slightly larger than the compacts but u can carry the lense in one pocket and the body in another.(for better image quality a lil inconvinience)
But now for the all important question can a compact camera at the price of about 30k give me the image quality of a micro 4/3rds or dslr, be fun to use with good features and if so then which one??????????????????????????

But now for the all important question can a compact camera at the price of about 30k give me the image quality of a micro 4/3rds or dslr, be fun to use with good features and if so then which one??????????????????????????
none :(
Even G11 iso isn't that good either.

if you need a compact ,then you will have to sacrifice image quality .there is no way you can get both at the moment in the same cam .For the same reason I've both slr and compact .I carry them depending on the use . my dslr is used 90% of the time .dslr can never replace the portability of a compact .

Last edited:
none :(
Even G11 iso isn't that good either.

if you need a compact ,then you will have to sacrifice image quality .there is no way you can get both at the moment in the same cam .For the same reason I've both slr and compact .I carry them depending on the use . my dslr is used 90% of the time .dslr can never replace the portability of a compact .

Ahrite i get it... dslr is like a sedan and compact like a small car.... but say i wanted the like a honda jazz of compact camera... like jazz which is roomy like a sedan yet easily manouverable in the city traffic.... my point is gv me the best point n shoot( closest to excellent image quality of a dslr)

Ahrite i get it... dslr is like a sedan and compact like a small car.... but say i wanted the like a honda jazz of compact camera... like jazz which is roomy like a sedan yet easily manouverable in the city traffic.... my point is gv me the best point n shoot( closest to excellent image quality of a dslr)

There is no Jazz in the camera world.
Maybe Honda should venture into this zone.. :D

Well you can forget about gf1 they cost more then nex5.

Again nex hasn't been launched in india which why i said to try them in grey market.
Image quality of nex,m4/3 is certainly impressive.
there are fixed lens cameras from leica which can produce better IQ,but its way above your budget

canon g11 is too expensive for what it offers & it IQ while good still can't match nex & m4/3.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back