best point and shoot camera

sunnysharma

Hi guys,
Please guide me as to which is the best point and shoot camera for a beginner like me( will be using mostly in auto mode). I want excellent picture quality but i dont want a big DSLR, i want something which will fit in my pocket. My budget is 20-25k....please help soon with ur inputs and comments.

Hi guys,
Please guide me as to which is the best point and shoot camera for a beginner like me( will be using mostly in auto mode). I want excellent picture quality but i dont want a big DSLR, i want something which will fit in my pocket. My budget is 20-25k....please help soon with ur inputs and comments.

Lumix LX3

Sent from my iPod touch

thank you for the reply guys......at what price does the lumix 3 retail??? and i was also thinking canon s90 and sony tx7.... what do you think about that??? also will the panansonic take excellent pictures in low light and auto mode???

thank you for the reply guys......at what price does the lumix 3 retail??? and i was also thinking canon s90 and sony tx7.... what do you think about that??? also will the panansonic take excellent pictures in low light and auto mode???

Uncle Mark Gift Guide and Almanac

As per Uncle Mark, Canon Powershot SD780IS. Compact, loaded with features, well built, good price ($200), but average performance. Will give you "Canon" value - i.e. a well balanced compact camera for an average user that will take decent pictures and decent video.

Low light - LX3, S90, Fujifilm F200EXR. Superb performers.

LX3, S90 - more than $400. Probably 30-35k in India, although you should check. In both these cameras, you pay extra for full manual features, and for a larger sensor and brighter lens for better low light photography. Built for enthusiasts who want the features of a DSLR and size of a P&S.

F200EXR - about 19k, but almost equally good performer, especially in low light.

Uncle Mark Gift Guide and Almanac

As per Uncle Mark, Canon Powershot SD780IS. Compact, loaded with features, well built, good price ($200), but average performance. Will give you "Canon" value - i.e. a well balanced compact camera for an average user that will take decent pictures and decent video.

Low light - LX3, S90, Fujifilm F200EXR. Superb performers.

LX3, S90 - more than $400. Probably 30-35k in India, although you should check. In both these cameras, you pay extra for full manual features, and for a larger sensor and brighter lens for better low light photography. Built for enthusiasts who want the features of a DSLR and size of a P&S.

F200EXR - about 19k, but almost equally good performer, especially in low light.

I purchased LX3 for 26K from ebay India.

HTH
Regards

also consider the F200 EXR...i use it... It's not as good as the LX3, but for about 17k it's still superb value, and it's more compact and pocketable than the LX3.

ok now we have the lx3 and s90 which i hear good reviews about, though the lx3 is a slightly bigger than the s90, but wat baout other user friendly cams like the sonys tx7 or hx5v or canon ixus range????

I dont know what this is but the author looks like an apple fanboi.

Mark Hurst, the author - is actually a pretty cool guy. He has written a few good books on managing information overload, being more effective/productive with digital gadgets, and is somewhat of a "usability/design" guru. He also runs a pretty good forum in NY once a year called "GEL".

Anyway, his advice is geared towards keeping things simple for a lay person, and his recommendations are mostly based on how "usable" and useful a gadget is. This is also the reason why he mostly has only one recommendation on one product category.

I'm no Apple flag bearer by any stretch, but all said and done, Apple does make the most user-friendly gadgets and software interfaces among ALL the other competitors. We can't argue about that, whether we like Apple or not. If I was recommending a computer or phone for my computer clueless uncle, Apple would be my first and second choice, no doubt about that.

Do note that the OP also mentioned that he wanted a pocketable camera and wanted to mostly run it on "auto" mode.

Ultimately, if you think of it, even many of us "gadget freaks" end up buying complex gadgets because of the "powerful features" they have - but how many times after the initial exploratory phase do we really use the exotic features? Sometimes a bog standard but easy to use camera or phone becomes a more productive tool even for an expert user.

Well the S90 has a big sony HAD CCD sensor its good for low light,the other cameras like TX7,HX5 has a smaller sensor but is also good for low light since its based on EXMOR tech.The LX3 is also good choice but i would go with the S90 for the slightly extra zoom.

BUt if you want really good image quality try searching the grey market for the Sony NEX3 or 5 ,they will blow away every other small camera and even many DSLR,since it has the latest and arguably class leading APS-C size EXMOR sensor that is used in DSLRs,it will fit in your pocket if you use the 16mm pancake lens,you can also take the 18-55mm lens in the other pocket.the camera is smaller then the canon G11 and about the same size as a apple I phone.
Its user friendly as well.
4608561438_d1a87663dd_b.jpg

Last edited:
i dont know what do you mean by best point and shoot camera.
but i would be looking for a super-zoom comparable with a DSLR.
There are very good cameras that give a zoom of 15-25X optical zoom.
I think you need to check them out.

Well the S90 has a big sony HAD CCD sensor its good for low light,the other cameras like TX7,HX5 has a smaller sensor but is also good for low light since its based on EXMOR tech.The LX3 is also good choice but i would go with the S90 for the slightly extra zoom.

BUt if you want really good image quality try searching the grey market for the Sony NEX3 or 5 ,they will blow away every other small camera and even many DSLR,since it has the latest and arguably class leading APS-C size EXMOR sensor that is used in DSLRs,it will fit in your pocket if you use the 16mm pancake lens,you can also take the 18-55mm lens in the other pocket.the camera is smaller then the canon G11 and about the same size as a apple I phone.
Its user friendly as well.
[/IMG]

Ooohooohooo! My next camera!! :licklips:

And I haven't even started using the LX3 properly .. been mostly lying around since a year!! :mad:

Thanks for informing me that I need to spend more money even before I start to enjoy my previous purchase :eek:hyeah::D

Cheers

i dont know what do you mean by best point and shoot camera.
but i would be looking for a super-zoom comparable with a DSLR.
There are very good cameras that give a zoom of 15-25X optical zoom.
I think you need to check them out.

ok by a p&s camera i mean a compact digital camera with good features yet is easy simple and fast to use...................something that will fit into my pocket but will also deliver excellent pics even when taken in the AUTO mode of the cam.....i hope im being a little more clear now.

the sony nex3 agruably would take better pictures than the compact p&s but it is definitely bigger and more complicated to use......i guess it fall in the micro 4 3rds category of cameras with the epl1s and sorts......but for right im looking for a beginner proof camera with excellent images and decent video capabilities and since im spending about 25k i would want to go with the best compact in the market...... please suggest some more... thankx for the inputs tho

Ooohooohooo! My next camera!! :licklips:

And I haven't even started using the LX3 properly .. been mostly lying around since a year!! :mad:

Thanks for informing me that I need to spend more money even before I start to enjoy my previous purchase :eek:hyeah::D

Cheers

Exactly. **** all advanced features. I personally think they are all pushed down my throat.
Ultimately I end up using the auto mode and it gives more than better pictures for the kind of photographer I am. :eek:hyeah:

Get the canon ixus with lowest specification and be happy has been my policy. Interestingly, all the interest in phography went away when the camera came home and I leave the camera at home purposefully most of the time in fears of having to stand "behind" the camera instead of in "front" of it if you get what I mean.. :D :eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
Exactly. **** all advanced features. I personally think they are all pushed down my throat.
Ultimately I end up using the auto mode and it gives more than better pictures for the kind of photographer I am. :eek:hyeah:

Get the canon ixus with lowest specification and be happy has been my policy. Interestingly, all the interest in phography went away when the camera came home and I leave the camera at home purposefully most of the time in fears of having to stand "behind" the camera instead of in "front" of it if you get what I mean.. :D :eek:hyeah:

I know many DSLR owners who bought them only for PQ and have never touched the manual controls,the only mode they choose are the auto and video mode.
same thing goes for manual focus.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back