Best subwoofer under 40k

Well then you'll either have to manage extending your budget or reducing expectations as most subs under 40-50k will have a frequency response around the 35hz(+- a couple hz) mark and in that regard the rel hits the best balance. You also have the option of a pre-owned sub if by any chance you can find one on the forum itself

Well then you'll either have to manage extending your budget or reducing expectations as most subs under 40-50k will have a frequency response around the 35hz(+- a couple hz) mark and in that regard the rel hits the best balance. You also have the option of a pre-owned sub if by any chance you can find one on the forum itself
Are REL HT series sub approprriate for a music focused stereo system or something like T5x will be more suitable.

I am currently running Elac B6.2 which have some bass on their own too.

Are REL HT series sub approprriate for a music focused stereo system or something like T5x will be more suitable.

For music focused setuop the T5x is the way to go, even the sonus faber gravis I can be given a thought as it blended superbly with the sonetto I's when I auditioned the sonus fabe set with an accupahse E-270.

You need to figure out the type of bass that you want. The REL T series focuses on blend and disappearing i.e. it sounds like a natural extension of your speakers output.

However, the output is limited and won't go as loud or dig as deep as the HT series which focuses more on SPL and impact but trades it for the ultimate degree of finesse attainable with the T. Most people think they're in the "disappearing" category as colouration through subwoofer is frowned upon but that you need to level with yourself.

I use the T series but honestly, i don't mind hearing the sub a bit. Since you mentioned mixed usage, I'd pick the HT if i found myself in your shoes.

You need to figure out the type of bass that you want. The REL T series focuses on blend and disappearing i.e. it sounds like a natural extension of your speakers output.

However, the output is limited and won't go as loud or dig as deep as the HT series which focuses more on SPL and impact but trades it for the ultimate degree of finesse attainable with the T. Most people think they're in the "disappearing" category as colouration through subwoofer is frowned upon but that you need to level with yourself.

I use the T series but honestly, i don't mind hearing the sub a bit. Since you mentioned mixed usage, I'd pick the HT if i found myself in your shoes.

I do listen and party to a substantial amount of Techno so definitely I will be requiring a bit of that extra thump.

The output from the sub is very low .... as subwoofer pre out from Denon 500 BT is (connecting to LFE of Rythmik) giving low signals ....

I played it connecting the L R of the Rythmik to my mobile .... The sound was then better .... in fact it reached the level what it should be ( volume at 12'o clock )
I think increasing the frequency on the sub will solve this problem

Are REL HT1003 MKii for around ~80k the best subs that money can buy?

Primary usage for stereo music but would be used for shows and movies too.

Are REL HT1003 MKii for around ~80k the best subs that money can buy?

Primary usage for stereo music but would be used for shows and movies too.
I believe so. I'm also in search of a subwoofer. I couldn't find anything better than the Rel within that price range.

I am using REL HT/1003 MK-II with my Wharfdales and Marantz AV receiver in a 14*10 room and am quite pleased with it both for music and movies.

The sub level is set to -1dB on the AVR and around 40% on the REL volume knob.

I don't like the bass to be sofa shaking, window pane rattling levels and this REL is perfect for my needs.

I don't like the bass to be sofa shaking, window pane rattling levels and this REL is perfect for my needs.
That's weird. I run a couple of RELs which give me the sofa shaking bass (when music is at high volumes) and at the same time, also disappear completely. For example, "Hills" by our very own A.P.Dhillon has some insane deep bass that vibrates you to the core and compels your listening chair into giving you a good and righteous back massage. Try it with a sub that can't dig as deep or isn't loading the run properly and you'll miss the MOJO of the entire song. The vibrations i.e. the sub bass is key to the entire presentation. Movies have many such scenes where intensity of the moment is often conveyed through a visceral bass impact. To miss out on it is to miss out on what the artist/ producer intended.

It's possible the sub is not pressurizing your room properly and not extending as low as it should due to placement or phase issues. It's worthwhile getting a Umik to check extension and output and makes dialing in a sub a breeze.

To prevent rattling windows, install good quality double glazed windows. They not only prevent the glass from rattling but also stop ambient noise from getting in and just as significantly, those bass tunes you're rocking from leaking out and disturbing your neighbors.

The sub level is set to -1dB on the AVR and around 40% on the REL volume knob.
Thats dependent on the sensitivity of your main speakes and their extension. For example, if you have 90+db speakers, you'll have to set the gain pretty high whereas for 84db speakers, it'll have to be very low.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back