Best way to play 78 rpm records

Hiten

Hello Everyone
As a vinyl record collector I collect LP records. Nowadays I have started collecting 78 RPM Records also, though in small numbers.
my question is :
If Record Players with all the speeds (33, 45 & 78) give us RIAA equilisation what is the best way to play 78 rpm records ?
(Because I think we don't need equilisation in 78s record playback)
Thanks
Hiten

Thanks cranky for the reply
That's what I want to know as 78 rpm records does not require equilisation, record players with all the speeds must be having equilisation circuits in them. So I think they are not best to play 78 rpm records.
Kindly tell me if you happen to know low impedance ceramic cartridges player models or company name so as I can look for them in Mumbai (chorbazar)
Thanks again
Hiten

Hello Everyone
As a vinyl record collector I collect LP records. Nowadays I have started collecting 78 RPM Records also, though in small numbers.
my question is :
If Record Players with all the speeds (33, 45 & 78) give us RIAA equilisation what is the best way to play 78 rpm records ?
(Because I think we don't need equilisation in 78s record playback)
Thanks
Hiten

Your player shoudl be capable of playing from 50 - 85 rpm (sound like yours does) since most the of the 78s don't play at that rate. The early Columbia records played at 80
A quality tone arm and special styli that have been made especially for playing the 78s. Suprisingly ifyou know someone in States or Europe, these things sell for real cheap all over.

Thanks everyone for helping
I am under the impression that Long Play (LP) records format was developed to include more playtime with microgroove technology. Low frequency (bass) loud sound were cut in to disc a little reduced so that it will not take more width of the groove and RIAA equilisation circuits were used to boost these frequencies at playtime.
So my point was if a player has all the speeds why should we play 78s with equilisation done on them. I have a very old small Philips (made in India) three speed player with inbuilt amplifier.

From my understanding, not all records had equalisation built into them. I think pre- 1950 or 1955 acoustic ones did not have it. I could be off by a few years on the dates.

Also it was not only bass that was cut (requiring a boost during playback), but also the treble (roll off) requiring a compensation for preemphasis.

Since the RIAA curves were introduced as a standarisation mechanism, all LP pre-amps support it.

Bottom line not all records use RIAA curves.

So my point was if a player has all the speeds why should we play 78s with equilisation done on them. I have a very old small Philips (made in India) three speed player with inbuilt amplifier.[/QUOTE]

Which Philips Player do you have?

Hi
I have absolutely no Idea. Model number is not written on it, not in front, back or anywhere. Here is attached picture of it. By the way a friend told me these models were without equilisation so I am happy to play 78s on them.
Thanks everyone for helping
regards

Last edited:
Hello Hiten,
what a coincidence this is the exact record player I have. Good to see it still works for you. Is there a way to connect it to a receiver using phono jack.I have lost the speakers only the player remains.
thanks,
Mahiruha.

Hi Mahiruha
You will need DIN Connector (See Attached Pic.) and make proper connection. From your record player take line out (5 pin DIN socket) through DIN connector to your receiver's Phono in (Ceramic) If it is Magnetic Phono in sound will be very loud so be very careful. First try at zero volume. then step by step increase little volume. I hope this helps. Which receiver/Amplifier you intend to use ? does it have separate ceramic and magnetic phono line in switch ? Only old amplifiers used to have them. I use my PC to listen to 78s.
Regards
Hiten

Attachments

• pin.jpg
    pin.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 67
Hi StudioMaster
Nice to know you have similar player. It is very good simple design, Very Compact and sound is good too.
Regards

Hi Mahiruha
You will need DIN Connector (See Attached Pic.) and make proper connection. From your record player take line out (5 pin DIN socket) through DIN connector to your receiver's Phono in (Ceramic) If it is Magnetic Phono in sound will be very loud so be very careful. First try at zero volume. then step by step increase little volume. I hope this helps. Which receiver/Amplifier you intend to use ? does it have separate ceramic and magnetic phono line in switch ? Only old amplifiers used to have them. I use my PC to listen to 78s.
Regards
Hiten

Hello Hiten,
thanks for your reply. My receiver is Onkyo TX-SR 705. no idea if it is magnetic phono in or ceramic phono in. How do you connec it to ur pc. I guess a pc based solution will be more appropriate for me with that player.I am also not sure if the cartriges work anymore. In that case where can I get cartridge?
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Hi Mahiruha
Onkyo TX-SR 705 does have phono in but I would not suggest to hook it up to record player. Because this player has no proper earthing and why take a chance.
To connect to PC I have Regular Stereo Pin (Same as pin attached to headphone) at other end of din pin. you can insert stereo pin in your pc's line in.
Regards

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back