Best WiFi Router under 5K

idlebrain

Hi Folks,

I Didn't see any thread on WiFi Routers so posting here.
Can you guys please suggest me which would be the Best WiFi router around for home use?
I am using Airtel Broadband and will do lots of downloads like torrents, if this is one of the deciding factor.
Mostly connects to laptop some times to Blu ray player and HTiB.

Budget is 5K if demands but not more than that.

Regards
Satya.

Ultimately depends upon which technology you opt for. If you opt fo 802.11G you can get a Netgear (WGR614) for about 1500 and a Belkin (F5D7230-4) for about 2250. If you opt for 802.11N, most routers will cost between 4 to 6K.

I have used two models of Belkin and one model of Netgear. I have found Belkin to the the easiest to install, extremely fast, and capable of covering long distances. Belkin's usually cover upto 1700 feet. I have a Belkin N-Vision that beats my Netgrear hollow. And, Belkin's support is exceptional. Like APC, they give you a replacement, no questions asked. Just remember to keep your purchase proof.

For prices look at these sites:

Wireless Router Price in India - Latest and Updated
Techtree.com India > Guides > Price List > Wi-Fi Products Pricelist: June 2006

The site - Belkin N150 Wireless Router Prices, Buy Belkin N150 Wireless Router India, Compare Prices, Reviews, Shops, Specs, Buy/Sell online?|?| TolMol India - shows good prices for Belkin N routers.

Cheers

There are quite a few routers you can choose from in that range - prominent companies are Netgear, Belkin, D-link etc
However I suggest you take a call on Wifi 802.11 n first.
Wifi 802.11 b/g routers - which are the most commonly available - can stream upto theoretical max of 54 MBps. Which is more than enough for our ISPs which max out at 2 MBps usually.
802.11 n is the new standard which can stream in excess of 100 MBps (theoretical max of 540) and over larger areas. While it may seem like an overkill, I suggest you consider it, because if not now immediately, 2 years later you might want to stream music/movies stored in one computer to another. Maybe a dedicated HTPC, a WD TV or a gaming console in your living room.
802.11 b/g doesnt have enough bandwidth to smoothly stream big files - but 802.11 n can handle it easily.

However downsides to 802.11n are there - its not supported in the older hardware - so you wont see higher speeds unless the laptop/HTPC that you are using has a 802.11 n card. Ofcourse, they would work - but only at 802.11 b/g speeds

Also, 802.11 n routers are costlier than the b/g routers which are in the 2-2.5K range. For 802.11 n routers, you probably have to pay 6-7K

I would suggest going for the 802.11 n even at the extra cost ... especially since you indicated you are going to download lots of movies etc.

You can contact Airtel customer care, they will provide router which costs around 1500 and you need to buy an adapter for your computer if router is located away from your computer/laptop.

Recently I bought a Linksys wireless Adapter (54 MBPS) which costs me 1599. Performance and installation process was good as it comes from the Leader in network products CISCO

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Looks like majority suggests Belkin N Series one. I will go for this considering its advantages.

Airtel will provide WiFi Router for extra 1k but if I change the subscriber, they will take back the router without refunding the amount so decided to go for a new one.

Regards
Satya.

Thanks guys. Looks like majority suggests Belkin N Series one. I will go for this considering its advantages.

Airtel will provide WiFi Router for extra 1k but if I change the subscriber, they will take back the router without refunding the amount so decided to go for a new one.

Regards
Satya.

No need to go for N router. A G is pretty good and will hold on for a few years. Don't buy a B if you are connecting multiple machines at home.
Linksys, Belkin, D-Link are good.

Hi Folks,

I Didn't see any thread on WiFi Routers so posting here.
Can you guys please suggest me which would be the Best WiFi router around for home use?
I am using Airtel Broadband and will do lots of downloads like torrents, if this is one of the deciding factor.
Mostly connects to laptop some times to Blu ray player and HTiB.

Budget is 5K if demands but not more than that.

Regards
Satya.

Hi Satya
If you are planning to use router in the regular range, then will recommend to try out the beetel wireless router which they are providing for 1k is a good deal, it comes with 4 Ethernet ports and one wireless antenna, the range is good and it works well.

Try the beetel out first before spending any more money. as u don't need to run multiple devices,

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back