BiAmping a speaker using a stereo amp

cmsajith

I have a set of speaker which doesnt have Bi Amping provision \ terminals. Is there any way to bi-amp it using a stereo amp? How to change the existing connections to accommodate a biamp connection, or is it possible to do that by using the existing crossover?(I am not planning to use active crossovers.)

Oh sorry, for the confusion. I have a set of speakers which doesnt have biamp terminals. I am planning to biamp a speaker (for the time being) with a stereo amp (Left channel for low-mids and right for tweeters). How to do that?

hi
you want to drive a single speaker with 2 amp channels and you dont have a second set of binding posts on the speaker? Do you want to open up the binding post and access the speaker drivers directly? If no, there is no way to do it

cheers

hi
you want to drive a single speaker with 2 amp channels and you dont have a second set of binding posts on the speaker? Do you want to open up the binding post and access the speaker drivers directly? If no, there is no way to do it

cheers

Exactly.
Yes, I can open up the terminals and access the drivers.

Looking for a way to do it..

Last edited:
You open up the binding post and see if there are two cross overs or one.

If you have two xovers, disconnect them from binding posts and connect the left channel to one xover and the right to the other using separate cables. This is fairly simple job.

If you have one xover, then you need to fiddle with the xover to separate the LF and HF components. This needs certain expertise.

no, not yet. I didnt get how to feed the drivers separately w/o active crossovers. Moreover, does a passive biamping is effective?

no, not yet. I didnt get how to feed the drivers separately w/o active crossovers.
Have you opened the crossover and checked the numbers? Why do you need active crossovers to drive the speakers? Won't the existing passive ones drive them? What exactly is your objective?
Moreover, does a passive biamping is effective?
What is this passive bi-amping?:confused:

I think he is referring to bi-amping where the crossover is still in the speaker, that is after the amps, as opposed to bi-amping with a crossover before the amps so that the amps work only on the relevant frequencies.

My experience is that it does work better than bridging the same amps for the same speakers and connecting through a single speaker cable.

Thanks,

I think he is referring to bi-amping where the crossover is still in the speaker, that is after the amps, as opposed to bi-amping with a crossover before the amps so that the amps work only on the relevant frequencies.

My experience is that it does work better than bridging the same amps for the same speakers and connecting through a single speaker cable.

Biamping means driving a set of speakers using two stereo amps in the following ways: -

1. Vertical Bi-amping where two amps of same make / model are bridged and are connected to each of the speakers. This doesn't require touching the existing cross-over. However, the amps must be carefully matched.

2. Horizontal Bi-amping where two amps similar / dis-similar (Can be Two SS / Two Tube / One Tube & one SS) to drive different drivers of the speaker set, one driving Tweeters / Tweeters & Mids of the speaker set and the other driving the woofer. This is only possible if there are independent cross-overs to each of the drivers; if not, the crossover needs to be tweaked to separate the LF / HF sections.

Hope this helps.

Rajesh

Thanks,

Exactly. I am not planning to go for a pure biamping w/ active crossovers. I am looking for a passive biamping for the time being. I am planning to go for a DIY amp kit (mono for each channel / each driver.

Please guide me how to convert the current crossover (1 pair terminal) to support passive biamping w/ two separate terminals for low and high..

Last edited:
Exactly. I am not planning to go for a pure biamping w/ active crossovers. I am looking for a passive biamping for the time being.
I think there is some confusion here. Bi-amping has nothing to do with active / passive cross-overs. Bi-amping can be done using both passive and active crossovers.

Please guide me how to convert the current crossover (1 pair terminal) to support passive biamping w/ two separate terminals for low and high..

Read my this post
If you have two x-overs, (Existing inside the speaker) disconnect them from binding posts and connect the left channel to one x-over and the right to the other using separate cables. This is fairly simple job.

If you have one x-over, (Existing inside the speaker) then you need to fiddle with the x-over to separate the LF and HF components. This needs certain expertise.

I think there is some confusion here. Bi-amping has nothing to do with active / passive cross-overs. Bi-amping can be done using both passive and active crossovers.

Read my this post

Rajesh, please google to find what is biamping.

My question was if the current crossover doesnt support (only 1 pair terminals) passive biamping, then how to make it compatible.

Last edited:
Rajesh, please google to find what is biamping.

My question was if the current crossover doesnt support (only 1 pair terminals) passive biamping, then how to make it compatible.

Cmsajith, I'm fairly well aware of what is bi-amping. I don't think we are understanding each other's point. I leave the arena to others.:)

Thank you for the article which has correctly brought out several issues with bi-amplification. I've read substantial info regarding bi-amping in the last one month so am aware of what has been brought out in the article.

I do not agree on one thing in the article in that it states that bi-amping with passive crossovers is not true bi-amping.

Kindly find an image of a crossover of a two way speaker with one pair of binding posts.

The upper part of the circuit depicts the crossover part for the tweeter and the lower part depicts the crossover part for the woofer. You need to take out the crossover and separate these two parts by de-soldering and then connect each channel of your amp to each of these two sections.

Attachments

• Single X-over for 2 way speaker.jpg
    Single X-over for 2 way speaker.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 29
Thank you for the article which has correctly brought out several issues with bi-amplification. I've read substantial info regarding bi-amping in the last one month so am aware of what has been brought out in the article.

I do not agree on one thing in the article in that it states that bi-amping with passive crossovers is not true bi-amping.

Kindly find an image of a crossover of a two way speaker with one pair of binding posts.

The upper part of the circuit depicts the crossover part for the tweeter and the lower part depicts the crossover part for the woofer. You need to take out the crossover and separate these two parts by de-soldering and then connect each channel of your amp to each of these two sections.

Is it so simple? Dont we need to match the overall impedance of the drivers, powerhandling capacity etc?

I think w/o bypassing the XOs it is not a pure biamping coz' the XOs limits the power which is produced by the extra amp (to an extend), but in effect it will be better than connecting a single amp. Thats the reason why i am going for this passive biamping and later will do with active XOs.

Currently I am looking for biamping my center channel speaker. Amp will be Onkyo 606 Front Left o/p for Low Freq and Right o/p for highs. (Speaker : Space Audio Tower Speaker - http://www.spaceaudioinc.com/prod6.htm)

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back