BIG TV-Second month

despite big tv claims of a 16:9 wide screen signal the fact is they are still giving a 4:3 signal.
i have conected using a profigold banbridge component cables the quality is great compared to composite but not by much.
whats sucks in big tv is their after sales and service.

Lag??
Big TVs output has a lag of 4-6 seconds than other source.
This was demonstrated by a dealer.
Is this a problem?
Especially very bad for share traders !!!!

Hemant

16:9/ 4:3 are aspect ratios. length of image or screen / height (width?) of image or screen.

I doubt if big tv (or any other dth /cable operator) can provide "true" 16:9 feeds without the source (tv programs) being mastered in that format. The broadcasters will also have to share the feed with DTH /cable operators in 16:9 format which would be like providing same channel twice (one for 4:3 format and another for 16:9 format).

May be some movies channels (32 cinema halls or theaters as they call) would be available in 16:9 format but i am not aware if the STBs can handle that..

May be some movies channels (32 cinema halls or theaters as they call) would be available in 16:9 format but i am not aware if the STBs can handle that..

Germany's Deutsche Welle (DWtv) is currently the only broadcaster offering a true 16:9 signal. Not for all programs but at certain hours in the day. The STB lets you crop or letterbox it on 4:3 screens or get a full 16:9 display on a widescreen display.

I am sure more will follow. The BBC use a very clever 14:9 ratio that lets you "crop" it on a widescreen or letterbox it on 4:3 without significant loss of data.

Even Tata sky STB has an option of choosing between 4:3 & 16:9 in the picture settings menu, but it does not have any effecton the picture's aspect ratio.

Even Tata sky STB has an option of choosing between 4:3 & 16:9 in the picture settings menu, but it does not have any effecton the picture's aspect ratio.

but the problem is big tv say in their interactive demo that people who have a HD flat screen display to change the settings to 16:9 and also mentioned in the manual,further more the their CC argue that 16:9 mode works there by lying to the customers.

Update on Big TV:

1) Radio channels operational.. :D
2) The usability (which I was cribbing about earlier) has now been slightly changed. By pressing the left arrow key on the remote, you get something similar to the TS guide, only better because now, the original channel runs in the background while you select the category of channel (music/movies etc) you want to watch.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi
16:9 and 4:3 depends on the orginal format of the telecaster, if you have a LCD TV you can use that for viewing as you wish, so I think this will put to rest addr's doubt. Does anybody know about the USB provided at the back of the STB and when it is going to be commissioned by BIG TV

Hi
16:9 and 4:3 depends on the orginal format of the telecaster, if you have a LCD TV you can use that for viewing as you wish, so I think this will put to rest addr's doubt. Does anybody know about the USB provided at the back of the STB and when it is going to be commissioned by BIG TV

well even the pay per view movie channels are 4:3 ,there is abosolutely no difference b/w 4:3 and 16:9 mode,they can infact remove that option since the picture still comes in 4:3.
as far as the USB well it may be for servicing or software update,but when the STB had an earlier version of firware and software ,just before u press the manual download option u will be warned that all data in DVR will be lost,so my guess is that it could be to add a DVR.

BIGTV does have Y Pb Pr component video O/P

component Video

Y,Cb,Cr component video :refers to an interlaced scan-only component video connection. A Y,Cb,Cr connection typically is not capable of passing through a high defintiion video signal.

Y Pb Pr Component video: is capable of carrying signals such as 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p(HD Ready TV's), 1080i and 1080p(Full HD Tv's). (Component video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

So, HD video signal over component will work fine, but to get HD Sound ,18MBPS & above audio signal of True HD and HD MA, will require HDMI, only HDMI has the required bandwidth to carry both the video and the sound signal(because component carries only video signal).

MPEG-4

MPEG-4 is simply a newer, more efficient compression algorithm. For the same image quality, MPEG-4 will produce a lower bit rate, requiring less bandwidth aka higher compression. And at the same bit rate, MPEG-4 provides a higher quality image. The reason satellite providers are switching to MPEG-4 from MPEG-2 is because they can get the same image quality with less bandwidth. MPEG-4 is a compression standard that can be widely used not only for satellite transmissions but even for terrestrial TV, CATV, and even IP (Internet Protocol) TV.

BOTH Mpeg-2 and Mpeg-4 technologies can send HD Signals via compression algorithm, MPEG4 High Def will use less bandwidth than a MPEG2 High Def, So bigtv might use MEASAT high definition (HD) video distribution solution for HD channels(see below).

"US goes MPEG-4 for high def services, HBO USA announced that all of their HD program's will now be distributed in MPEG-4 instead of MPEG-2" .US TV - News - US goes MPEG-4 for high def services - Digital Spy

MESAT 3 sattellite systems

MEASAT has been cooperating with the industry's leading players to bring together a high definition (HD) video distribution solution tailor-made for the Asian market.

Developed with the support of Scientific-Atlanta and TANDBERG Television, leaders in MPEG-4 compression systems. TANDBERG Television say's ??Because of the benefits of MPEG-4 and DVB-S2 it is able to transmit an HD signal using the same transponder bandwidth that is currently being used for Standard definition(SD)".MEASAT Satellite Systems Sdn. Bhd.

Thanks,

I will ask different Q.
I m using Dish TV.I found hard to get signal in rainy season.
What can be possibilities with MPEG4?

Secondly ist compressed format,then PQ shld be inferior than MP2.

Anybody knows abt availability of Reliance IPTV? I called their helpline and they did not have a clue. website also does not mention anything regarding availability.

Anybody knows abt availability of Reliance IPTV? I called their helpline and they did not have a clue. website also does not mention anything regarding availability.

well at presently its only for people in mumbai,and i think its still in BETA stage.

Hi. I watched big tv for an hour at a shop and found picture quality no where near tata sky. It was a big lcd tv may be 40 in, and the picture transitions were not smooth and were pixelated. it was overcast outside. The contrast (which i think is where tata sky scores) is average compared to tatasky.

Back