BIG TV-Second month

square_wave

Quick questions to BIG TV users,
Now that BIG TV is into its second month, how are things going ? Any hassles ?
I am planning to take BIG TV or Tata sky this week. Any advice ? I am keen on BIG TV because of the component output and promise of HD content by the year end.

Quick questions to BIG TV users,
Now that BIG TV is into its second month, how are things going ? Any hassles ?
I am planning to take BIG TV or Tata sky this week. Any advice ? I am keen on BIG TV because of the component output and promise of HD content by the year end.

anyone who see PQ of bigtv in my HT really like it, i am using it thro' composite o/p, no idea about component yet (i have only used dishtv earlier)

Square my advice will be to wait it out for 2 more months as both airtel and videocon are launching Dth services , also big tv is having lot of teething problems, with lot of customers in the South India it's been over 10 days after buying the STB the installation has not happened ,

better is to hold on for 2 more months as u will have a wider choice and a competitive price from other providers :)

hi,
how is the picture quality on Big in comparison to Tata ? am thinking of switching over to big as it is offering Component input & may offer HD sooner.
Is Big beaming the recently launched channels like :Colors,9x,NDTV Imagine(Tata is offering them) etc.
Are we getting any extra or lesser channels on Big?
Please comment.

hi,
i have bought Big TV two weeks back. In fact i am also using ASIANET set top box here in Trivandrum. For me switching to asianet digital set top box from the regular cable (1year back) was a great relief, as the former is digital, hence picture quality was good..Then later took this big tv for my second tv, Panasonic 29inch).Connected the same through component.Picture quality is too good and so is sound quality.I am working in reliance communications, hence after deducting the dealer margin, i bought it for around 2XXX. The instrument cost is 1990(this includes the set top box with one year subscription,with almost 117 channels, incl star movies, hbo, discovery etc) and u pay an additional 200rs(go for it), u will also get all sports channels for one year. And first 3 months hindi movie on demand channels(almost 6 or 7) will be free. After tis period, u have to pay extra to watch these movies. And regarding the installation after registering, it just took 4 hours for the installation guys to land up at my house(they come with the dish etc..). Guys, don't think that since i am working in reliance, i am trying to praise this product, no way related to my department. This is for the benefit of all the forum members..CHEERS!!!

Airtel seems to be best in their broadband and Mobile tech, dont have a Airtel cell but their broadband service is fantastic, have a 8MB and they are very good whenever I had any trouble.

I have TATASKY already, but it does not have component out but composite out. Hope Airtel will atleast give us HDMI (lets all pray for that):D

Will wait and watch the game.

Hi Everyone...

Let add some information here:

HD television via satellite requires that the content that's being uplinked to be in HD format and both the uplink/downlink satellite transponders to be suitable compable for HD.

Reliance Big TV is downlinked on Measat 3 satellite, located at 91.5 degrees East. The transponders used are not HD but MPEG-4.

There are however other transponders that downlink HD, on the same satellite. National Geographic & History channels are examples.

MPEG-4 cannot be HD. The advantage of using MPEG-4 is the capability to accomodate more channels on the same transponder bandwidth.
I've not seen the big tv site mentioning the content to be on HD!

Furthermore, if you take a look at the satellite receiver, you'd notice that there are no HDMI connectors which are required for HD. What you have is composite outputs & RF outputs - neither of which can output HD.

I would suggest members to wait a while and see where things take a turn, else it would be a waste of resources!

Hi Everyone...

Let add some information here:

HD television via satellite requires that the content that's being uplinked to be in HD format and both the uplink/downlink satellite transponders to be suitable compable for HD.

Reliance Big TV is downlinked on Measat 3 satellite, located at 91.5 degrees East. The transponders used are not HD but MPEG-4.

There are however other transponders that downlink HD, on the same satellite. National Geographic & History channels are examples.

MPEG-4 cannot be HD. The advantage of using MPEG-4 is the capability to accomodate more channels on the same transponder bandwidth.
I've not seen the big tv site mentioning the content to be on HD!

Furthermore, if you take a look at the satellite receiver, you'd notice that there are no HDMI connectors which are required for HD. What you have is composite outputs & RF outputs - neither of which can output HD.

I would suggest members to wait a while and see where things take a turn, else it would be a waste of resources!

BIGTV does have Y Pb Pr component video O/P

component Video

Y,Cb,Cr component video :refers to an interlaced scan-only component video connection. A Y,Cb,Cr connection typically is not capable of passing through a high defintiion video signal.

Y Pb Pr Component video: is capable of carrying signals such as 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p(HD Ready TV's), 1080i and 1080p(Full HD Tv's). (Component video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

So, HD video signal over component will work fine, but to get HD Sound ,18MBPS & above audio signal of True HD and HD MA, will require HDMI, only HDMI has the required bandwidth to carry both the video and the sound signal(because component carries only video signal).

MPEG-4

MPEG-4 is simply a newer, more efficient compression algorithm. For the same image quality, MPEG-4 will produce a lower bit rate, requiring less bandwidth aka higher compression. And at the same bit rate, MPEG-4 provides a higher quality image. The reason satellite providers are switching to MPEG-4 from MPEG-2 is because they can get the same image quality with less bandwidth. MPEG-4 is a compression standard that can be widely used not only for satellite transmissions but even for terrestrial TV, CATV, and even IP (Internet Protocol) TV.

BOTH Mpeg-2 and Mpeg-4 technologies can send HD Signals via compression algorithm, MPEG4 High Def will use less bandwidth than a MPEG2 High Def, So bigtv might use MEASAT high definition (HD) video distribution solution for HD channels(see below).

"US goes MPEG-4 for high def services, HBO USA announced that all of their HD program's will now be distributed in MPEG-4 instead of MPEG-2" .US TV - News - US goes MPEG-4 for high def services - Digital Spy

MESAT 3 sattellite systems

MEASAT has been cooperating with the industry's leading players to bring together a high definition (HD) video distribution solution tailor-made for the Asian market.

Developed with the support of Scientific-Atlanta and TANDBERG Television, leaders in MPEG-4 compression systems. TANDBERG Television say's ??Because of the benefits of MPEG-4 and DVB-S2 it is able to transmit an HD signal using the same transponder bandwidth that is currently being used for Standard definition(SD)".MEASAT Satellite Systems Sdn. Bhd.

Last edited:
Hi Mandeep,

Thanks for taking a lot of time and effort for the clarifications.

However I would still recommend to stick to avoiding buying any DTH services until we have someone offering a True HD service.

If you follow the following link:

Measat 3 at 91.5°E - LyngSat or HD - LyngSat HD

You would find that the channels on HD are clearly distinguishable from what BigTV is using. Hence whether or not BigTV brings true HD is at their sole discretion.

Furthermore, I also feel that the satellite receiver should have the full HD capability, i.e. with HDMI interface, else, customers would be forced to upgrade their receivers and pay extra charges at a later point in time.
I do not think I'd be comfortable with that. Buying a satellite receiver should be a one time investment.

I would say that currently its just another DTH service!

Last edited:
Furthermore, I also feel that the satellite receiver should have the full HD capability, i.e. with HDMI interface, else, customers would be forced to upgrade their receivers and pay extra charges at a later point in time.
I do not think I'd be comfortable with that. Buying a satellite receiver should be a one time investment.

I would say that currently its just another DTH service!

yes you are right, but nothing seems to be a permanent solution now a days..as technology takes time to fully grow and become available to masses at the same time...

Hi

Big TV is the only service provider who gives STB with Component Video Output which is nothing but HD ( Video only) HDMI is Video integrated with Audio, moreover the pricing is very good for Rs. 2200 ( South Pack) you are getting almost everthing for one year. So, if somebody is going to come out with HDMI in future dump this and go for that. I feel Big TV is the only digital video provider now so go for it.

For my two bucks, here is my question. All DTH providers use smart card for account specifics. Is it possible to shop for a third party satellite receiver and use the same smart card?

Hi Kapz
I dont think you can use one smart card for another set top box as all the smart card most probably comes with some unique code which only the service providers STB can read and deceiper

Hey...

I am using Big tv from 3 weeks time...its fine..quality is good...but some disturbance when it is raining...

But i am not getting Few Channels...like Z net work, HBO , NEO sports etc...seems have to pay extra for them...

but its good.

Couple of things:

1. There is no dedicated audio channel as claimed- there is a provision for providing the content in the future. Music channels like MTV/VH1/V etc are there.

2. The picture quality is good on my 21 in CRT.

3. There needs to be a single cable running from the dish to the set-top box (no joins). This means, installation is a pain if you are in an apartment with internal wiring for cable tv. The installation people are not co-operative and want to lay/route the cable all over the house.

4. There is also a provision for 32 cinema channels, which one has to subscribe to. I can only see the movie titles..:( But the movies being played are good.

5. Installation time is down to around 3-4 working days from an earlier backlog of 14 days.

6. The set-top box is slow to respond to remote inputs and the UI is not intuitive unlike TS (to me at-least).

7. If you go for it, do call up the toll free number and get the work-order number even if the guys you are buying it from say that they will do it. It will be faster that way.

Besides, I am happy to be able to show all kinds of fingers to the local cable wala...:D

Cheers!

@ palo: I am using a south starter pack and all the channels you mention are free. Please check if it is part of your plan or you have a specific problem.

Last edited:
So its confirmed BigTV has component video out.
Now the important question is whether airtel will give us HDMI, If they are then i will wait for that rather than spend for BigTV now ....

Hi saiket

for few days i got them for free...but now i called up Ccare also..they said i have to pay...i think i got its free for 10 days...

my package is 2200 ...free for 1 year...

no idea what to do!1

when u took it man??

So its confirmed BigTV has component video out.
Now the important question is whether airtel will give us HDMI, If they are then i will wait for that rather than spend for BigTV now ....

Perish any such noble thoughts. Airtel STB only has Composite out, like the TS and Dish STB. :mad:

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back