Bimbo nimbu bifrost multibit

Thinking of getting the yggdrasil, hoping it should be the last dac in this lifetime.

I've only read of it (or bimby this time or buber before it). To all accounts it should be really worth it.

For now I think the 60 - 65% of Yggy that hopefully should be with me mid month (and then I have to travel :( ) will engage and entertain.

Go for it !

ciao
gr

DHL charged me 6798 service tax @ 15% for swach kisan etc was 1074 eventually totalling 8518 with insurance.

So 9K, including auto to dhl and back(*) in getting the damn thing across to Valencia, CA:mad:

Weve received your product for upgrade!

Now, give us a couple of days to do the work, test the result, and burn it in. Then it
will be on its way back to you!

Well send another email when its been shipped, with a tracking number.

All the best,​

Wow !

Thank you for your order (#49170). We wanted to let you know that your order has been shipped. We hope our service has been great!

I should be all excited.

But there are many things to happen yet - including a possible eternal wait

ciao
gr

So.

Lots of non audio interest things scary happened, and I had actually forgotten about the empty shelf were the DAC used to be, or that I have to hang around impatiently for it.

Eventually got around to waiting for it. And did I wait ! Did not want it in carry on baggage, and I was carrying only soft luggage, I did not have any packaging apart from a towel , so got the nice lady at SpiceJet to add fragile stickers. Which then played out to an hour long wait to collect it at Hyd airport.

So eventually was reunited with my now multi bitted bifrost and a glass cable (found via a hfv thread) that I ordered from amazon

The original plan was to connect only the DAC and add the cable later, son just hooked everything up.

I've read that it needs a bit of burn in, has to be left on, will take time and so did not expect any rainbows and unicorns.

So far with about three hours and leaving it on overnight does not inspire wonderstruck descriptions. Voices are somehow nicer.

Travelling again till the end of the week after this brief reunion, have told the son to play something on it in the evenings.

ciao
gr

Last edited:
Leave the DAC on at all times. Just turn off the amp when not listening.

Audiophile speak says they sound best when "warmed" up.

I have all of my DACs hooked up to a pure sine wave home UPS so they are always on... even during power outages.

Some folks I know even have them playing at all times... but I've not gone that far yet.

Leave the DAC on at all times. Just turn off the amp when not listening

Thanks. That is the current arrangement.

Sadly my UPS is a tiny APC though, and I live in a "rural" part of Hyderabad where the power cuts are frequently longer than its back upability. Time to upgrade that now (the goal when purchasing that UPS was to be able to shut down the pc gracefully, the DAC consumes 12w so I should get a little longer than that)

ciao
gr

@sound_cycle
Good to hear that the upgraded unit reached safely.
Please post your opinions after you find some quality time with the new unit.
A lot of Schiit fanboys, like me, would want to read about it.

As for keeping it on always, it is your choice. MilSpec components need about 15-30 mins of "on" time to reach optimum levels of operation.

Cheers,
Raghu

So if you leave it on constantly and no electrons are flowing what exactly happens to make things "better"?

So if you leave it on constantly and no electrons are flowing what exactly happens to make things "better"?

I'd leave that to the engineers (or whatever you call the folks making the DACs) to decide/decipher.

Me, I enjoy listening to music, and implicitly follow the instructions in the manual.

FYI - http://schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/yggdrasil_manual_1_1.pdf

PS: At the very least its a fun read, filled with the usual Schiit humorous analogy.

Depending on clocking/re-clocking mechanism used, the initial frequency drift may be off from that intended by design. Once the system "warms up" this drift is said to come within acceptable range.

I had also read that multi-bit or ladder or R2R DACs need the resistor network to operate within tight spec. Since resistors in this part of the circuit take time to warm up due to low current, manufacturers may suggest leaving the unit on.

Cheers,
Raghu

I know :p

but i will leave it on. Mark Moffat says leave it on, powered on, not necessarily playing. There are various theories (and stuff that follows) on say head-fi and other places. The one that appealed to me, was that this weapons and medical application need to be on to be in thermal equilibrium, also because you never shut your radar or mri scanner off :indifferent14:

ciao
gr

Last edited:
so what else does Mark Moffat say ? ;)

i read somewhere else that Mark Moffat listens to vinyls only in his house..:lol::lol:
Delta sigma sucks and that he listens to bifrost at work

I remain a healthy sceptic about many things audio included

I used to be a DAC sceptic too - just saying confessionally

Last edited:
a pinch of salt... is always good for health..:)

let not the fan boys lead you away..

pinch ... reminds me of my class teacher in Std 5 who used to pinch kids to reality..from their dream world :lol:

a pinch of salt... is always good for health..:)

let not the fan boys lead you away..

I know, and live what you are saying

however another confession, if there were a schiit fanbois club, I would definitely be a card carrying member :eek:. This after trying out 1.1 of their products, interacting with their customer service and because of having dreams of eargasms with shimmery cymbals and holographic visions of hearing the 2nd row violinist who smelled up the music, <PINCH>:lol:

You forgot Life "Support Systems" :D

Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here. - Page 59

Again. Turn it on. Leave it on. Same for any other DAC (well, except DACs with tubes that you have to worry about lifespan on.)

No need to play anything through it.

If it doesn't shape up in 15 days, well, then maybe it's not for you.​

That was Jason Stoddard on head-fi. I've read Mike Moffat say something on these lines too (could not find it on flaky hotel wifi)

I have no idea how (or if) it works, but that's ok. I'm keeping it on. Regardless of the outcome (or not) I know for sure that my ears burn in to speakers and DACs over a few weeks :cool:

ciao
gr

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back