binding posts for loudspeakers

suri

for a DIY loudspeaker project which is nearing completion -

i want to use a simple (design) binding post - DIY - and which will ,reliably, achieve a gas-tight joint between the incoming wire and the receiving wire.

i have a silversmith who has agreed to fabricate such a thing.

so, if forum members have a good design, can i borrow?:)

single set or bi-wire set ?Moreover soldering days are gone, everyone crimps these days for gas-tight / fail-proof connections!

hi audio_engr

- single

- SO TRUE!! - aiming for a easy two-hand screw-down for a gas tight connection.

- for this project - i want to design an original and good binding post -

- i, originally, thought about the WBT terminals - and the ones that i wanted

(topline Cu) would cost $ 48/- each (as used on sonus faber) = Rs. 10,000/- for the set - the silver WBT (polished) would cost twice that.

i reckoned that i could get this done with good silver - at about that - but an original design.

rgeds

single set or bi-wire set ?Moreover soldering days are gone, everyone crimps these days for gas-tight / fail-proof connections!

hi audio_engr

- single

- SO TRUE!! - aiming for a easy two-hand screw-down for a gas tight connection.

- for this project - i want to design an original and good binding post -

- i, originally, thought about the WBT terminals - and the ones that i wanted

(topline Cu) would cost $ 48/- each (as used on sonus faber) = Rs. 10,000/- for the set - the silver WBT (polished) would cost twice that.

i reckoned that i could get this done with good silver - at about that - but an original design.

regds,
suri

Hi,

for this project - i want to design an original and good binding post -

i have a silversmith who has agreed to fabricate such a thing.

Wow now thats what I call a true DIY :clapping: !!! Man kudos to you for endeavoring with such conviction !!

Am sorry but I haven't gone that deep yet,though certain times I ponder on doing everything related to a speaker myself :lol: but for now have limited it to making drivers,boxes and such :D !!

Will surely try to conceptualize a design but won't promise anything ! Let me see if there are any active brain cells left kicking inside of me to get going on this (as most of them are dead by banging my head repeatedly for not being able to source quality components for my drivers and such) :lol: !!

Regards.

Why do you need binding posts in a DIY design?

I would simply solder the speaker wire direct to the crossover - no post, no problem.

The next best solution is screw terminals, believe it or not. The fact that they are mostly illegal precludes their use in domestic products, but for DIY types it's OK. Those should be reasonably easy.

It is also feasible to use a wire wrapper over a solid silver post, in the style of old amps and receivers. Those are truly gas-tight and self-sealing. You'll need the tool to wrap the wire though.

Finally, you try a simple copy of the Cardas or WBT posts. The WBT are a little more difficult as some close-tolerance manufacturing is required, and repeatability is the key to the consistent quality and finish of the post. The machined parts are brass or hardened copper alloy, and the plating is silver. I reckon solid silver be too soft for any applications involving torque, so threaded posts are out - maybe the reverse clip type posts can be used but those have a (metallic, steel, magnetic) spring in them and the parts are not that easy to DIY.

-need to make the speaker look mainstream and acceptable to mainstream people- yet extreme- insofar as function is concerned.

i will post a picture of what i think could work - hand drawn - please let me know if that will work.

wire wrapper over a solid silver post? - i must think of that - i have seen these - not silver, but a solid post with wire wrapped and some sort of araldite used to coat the union.

this is what i had in mind -

initial rendering - hope that you can see what i mean!:)

Hi,

Suri how are the binding posts idea's coming ???

Anyways I just thought to post a link for you to check the possibility of making a similar type (whichever you think is the best design) !!

Although as you say this is not strictly original ideas either from me or otherwise,but it does have one heck of choice for you to choose the design from :eek:hyeah: !!

Check out and see (post aswell ) what you think ;)! there are about 13 pages full of various designs so take time and Analise each one of them ;)!

Binding Posts

Regards.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back