blu-ray availability in india

Hi

Please forgive me for my ignorance. I am asking a very basic question. How an HD DVD (like Planet Earth by BBC in HD DVD) can be played in my PC? My monitor is full HD with Palit 4870 1 GB Sonic graphics card. Whether normal DVD writer (I have MoserBaer DVD writer)will be able to play HD DVD, or I have to purchase a special drive for playing HD DVD?

What's the difference in P.Q. between HD DVD and Blue Ray discs?

Thanks
Amit

Hi

Please forgive me for my ignorance. I am asking a very basic question. How an HD DVD (like Planet Earth by BBC in HD DVD) can be played in my PC? My monitor is full HD with Palit 4870 1 GB Sonic graphics card. Whether normal DVD writer (I have MoserBaer DVD writer)will be able to play HD DVD, or I have to purchase a special drive for playing HD DVD?

What's the difference in P.Q. between HD DVD and Blue Ray discs?

Thanks
Amit

You need a HD DVD Drive like Xbox 360 external HD DVD Drive which could also be attached to computer through USB cable and then you need software like power dvd with HD DVD playback compatabilty to play it on your pc. Generally most HD DVD's were Hybrids like they had one side for HD layer and on the other side of the disk they has normal DVD layer, so if you are lucky with your disk then you can play the normal DVD part on any computer with a DVD drive or a DVD player.

P.Q in HD DVD and Blu Ray disks are the same.

Thanks Ashsish and Spirovious.

I have played few HD movie clips /trailers, which are given in 'Chip' magazine DVDs in my PC and the picture is superb. I am interested to purchase 'Planet Earth' by BBC in HD DVD and some more from Amazon.usa. As I understood, I have to purchase an external HD DVD ROM /Writer and connect it through USB.

Is there any specific suggestion regarding model/ make of the external HD DVD ROM/writer? Are they easily available in India? What's their approx. price?

Thanks
Amit

Hi,

I have ordered and got a couple of blu-ray titles from AMAZON.COM...transaction is smooth..delivery time will be 2 to 3 weeks..no additional duty, only they charge transportation charges(8 to 9 dollars for two discs)...i had bought troy and gallapogs(2300rs for both), planet earth(2100rs), troy and shakira oral fixation tour(2300rs for both) at 3 different occasions..all are region free..BUT ANYBODY GOING TO BUY FROM AMAZON, pls order for HIT MAN, DAVID FOSTER and friends(not the movie),Amazon.com: Hit Man: David Foster And Friends [Blu-ray]: David Foster, not specified: Movies & TV
but a music concert with 13 different artists which can be used as a reference disc for picture and DTS hd audio..simply WOW!!!! this is an amazon exclusive...I have also ordered a couple of titles from e bay.in..transaction is fantastic(vijayeetha cd shop)..titles included I AM LEGEND,OM SHANTI OM,HANCOCK,THE DARK KNIGHT,RESIDENT EVIL etc..here mostly i use ebay discount coupons and get 10 to 15% discounts...

Thanks...

RENJITH,
Trivandrum

Is there any specific suggestion regarding model/ make of the external HD DVD ROM/writer? Are they easily available in India? What's their approx. price?

Amit, I don't understand why you are investing in HD-DVD. Toshiba, the principal owner of the technology, backed out of HD-DVD in February of 2008 after a large number of companies who own music and movies decided to side with Blu-Ray.

You will not have any new albums cut on HD-DVD since February 2008. The technology and drives will be completely dead in another 6 to 12 months.

Cheers

@AMITNOIDA - Total waste of money. The HD-DVD format is dead. You don't even get content for it and I don't think Amazon should be selling it. Invest instead on a PS3 or a Blu-Ray player and get Blu-Ray content if you really want to go the HD route. Otherwise the Oppo Blu-Ray player too is a good choice when it is available.

I have seen the Planet Earth series on Blu-Ray (available at Amazon.com: Planet Earth - The Complete BBC Series [Blu-ray]: David Attenborough: Movies & TV) and while it is very good I feel such content is better viewed on an IMAX screen. Hyderabad fortunately has an IMAX screen and theater and I've seen quite a few such documentary movies there and Full HD is just no patch on IMAX. IMAX will really show the director's vision...

Amit, I don't understand why you are investing in HD-DVD. Toshiba, the principal owner of the technology, backed out of HD-DVD in February of 2008 after a large number of companies who own music and movies decided to side with Blu-Ray.

You will not have any new albums cut on HD-DVD since February 2008. The technology and drives will be completely dead in another 6 to 12 months.

Cheers

VenkatSir, I love HD picture. If Blue ray player is the future, I will go for Blue ray player. Can HD DVDs be played in Blue ray player? What's the approx. price of Blue ray player now? Can it be fitted in my PC?

Thanks
Amit

@AMITNOIDA - Total waste of money. The HD-DVD format is dead. You don't even get content for it and I don't think Amazon should be selling it. Invest instead on a PS3 or a Blu-Ray player and get Blu-Ray content if you really want to go the HD route. Otherwise the Oppo Blu-Ray player too is a good choice when it is available.

I have seen the Planet Earth series on Blu-Ray (available at Amazon.com: Planet Earth - The Complete BBC Series [Blu-ray]: David Attenborough: Movies & TV) and while it is very good I feel such content is better viewed on an IMAX screen. Hyderabad fortunately has an IMAX screen and theater and I've seen quite a few such documentary movies there and Full HD is just no patch on IMAX. IMAX will really show the director's vision...

Thanks Rajiv for your valued advice. Can you please name few Blue ray player brands which can be either installed in my PC or can be connected through USB.

When OPPO Blue ray player will be available? Will it have USB connectivity for connecting with PC?

Thanks
Amit

VenkatSir, I love HD picture. If Blue ray player is the future, I will go for Blue ray player. Can HD DVDs be played in Blue ray player? What's the approx. price of Blue ray player now? Can it be fitted in my PC?

The picture quality of Blu-Ray and HD DVD are roughly the same. Both actually use the same blue laser and the differences were only in data storage methodology and the size of the discs.

A Blu-Ray player cannot play HD DVDs. It will play Blu-Ray discs, standard DVDs, Redbook CDs, etc.

For connecting to a PC, the current prices of a Blu-Ray drive is roughly 15K. These are bare drives like a DVD Writer or a CD Writer. You have to use software and sound/video hardware inside to use the drives properly.

Blu-Ray is the only technology in the market for high definition audio and video. The HD DVD technology, as I said before, has been withdrawn from the market.

Cheers

Thanks Rajiv for your valued advice. Can you please name few Blue ray player brands which can be either installed in my PC or can be connected through USB.

When OPPO Blue ray player will be available? Will it have USB connectivity for connecting with PC?

Thanks
Amit

The Oppo USB connectivity is not meant for active devices such as the PC. It is meant to be connected with USB drives/sticks and so on. Also Blu Ray disks can have information upto 20 - 25 GB and there is no way to transfer this properly onto USB devices at this time.

Thanks
Amit

I've seen one from Panasonic but it's only IDE, I've read quite good reviews of the Plextor, and good old Sony is there too. Only thing is right now they're expensive around 14-15K. The media is even more expensive and not easily available either. I'm not too sure though why you want a PC drive unless you're planning to rip content or burn on Blu-Ray media.

A PS3 or a standalone Blu-Ray player makes more sense. The Oppo is available only in the U.S. (will be soon that is) and will cost around 500 USD from initial reports.

There are other cheaper Blu-Ray players for even USD 300, but in the Indian context with warranty and other features the PS3 is the best option. You just have to replace the internal HDD and you have tons of disc space in your Blu-Ray player to store content.

Just wanted to post for everyone's iformation that I saw a Blu-Ray disc (for the movie "Anger Management") for Rs. 899, this is the first time I am seeing a single disc coming under 1000 without an offer (like a buy 1, get 1 free).

I think this is an encouraging sig.

Hi Psychotropic,

Great news!
Could you tell us where, in which store, did you see this?

Thanks,
Sharad

Hi,

I just bought the Oppo BDP-83 at Amazon and got it delivered from US. The player is fantastic. I also got a region free kit from ebay for 69$ and fitted it myself to convert it to region free for BR and DVD.

If you own a Citibank card, go to a site called Borderlinx.com. You can get all your internet purchases to Borderlinx in US or UK and they will ship the products for you.

You dont have to wait and i noticed that even after paying duties and courier charges, the deal is better than what you can ever get in India for high end electronics.

Pinaki

Hi Mishrpi,

Congrats on your Oppo purchase and hope you enjoy it to the fullest!

Can you let me know the breakup of customs, shipping and handling costs? How long did it take for the player to reach you?

Cheers,
S.

Hi,

I just bought the Oppo BDP-83 at Amazon and got it delivered from US. The player is fantastic. I also got a region free kit from ebay for 69$ and fitted it myself to convert it to region free for BR and DVD.

If you own a Citibank card, go to a site called Borderlinx.com. You can get all your internet purchases to Borderlinx in US or UK and they will ship the products for you.

You dont have to wait and i noticed that even after paying duties and courier charges, the deal is better than what you can ever get in India for high end electronics.

Pinaki

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back