Blu-ray player better than oppo 93/ 95

While I was reading this thread I am listening to Marantz-High-End Audiophile Test Demo SACD 14th Edition, on my Oppo BDP-95, received on Saturday. I am sending DSD through HDMI to Denon 4311 and my speakers are Wharfedale 9.1 with 2 SW150s.Surprise is I am enjoying this SACD the max as if this is the best. This is one of the best listens so far.

Are you saying that you are not using the analog out in oppo 95 ? If so then you are missing out a lot.

Are you saying that you are not using the analog out in oppo 95 ? If so then you are missing out a lot.

Yes, I am only using HDMI at the moment because of space constraint in my AV rack. Need to go for major revamp.But I feel even the Oppo BDP-95 > HDMI > DSD > Denon 4311 combination is magic.

Yes, I am only using HDMI at the moment because of space constraint in my AV rack. Need to go for major revamp.But I feel even the Oppo BDP-95 > HDMI > DSD > Denon 4311 combination is magic.

95 is twice as expensive as 93 for one reason and that is for its dedicated stereo output.

While I was reading this thread I am listening to Marantz-High-End Audiophile Test Demo SACD 14th Edition, on my Oppo BDP-95, received on Saturday. I am sending DSD through HDMI to Denon 4311 and my speakers are Wharfedale 9.1 with 2 SW150s.Surprise is I am enjoying this SACD the max as if this is the best. This is one of the best listens so far.

I find it strange that you have a AVR that costs over 1.2l + the Oppo 95 which is again around 50k and you use the Wharf 9.1 + 2x SW250

Don't you feel its time to move up the speaker chain

Oppo 95 has a reference quality 32 bit DAC. When you are sending the signal through HDMI u r bypassing it and using the denon dac..this is pure wastage of the oppo potential in my opinion. You should connect it via the 5.1 analog out of the oppo (apart from using the hdmi) and do a A/B comparison and post your impressions here...on paper it should be far better than what you are hearing from the denon

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Oppo 95 has a reference quality 32 bit DAC. When you are sending the signal through HDMI u r bypassing it and using the denon dac..this is pure wastage of the oppo potential in my opinion. You should connect it via the 5.1 analog out of the oppo (apart from using the hdmi) and do a A/B comparison and post your impressions here...on paper it should be far better than what you are hearing from the denon

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

For music you need to use dedicated stereo analog output.

It has separate 7.1 analog output as well

It would have been great if oppo allowed digital in. It would have made it an ultimate machine - disk spinner + streamer + dac. I hope there is something like that available somewhere.
For example - this is a dac+streamer but misses out spinning discs.

For music you need to use dedicated stereo analog output.

It has separate 7.1 analog output as well

I know, but he is listening to a SACD, I am assuming he is playing the multichannel content.

and you don't "need" to use the the dedicated stereo output, as both the outputs use the same DAC and the same PSU. Unless he is using the balanced XLR output, which I doubt he will be interested in.

It would have been great if oppo allowed digital in. It would have made it an ultimate machine - disk spinner + streamer + dac. I hope there is something like that available somewhere.
For example - this is a dac+streamer but misses out spinning discs.

fellow FM viki has a CD player which allows a digital in....not sure which brand it is though..

Hi,
Oppo BDP-93 is the best performance value hands down for Bluray players.
I am a dealer in USA for Oppo DIgital and I use this player exclusively in all my home theater designs.

A system can only be as good as he weakest link. This player brings out the best in other system components.

Some one has mentioned that for bluray there is no difference in quality or something like that. It would be true if video was stored in RGB format. But unfortunately that would take up tremendous amount of memory. Even a master copy is usually saved in 4:4:4 format. On bluray disc or DVD it is stepped down to 4:2:0 format. the steps are
4:4:4 >>> 4:2:2 >>> 4:2:0 on disc.
A display needs RGB signal and the steps are reversed
4:2:0 >> 4:2:2 >> 4:4:4 >> RGB
for detailed information see the following articles.
Chrominance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chroma subsampling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Color - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Video quality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very true - it is chroma upsampling that is the issue with most bluray players. Few do it absolutely correctly. The easiest way which is also one of the very best is to just get an HTPC with a bluray drive and then use madvr for play back. Madvr uses the GPU to do super high quality luma and chroma upsampling. You also have a choice of multiple algorithms and you can choose based on your taste. All you need is a reasonably recent CPU and a Radeon 6570/Geforce 440 GT or higher graphic card for 1080p60.

Yes, I agree, the improvement from 93 to 95 is its analog 2Ch. In near future I will try that option, as of now the player is not having room in the rack and I have a CA 640V2 for 2Ch to pair. I wanted to separate HT and Stereo.

More over the multichannel DSD signal is well received by Denon 4311, by doing this the Audissy XT32 EQ can be at its best for SACD music. This I could never achieve in analog. My room is not perfect acoustically and I need EQing.

I am having a seating distance of 8ft from speakers, and I will not prefer the FS now. But, I heard the potential of the BS combined with 2 SW in stereo using add on components like Outlaw ICBM-1,Behringer DSP1124P.Once you do this you will have the doubt on FS value addition.

Why don't you try Panasonic BDP? They have some fantastic players. Am trying to get hold of BDT500. The specifications are execellent.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

La-kozy at Girgaum are the dealers in Mumbai. Last time i was there they had only the 93, that too the Nu-Force edition retailing at around 75k.!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back