Blu-Ray Review: DON (T-Series)

sanjay0864

After the surpringly decent quality BD of 'Wanted, T-Series has released another above average BD for DON. Although, this BD is very similiar to the 'Wanted' BD, in terms of audio/video quality, it does improve by having done away with the T-Series logo 'watermark'. I suppose we can now look forward to more, improved Blu-rays from 'T-Series' and they are no longer a company to dread as are Shemaroo and MoserBaer (Redemption can only be after they finally release a decent BD). Recommended. :thumbsup:

Title: DON (2006)
Category: Action | Crime | Musical | Mystery | Romance | Thriller
Distributor: T-Series
Authoring House: Utech (?Taiwan?)
MRP: Rs. 699/-
Running Time: 02:48:35 hrs
Chapters 33
Media: Main Feature - 50GB BD
Region Coding: A/B/C
Video:
2.35:1, HD 1080p 16:9, AVC 24Hz
Peak Bitrate 38Mbps | Average bitrate 29Mbps
Audio:
Hindi - DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48khz) <-- Sounds like the DD track has been used to master this.
Hindi - Dolby Digital 5.1 (48khz 448kbps) <-- Default Track :mad:
The packaging incorrectly states: Dolby Digital 5.1 (Uncompressed PCM Audio)
Subtitles: English.<-- Subtitles are on by default :annoyed:
Special Features:
NONE

Special Mention:
Forced 'Still Picture' advertisement, for caller tunes, before the Main titles. <-- T-Series has obviously chosen to ignore our complaints with the 'Wanted' BD, regarding this. T-Series is now the only company doing this and they need to stop this right away.
No Watermark Logo, during songs or otherwise. <-- Kudos to 'T-Series' for listening to our feedback. :cheers:
No scrolling advertisements during songs. <-- All Bollywood Video companies, please take note.
No advertisements, forced or otherwise, during the movie. <-- All Bollywood Video companies, please take note.
Separate 'Song Menu' to allow direct selection of song. <-- This should be a no brainer for all Bollywood films.

Review:
Detailed Comments to follow....

Overall, I recommend this to all fans of the movie and or fans of Shah Rukh Khan. It is most certainly a substantial upgrade from the DVD.

The movie froze at the start of 'chapter 18' and the player to sort of got hung. I had to eject the disc and start all over again. But the problem did not repeat itself upon restarting. The problem occured while playing on the Oppo (it did not occur with the PS3).

My ratings:
Movie: 3.75 out of 5.0
Video: 4.0 out of 5.0
Audio: 4.0 out of 5.0
Extras: 0 out of 5.0
Overall: 3.75 out of 5.0 (Lots of 'Authoring' issues and a lack of any special features, bring the overall score down.
Also, the forced 'caller tunes' advertising at the begining, brings down the final score quite a bit.)

Screenshots courtesy DDR

Equipment used for testing:
Projector: Panasonic PT-AE2000U
Screen: Da-Lite 4:3 120" 'Model B' - White Matte
Viewing Distance: 11' 6"
A/V Receiver: Denon AVR5800
Speakers: 5.1
Front/Main: Paradigm Reference 100 v2
Center: Paradigm Reference Studio CC v2
Rear: Tannoy - Mercury M5
Subwoofer: Paradigm Reference Servo 15
BD Player:
Oppo BDP-83 (Hardware Modified 'Region Free' with 'BDP-83-48-1224' firmware)
PS3 (80GB US 'Region A' with firmware v3.15)

PS: After 'YRF Home Video', this BD further proves, that if we all persist and are vocal about our concerns, even Bollywood Video companies will listen. 'T-Series' needs to be complimented for a decent BD and specially for having listened to their customers and for doing away with any and all 'watermarks'. Now if only they would, do away with the forced, caller tune advertisement.

Suggestions for producers and authorers of Indian BDs:
1. The 'DTS-HD MA 5.1' audio stream, must be the default track.
2. There is absolutely no need or advantage of having a separate Dolby Digital audio track, since the 'DTS-HD MA 5.1' track provides the best audio for all customers. This is why a single 'DTS-HD MA' track has been universally adopted by almost all Hollywood studios.
2. No DNR should be applied. (Film grain is not only acceptable but is natural)
3. There should be no logo 'Watermarks' of any kind.
4. There should be no advertising of any kind, before or during the movie.
5. Player buttons must never be 'disabled' for any reason.
6. The song menu, should have a 'PLAY ALL' option.
7. The packaging is very important. The 'Slim' BD case used by ALL Hollywood studios and 'BIG Home Video' is the industry standard and must be used instead of the ugly, space consuming & environment unfriendly 'FAT' case used by Yash Raj. Also, it is important, that dual discs must be packaged in 'Slim' cases designed for dual discs.

Last edited:
Your reviews are very informative man!

BTW I thought it is Amitabhs don remastered and rereleased ,the new I never dare to see inspite having orignal DVD!

Also new don does not have any "meaty attractions" like it's south indian remake Billa!

same here. I do not have the courage to watch the new don, given that I loved the original!!!

Your reviews are very informative man!

BTW I thought it is Amitabhs don remastered and rereleased ,the new I never dare to see inspite having orignal DVD!

Also new don does not have any "meaty attractions" like it's south indian remake Billa!

new don is crap. where is the creativity if these directors take old movies and make their remakes ?

Some dj's made some moolah taking old songs and making their remixes, i guess movies will go the same way. remix remix :mad:

great review sanjay. I saw the BD of Don and was highly impressed. BTW any chance to review DDLJ BD sometime - plannign it as a gift for my wife

Glad to hear that Indian BD's are doing quite good.

Made a mistake of buying an Indian Moser Bayer DVD of a Malayalam movie. Video was blurred beyond belief!

great review sanjay. I saw the BD of Don and was highly impressed. BTW any chance to review DDLJ BD sometime - plannign it as a gift for my wife
Thanks. Although, I don't plan on a detailed review of DDLJ, atleast any time soon, I can tell you this much, that the current Blu-Ray is probably the best representation of the movie you are going to get, for atleast a long time. My personal ratings for the 'Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge' BD are:
Video 3.5
Audio 3.0
Overall 3.25
Do keep in mind, that this is an almost sixteen year old movie and that too before the advent of Dolby Digital in India.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back