Blue ray player prices going down

kaushik

As I cautioned some to hold the blueray Player purchase, now the prices gone low..
the gray prices are :

Sony : 14.5k (will negotiate for 14 i hope)
Pana : 14.5k
Models : dint ask

Where : just pm me

Last edited:
Do you know if they have any region free Bluray players in the market? I have boycotted the purchasing of Indian Censor approved DVDs and Blurays, and will be importing all my movies (mostly from US) from now on.

Hi,
I am eagerly waiting for the Azur 650BD blu ray player from Cambridge Audio. I am told in Calcutta it iwll be launched in march. Any idea what is the story in other parts of India. What will be the price? Has anybody experienced its performence?
Thanks.

I am eagerly waiting for the Azur 650BD blu ray player from Cambridge Audio. I am told in Calcutta it iwll be launched in march.

A cursory glance at the specs places the 650BD somewhere between the Oppo BD80 and BD83. It has Mediatek engines and that will place it closer to the BD80. Unless CA prices it around 300 to 350US, it will most probably get beaten by the Oppo BD80 in terms of VFM. It seems to be priced somewhere between 700 to 800 US, and that makes the BD83 a much better proposition.

Cheers

Do you know if they have any region free Bluray players in the market? I have boycotted the purchasing of Indian Censor approved DVDs and Blurays, and will be importing all my movies (mostly from US) from now on.

Why? ............ :):):)

We are all waiting to hear the reason :licklips::licklips::licklips:

Cheers

A cursory glance at the specs places the 650BD somewhere between the Oppo BD80 and BD83. It has Mediatek engines and that will place it closer to the BD80. Unless CA prices it around 300 to 350US, it will most probably get beaten by the Oppo BD80 in terms of VFM. It seems to be priced somewhere between 700 to 800 US, and that makes the BD83 a much better proposition.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,
thanks for the reply. Actually I want to go with 650 BD because it is covered under warranty in India. I am very much satisfied with the performence of CD 540 D V2 DVD player so planning to get the blu ray player from the same stable. Do you think in bluray playback does it really matter the use of VRS technology that much as compared to upscaling DVDs. I don't have that much idea.If something goes wrong with oppo is it possible to fix it in India like any unauthorized place who can fix oppo players.
Thanks.

Do you think in bluray playback does it really matter the use of VRS technology that much as compared to upscaling DVDs. I don't have that much idea.If something goes wrong with oppo is it possible to fix it in India like any unauthorized place who can fix oppo players.
Thanks.

You have the Onkyo 705 and you can let that do the upscaling. So you really do not need VRS or ABT. At the same time, paying 700 odd dollars plus Indian pricing, will make the CA BD Player just too expensive. I guess it will be priced in India around 35 to 50K. Given the way prices are falling, it does not make sense to pay more that 15K for a BD player.

As I had mentioned elsewhere, I do not expect any player to last more than 5 years. In that time period, technology would have changed dramatically, and it makes more sense to just replace the player with a new one. So if you are paying 20K for a player, your cost is roughly 10 Rupees a day of usage. With the current DVD players the costs is roughly 2.5 Rupees a day.

As long as these players are handled carefully and given protected power, they should work well. At the most what you may need to replace may be the laser system. That any local repair shop can do it. In any case because of high scale integration, if there is a major hassle, there is nothing that can be done excepting replacing the board.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Venkat,
what you said makes perfect sense. Actually I am looking for a good univsersal player which can also act as a blu ray player and play all the sound formats and a decent enough cd player. That's why I am thinking about this Cambridge audio 650 BD player which I think can also act as a very decent cd player.Other option is to go for a blu ray player in 20 K range and a CD player like CA 650C but in that case I am not sure if SACD playback is possible.
Thanks.

My suspicion is that the 650 BD which uses the mediatek chipset is going to be much closer to the BD80 than the BD83, which means that for 700-800 dollars you're going to be getting a player that has the level of quality of a 280 dollar player. That is poor value any way you slice it. Without ABT by VRS (unless CA has come up with or used something that can match it) it will almost certainly be inferior to the 500 USD Oppo BD83. These things are very well built and will almost never fail within the first year, which is the only time when the warranty matters.

Anyways, let the player come out and the reviews and comparisons get clear, then perhaps you can make a decision. But to pick the player solely on the fact that CA has authorised distribution in India, would perhaps not be a great idea.

Hi Venkat,
what you said makes perfect sense. Actually I am looking for a good univsersal player which can also act as a blu ray player and play all the sound formats and a decent enough cd player. That's why I am thinking about this Cambridge audio 650 BD player which I think can also act as a very decent cd player.Other option is to go for a blu ray player in 20 K range and a CD player like CA 650C but in that case I am not sure if SACD playback is possible.
Thanks.

Anyways, let the player come out and the reviews and comparisons get clear, then perhaps you can make a decision. But to pick the player solely on the fact that CA has authorised distribution in India, would perhaps not be a great idea.

+1 rather go for the oppo otherwise something like a panasonic and buy a dedicated cd player

Not only they are filtered and edited while you pay for original DVDs in india,but also they poor quality
optical medium used , which is unacceptable.

better get the dvd packs imported, they cost the same
when u buy collections like 3 movies in a pack ( not compressed in a disk but each movie in 1/2 dvds).

i will stop as this is a lil off topic..

I think there's one by LG which can play all region BDs as well as DVDs. Around Rs. 16500 in Chennai.

Regds / Shailender

the advantage with any CA product will be the superior audio performance.
Here too with BD650 I hope that will exist especially if you are looking for multichannel analog output.
The recnt WhatHiFi issue has a review with 5 star rating, but price indicated is 38K which sounds expensive!!
probably 650BD can be compared to BD80 for video and BD83 special edition for audio??

CA vs Oppo-

Cambridge 650 BD and Oppo BD83
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1171570&page=3

modds for CA-
bluraychip.dk - Cambridge Audio 650BD multiregion DIY kit

CA BD650 & Oppo BD80 looks very similar (just like oppo DV980 & CA Dv99)

Are anyone making for other?

Hi Spiro,

that cambridge mod seems like the most stressfree mod ever. and looks reversable too - in case of any service issues.. something like a tuning box for a car.

I think I'm sold on this. esp since the last 2 weekends have been spent reversing the damage some "program / windows update caused" to my BD playback on my HTPC ( clean install anybody?)

can anyone tell me where in Mumbai I could get the player? and at what price?

thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Hi Spiro,

that cambridge mod seems like the most stressfree mod ever. and looks reversable too - in case of any service issues.. something like a tuning box for a car.

I think I'm sold on this. esp since the last 2 weekends have been spent reversing the damage some "program / windows update caused" to my BD playback on my HTPC ( clean install anybody?)

can anyone tell me where in Mumbai I could get the player? and at what price?

thanks in advance!!

The BD-80 mod is equally reversible too. However since CA products can be had locally for less than a 25% premium over international MRP, I guess it makes more sense to pick that one :)

Cheers

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back