• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Bluray - Why no full screen ?

Easy EMI Options at HiFiMART.com

Naveen_Reloaded

Hi guys ...

i bought dark knight , but when i played it thru PS3 , only the IMAX scenes were full screen , i mean , full screen on my 40" LCD without letterbox black borders..

on other scenes there was letter box border.

why is it so ? so will all my BLURAY will have black borders ? if so whats the purpose of bluray and why did i get a LCD when i cant view it in full screen without these black borders

spirovious

Its due to format/aspect ratio.
In theatre,AR is wider than 16:9 like on LCD.new Philips LCD has come up with 21:9 AR. LCD can zoom the screen,but you may miss some info.

Naveen_Reloaded

Its due to format/aspect ratio.
In theatre,AR is wider than 16:9 like on LCD.new Philips LCD has come up with 21:9 AR. LCD can zoom the screen,but you may miss some info.

ya but wht the use of having a 16:9 LCD ? when all the DVD/Bluray are in theatre aspect ratio ? or the other way round ?

how is that we see moves in HBO and Star movie channels full screen , but not in DVD / bluray ? i dont think we miss anything in HBO / STAR ,

i can zoom , as u said i miss a lot of info of the video...

suprateep

Hi guys ...

i bought dark knight , but when i played it thru PS3 , only the IMAX scenes were full screen , i mean , full screen on my 40" LCD without letterbox black borders..

on other scenes there was letter box border.

why is it so ? so will all my BLURAY will have black borders ? if so whats the purpose of bluray and why did i get a LCD when i cant view it in full screen without these black borders

you can use pan n scan but a lot of info will be cut off, not to mention the PQ getting distorted. This is more to do with the aspect ratio of the movie file.

PS: HTPC poses no problems with all the picture information coming in with borders gone, though characters and things looking anemic at times. ;)

srenjith

Hi,
If you have seen the bonus disc which came along with the dark knight, it clearly says that only I max shot frames will be in full screen mode and others will be on cinemascope...

spirovious

ya but wht the use of having a 16:9 LCD ? when all the DVD/Bluray are in theatre aspect ratio ? or the other way round ?

how is that we see moves in HBO and Star movie channels full screen , but not in DVD / bluray ? i dont think we miss anything in HBO / STAR ,

i can zoom , as u said i miss a lot of info of the video...

Well before widescreen,16:9 was widely used format(very early 4:3)
Now techno changed & even AR too(wider)So 16:9 LCD get crossbars.
Philips has comeup with same wider LCDs.

Now why 16:9,we people still watch SD TV programs,So 16:9 is midway to both.(4:3 & 21:9)

HBO mov are transmitted after AR is adjusted(ie4:3) so that all tvs can show it properly ,but with cutting some info.If you check mov on HBO & same DVD,you will come to know what am I saying.New DTH system has opt to select AR whichever your tv is.