Bookshelf or Floorstanding Speakers: Which Should You Choose? A guide

If you want bass in low volume, you need to have a sub.

Curious.

I can hear organs, cellos and double basses and bass guitars perfectly well thank you. Tunefully too.

With the dial at 7.

I found that for the same source speaker amp and volume the DAC makes all the difference. And I suspect that some fooling around with a DSP should help too

Why do i need a sub ? What am I missing in the music I listen to ? (the usual stuff that somebody stuck in the 60-70s would)

ciao
gr

Curious.

I can hear organs, cellos and double basses and bass guitars perfectly well thank you. Tunefully too.

With the dial at 7.

I found that for the same source speaker amp and volume the DAC makes all the difference. And I suspect that some fooling around with a DSP should help too

Why do i need a sub ? What am I missing in the music I listen to ? (the usual stuff that somebody stuck in the 60-70s would)

ciao
gr

Yes, you can. But lot of us don't :eek:hyeah:

Yes, you can. But lot of us don't :eek:hyeah:

umm you missed the curious question.

Let me try again . What am I missing musically if I don't have a sub. What instruments ? what bits of the music ?

BTW there was no can-communicate-with-elephants-because-of-my-super-good-low-frequency-hearing boast there. Just a statement of what is (seems to be ?) audible with speakers that claim a 43 - 26,500 Hz range

ciao
gr

Last edited:
What is your definition of satellites? "Bose" like cubes?

This is my understanding about satellite.

- Smaller drive units, say less than 3inch and with limited freq response.
- Very small cabinet, mostly die cast type ?

Q acoustics 2020 and 2010 are sold as bookshelf by the manufacturer
Probably satellite v/s bookshelf is a topic of another discussion...

Let me try again . What am I missing musically if I don't have a sub. What instruments ? what bits of the music ?
A small part of electronic music thrives on frequency shifter drops (like tape slowing down to standstill).

Perhaps I am not able to articulate well, but imagine having a knob that shifts all frequencies towards 0 Hz as you twist more.

A small part of electronic music thrives on frequency shifter drops (like tape slowing down to standstill)
Thanks. Had to look that up and found that "Particular genres such as drum and bass and dubstep often feature the whole bass-line reproduced in sub-bass frequencies."

as is evident not genres I have heard (of)

ciao
gr

You guys should seriously contemplate listening to TL speakers if the lower frequencies is the matter of contention. The subtle, yet tight bass generated is a world different from those from bass-reflex designs. TL speakers should not be so common as the other variety, as only a few manufacturers have commercialized them. Also, should be quite pricey due to low off-takes and design complexities. One might never miss a sub with them playing any genre.

The following points need to be borne in mind while choosing a bookshelf vs floorstander :

1. At the same price range a floorstander will be of lower quality normally than a bookshelf.

2. Its better to buy a high quality book shelf than a lower quality floorstander.

3. Good floorstanders are expensive ( generally above $1000) and therefore it may be better to go for a bookshelf to get a similar quality at a lower price.

4. Frequency response below 40 Hz will be possible only with high quality book shelfs. Bass response normally is more in floorstanders, the purest route being larger size for low range drivers and not so pure methods like ported enlclosures, more expensive materials.

5. A small room will do well with a quality bookshelf speaker rather than a heavy floorstander.

You guys should seriously contemplate listening to TL speakers if the lower frequencies is the matter of contention. The subtle, yet tight bass generated is a world different from those from bass-reflex designs. TL speakers should not be so common as the other variety, as only a few manufacturers have commercialized them. Also, should be quite pricey due to low off-takes and design complexities. One might never miss a sub with them playing any genre.

Any FM who wants to experience what tight & natural bass is all about are welcomed for a listen. It took me close to 7 years to perfect the TL design.

Last edited:
Whether you use BS or FS, in low volume, neither of them deliver bass. If you want bass in low volume, you need to have a sub.

I'm sorry Amit, I believe that isn't a very good assumption. Good speakers are able to deliver the whole frequency range at all volume levels, provided they are powered by a good amplifier.

I'm sorry Amit, I believe that isn't a very good assumption. Good speakers are able to deliver the whole frequency range at all volume levels, provided they are powered by a good amplifier.
There's no getting around Physics! "Good" has got nothing to do with it. A lot of the delivery at low volumes is dependent on the amp too and the "grip" that it has on the speakers.

There's no getting around Physics! "Good" has got nothing to do with it. A lot of the delivery at low volumes is dependent on the amp too and the "grip" that it has on the speakers.

TL spkrs can deliver clean deep bass at low levels as its impedance @ resonance is around 60% lower than other box loading types.

TL spkrs can deliver clean deep bass at low levels as its impedance @ resonance is around 60% lower than other box loading types.
Can you please explain why "clean" and "deep" is a function of the impedance?

Also, my response to rocksterraghu was for "Good speakers are able to deliver the whole frequency range at all volume levels"

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back