Bookshelf Speakers that hits you in the chest with it's bass ....

Rajkumars

Hi all,

I have wharfedale 225 .... Looking to upgrade ....

They are lacking in the bass department & they are little laid back in the treble department .... So I am looking for a pair of bookshelves that can produce great bass (that hits you is the chest kinda) ..... Price range around 80K ....

Any suggestions .... It's for music playback

You won't find any bookshelf speaker that really hits you in the chest.

To achieve what you want, you need sensitivity and output (as a starting point). Neither achieved by small bookshelf speakers.

Depends on what books you read

:) would best to go for customized speakers from our esteemed forum members like aniket...go for a two way with 12 or 15 inch speaker and tweeter... Will come well under your budget and will use great drivers from beyma..

Only those 12 or above inchers will give that thump..

A pair of speakers with a good 12/15" woofer and a decent CD from Beyma is neither a bookshelf speaker nor achievable in 80k unless someone is feeling very generous with their time and effort to design the XO and make the cabinets.

80K is going to be tough, either invest 80K in Mutual Fund and sit on it to mature to get to a decent budget or simply augment the current setup with a Sub . Small step upgrades are a money pit been there done that.
o_O I am yet to find a man with that kind of patience. Most of the people I know are breaking FDs or talking about selling their blood for the new speaker cables :p

Hi all,

They are lacking in the bass department & they are little laid back in the treble department .... So I am looking for a pair of bookshelves that can produce great bass (that hits you is the chest kinda) ..... Price range around 80K ....

Wharfedale Evo may give more Bass but not chest hitting for sure. No BS will do that. Better add a Sub to your setup. You may even end up saving a few bucks.

80K is going to be tough, either invest 80K in Mutual Fund and sit on it to mature to get to a decent budget or simply augment the current setup with a Sub . Small step upgrades are a money pit been there done that.

Best advice, ever :)

Mission qx 2 speakers at 26 k has excellent chest thumping bass.i was stunned by them when I listened to them.

6.5" bass driver, 88db sensitivity,120W amp power,95db peak SPL, from here -

If that is the bar for chest thumping bass, I'm afraid the bar has been set incredibly low.

Anyone heard Kef LS50 or Q350 .... How are they ?

I have Rythmik sub

Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga is also a 180W Hybrid with a tube pre as well.

Good Advice !

Will soon be building one, 70 wpc, hybrid with excellent tube Sonics and grip & accuracy of SS.
@yogibear fantastic to hear this..Would love to hear what you are planning in terms of the topology tubes etc..( Tech Noob Warning !)

6.5" bass driver, 88db sensitivity,120W amp power,95db peak SPL, from here -

If that is the bar for chest thumping bass, I'm afraid the bar has been set incredibly low.
I said for 26 k mission qx 2 speakers give more than value for money .if you are ready spend more there is no end for it .1<2<3••••so on. Among dali zensor series have better bass compared to next cadre especially zensor 3 .I'm sure most FM's who have dali zensor we I'll agree with this .I'm making this comment because I have owned all most all cadre except epicon and Rubicon series still zensor 3 are my all time favourite for music

Last edited:
Hi all,

You won't find such speakers now. In 80's and 90's there were Arphi Micro Monitor whose bass kinda used to hit my chest toh.

If you want you can listen to bose 301 series 5 whose bass is also awesome to me toh. But for 80k you can invest in floorstanding speakers

I said for 26 k mission qx 2 speakers give more than value for money .if you are ready spend more there is no end for it .1<2<3••••so on. Among dali zensor series have better bass compared to next cadre especially zensor 3 .I'm sure most FM's who have dali zensor we I'll agree with this .I'm making this comment because I have owned all most all cadre except epicon and Rubicon series still zensor 3 are my all time favourite for music

My post had nothing to do with money, only sensitivity and output. You could have the same specs for a 100,000$ speaker and my comment would still stand.

My post had nothing to do with money, only sensitivity and output. You could have the same specs for a 100,000$ speaker and my comment would still stand.
Individual taste for music and sound differs .what might sound best for one person may sound as ordinary for others . that's why people go for audition before deciding what suits them.

Individual taste for music and sound differs .what might sound best for one person may sound as ordinary for others . that's why people go for audition before deciding what suits them.

I agree with this, but it has nothing to do with my original post where I replied to you. I never posted contrary to this. I posted about specs and how it was insufficient.

What is the minimum SPL required for the speakers to produce thumping bass? Can ported speakers/subwoofers produce it at lower spl compared to sealed ones?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back