Floor Standing Speakers that hits you in the chest kinda ....Under 1 L

Hi all .... I was looking for For Bookshelves that could do it .... But couldn't find any .... So I am looking among Floor Standers now ..... It should produce clean thumping bass .... hits you in the chest kinda ....

Room Size : 22 ft x 15 ft
You will also need that kind of power with any speaker.

The 2 radiators do play out of phase right ?
Does that not cancel out a portion of the bass ?
I doubt that.
Passive radiators are not driven. They move on the air volume built up inside the cabinet based on the active woofer. It also means the active woofer will move out less.
Its not a bad design. Just not the kind of bass that you are after. My dad has an old Akai AE-53 loudspeaker from the 1980's. This had a passive radiator too, else no way to get bass out of such a small enclosure. Passive radiators can enhance bass. Not make the room shake.

The grills for Q950 are 11K .... LoL....

Are there any alternative grills for Q950 ?

Or should I DIY the grills ?

I auditioned Q950 at ProFx. It had a solid bass punch, everything in the room was shaking including my whole body. That was the with the track Hey Now.

I listened to Polk L600 right after that, they too had good punch but a bit restrained, felt more warmer and in better control.

I didn't know Floorstanders could produce bass with such intensity until I listened to Q950 and L600 pairs.

But I would look at a good sub if bass is my priority. Most budget speakers can't produce chest thumping bass. Even ProFx was driving the speakers with some high end Denon amp. I am pretty sure Q950s won't be able to produce good bass with typical budget amps below a lakh.

Last edited:
I auditioned Q950 at ProFx. It had a solid bass punch, everything in the room was shaking including my whole body. That was the with the track Hey Now.

I listened to Polk L600 right after that, they too had good punch but a bit restrained, felt more warmer and in better control.

I didn't know Floorstanders could produce bass with such intensity until I listened to Q950 and L600 pairs.

But I would look at a good sub if bass is my priority. Most budget speakers can't produce chest thumping bass. Even ProFx was driving the speakers with some high end Denon amp. I am pretty sure Q950s won't be able to produce good bass with typical budget amps below a lakh.
Was it Denon AVR ?

Sub connected ?

I'm not a bass head, never tried to see how low my system can go. When a friend was trying it out, we tweaked the bass control a bit and raised the volume upto 12.00 position. Had the most physically uncomfortable bass. Not just chest, one could feel it all over the body. I think it would be impossible to stand that kind of sound for long.

Amplifier Marantz PM8006
Speaker Dali Rubicon 6
Song Bob Dylan's Man in the Long Black Coat.

I'm not a bass head, never tried to see how low my system can go. When a friend was trying it out, we tweaked the bass control a bit and raised the volume upto 12.00 position. Had the most physically uncomfortable bass. Not just chest, one could feel it all over the body. I think it would be impossible to stand that kind of sound for long.

Amplifier Marantz PM8006
Speaker Dali Rubicon 6
I fully agree and understand :D

I blast bass and guitar riffs at close to club levels in a small 11.5 x 15 ft room, as Iam mostly a EDM or punk or rock guy. The bass mostly gets overbearing, leading to a head ache after just 2 tracks. But being a bass head, not willing to give up his bass fix, I added dsp to cut off all the bass peaks. Now I find it eminently listenable.

I fully agree and understand :D

I blast bass and guitar riffs at close to club levels in a small 11.5 x 15 ft room, as Iam mostly a EDM or punk or rock guy. The bass mostly gets overbearing, leading to a head ache after just 2 tracks. But being a bass head, not willing to give up his bass fix, I added dsp to cut off all the bass peaks. Now I find it eminently listenable.

Aren't you newlash09? Didn't you have 4x15" subs? Which driver?

Amplifier Marantz PM8006
Speaker Dali Rubicon 6
i agree,
its deep tuneful bass that is a turn on

If you want to get your heart to fall out of your mouth, then regular hi-fi speakers wont work. Domestic subwoofers thud but down blow things down (or out). You'd have to step into pro-space. If you want to loosen the bricks in your walls, then its this

yes, its a Bose

can be used outdoors too :), here's a holi party powered by the F1s

and if you want to go further, bringing down the walls, then Mackie SRMs are the answer :)

mackie-srm450_srm1801_audio_works.jpg
I have heard the Bose F1 at the 4-Points by Sheraton, Kochi and the Mackie rig at my school indoor stadium. They can literally blow people off the ground and blow big holes in one's pocket too :) I noticed that the F1s sounded great even when played soft. Not too many talk about them as they are mighty expensive.

If you want to get your heart to fall out of your mouth, then regular hi-fi speakers wont work. Domestic subwoofers thud but down blow things down (or out). You'd have to step into pro-space. If you want to loosen the bricks in your walls, then its this

yes, its a Bose

can be used outdoors too :), here's a holi party powered by the F1s

and if you want to go further, bringing down the walls, then Mackie SRMs are the answer :)

View attachment 61673
I have heard the Bose F1 at the 4-Points by Sheraton, Kochi and the Mackie rig at my school indoor stadium. They can literally blow people off the ground and blow big holes in one's pocket too :) I noticed that the F1s sounded great even when played soft. Not too many talk about them as they are mighty expensive.

Honest question - Do you feel Bose and Mackie are the best pro audio has to offer?

If you want to get your heart to fall out of your mouth, then regular hi-fi speakers wont work. Domestic subwoofers thud but down blow things down (or out). You'd have to step into pro-space. If you want to loosen the bricks in your walls, then its
Or maybe this :)
Bass at the cost of everything else :cool:

Aren't you newlash09? Didn't you have 4x15" subs? Which driver?
Yeah Iam the very same ex newlash09 :D

The sub cabinet build is just about to start. We just managed to finalise the drivers from SB audience bianco 15 inch range. We have to try and see what works best in my small room, either a dipole or ripole or open baffle. As of now the bass is good enough from a single 10 inch driver in a big cabinet, and the speaker being very very effecient sips under 20 watts even at high volume levels with thumping bass.

However with dsp though I've chopped off the peaks, I can't fill the room induced nulls at approx 60hz, which robs a lot of bass impact. The subs are mainly to fill these nulls, as I've tried altering my speaker position, as well as my listening position with no improvement in bass response.

Yeah Iam the very same ex newlash09 :D

The sub cabinet build is just about to start. We just managed to finalise the drivers from SB audience bianco 15 inch range. We have to try and see what works best in my small room, either a dipole or ripole or open baffle. As of now the bass is good enough from a single 10 inch driver in a big cabinet, and the speaker being very very effecient sips under 20 watts even at high volume levels with thumping bass.

However with dsp though I've chopped off the peaks, I can't fill the room induced nulls at approx 60hz, which robs a lot of bass impact. The subs are mainly to fill these nulls, as I've tried altering my speaker position, as well as my listening position with no improvement in bass response.

Very efficient you say with a 10" driver, is it a 100 cube FLH?

Very efficient you say with a 10" driver, is it a 100 cube FLH?
Please pardon my ignorance...but what exactly does FLH stand for :D
But the 10 incher is housed in a 19x 22 x approx 48 inch cabinet. So don't know how much the cabinet volume works out to :(

Besides the speaker were designed around a 8W SET amp, so they are very effecient. And when I pelt them at huge levels, I can't see more than 20W being consumed on my power display. That includes the streamer and the dac too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please pardon my ignorance...but what exactly does FLH stand for :D
But the 10 incher is housed in a 19x 22 x approx 48 inch cabinet. So don't know how much the cabinet volume works out to :(

FLH = Front Loaded Horn, opposed to a RLH/BLH = Rear Loaded Horn/Back Loaded Horn

That would be about 11.6 cubes external volume though I was asking about internal volume.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back