Bookshelf Speakers that hits you in the chest with it's bass ....

Try KEF R3s, had Focal Chorus 836V floor standers and it used to give pure chest thumping enjoyable bass, R3 are not where close to focals but really enjoy the bass, its not strong but it has the tight bass which is enjoyable.
Chest thumping bass has a lot to do with placement as well. I heard the Focal Chora 826 in a relatively small room very recently and the bass reproduction was weak.

Wharfedale Evo may give more Bass but not chest hitting for sure. No BS will do that. Better add a Sub to your setup. You may even end up saving a few bucks.
Do the wharfedale Elysian 2s count as bookshelves? ;)
Perhaps Devialet Phantoms?

I doubt any bookshelf could actually do that. You need bass out put upwards of 105 dB in the region of 45 to (120+/- 30 ) Hz to give you that actual feeling. I dont think any Bookshelfs are monstrous enough to provide that kind of output. If they do, they are no longer in the size of a Bookshelf then.

So augmenting a bookshelf with a Subwoofer is mandatory to get that kind of output for the so called chest thumping bass. The easy way to achieve that is actually via a PA sub or a DJ sub. They are specifically designed to have high sensitivity, which help to achieve higher output for give power, however, they dont go very low . A dual 15 or 18 bass cabinets and PA/DJ AMP with 500 to 800 Watts and i think you are set. How ever, i wonder whether you will any longer be able to hear the Bookshelfs playing the mids and highs. Be ready for folks knocking on you door complaining when you crank up volume.

I recommend you to try auditioning some DJ subwoofers / PA Subs or even Full Ranges before you put your money in to another book shelf.

Edit: Something like this and many of these come cheap and you can also start running local Parties :)
Edit 2: Disclaimer - No where i am related to these sellers nor i know the quality etc. I was eyeing some low budget Power amps for my Subs and happen to see them.

1626338167413.png

Last edited:
Chest thumping bass has a lot to do with placement as well. I heard the Focal Chora 826 in a relatively small room very recently and the bass reproduction was weak.

Do the wharfedale Elysian 2s count as bookshelves? ;)
Perhaps Devialet Phantoms?
And room acoustics as well, it also depends on the amp and the source, what was the listening distance? Surprised to hear, maybe 836 additional bass drivers is making the magic.

And room acoustics as well,
100% agreed. It was probably the room Acoustics cooked with placement since my single 6.5 inch driver bookshelves produce substantially more bass (when placed right) than what the Focal 826s managed.

it also depends on the amp and the source, what was the listening distance?
Listening position also matters a lot, similar to speaker placement. though I won't per se say that listening distance (unless you're like a good 30-40 feet away) would make much of a difference with bass if you position your seat right (The bass is stronger around 20-22 feet from my speakers rather than at my listening position which is approx 8 feet away but that's probably due to bass loading from the backwall). The listening position with the 826s was approx 10 feet away but ideally ought to have been strong due to being near the backwall as opposed to the center of the room.

i love how many people search for the perfect speakers with good bass response but aren't willing to accept/concede that their positioning sucks when i try to tell them that in the nicest of ways possible (i should be one to speak since my usual position has terrible Acoustics but that's probably the reason why i know as I've experienced both).

Lazy much?

Disclaimer: i know that everyone does not have the luxury of placement which is why they need a sub but certain people just refuse to believe that it's their room and not the speakers. It's the same logic that flat earthers apply i.e. if you haven't experienced/seen it, it's not true. :p

Last edited:
I own a pair of Q350's. They are forward sounding speakers with neutral tonality and a good amount of bass. Their best aspect is their imaging and soundstage capabilities. They sound much bigger than their size suggests and does very well with most modern music genres.

As far as bass goes, a lot of it depends on your room acoustics and where you position them. For me personally I would say the Q350's have a satisfying amount of bass but I wouldn't call it subwoofer like chest thumping bass.
Would you like to sell your Q350s?

Hi all,

I have wharfedale 225 .... Looking to upgrade ....

They are lacking in the bass department & they are little laid back in the treble department .... So I am looking for a pair of bookshelves that can produce great bass (that hits you is the chest kinda) ..... Price range around 80K ....

Any suggestions .... It's for music playback
On the same track , following .

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back