Bookshelf Speakers that hits you in the chest with it's bass ....

The wharfedales are very good speakers.

What you need is a sub.

Instead of changing your speakers, buy a good sub. It will transform your music.

My suggestion is the Q Acoustics QB12. You can get for around 50k.
I have Rythmik sub

I was waiting to reply on this thread for the very reason, because I haven't really understood what is wrong and not being the most learned person on this forum, I was waiting for others to chime in. His treble presentation issue is understandable - something like a monitor audio BS can sort out that issue and also provide a lot more bass. However the OP is not happy with the bass with a sub. Which BS in a "BS" format (not talking about the heresys and the lintons) will outdo a dedicated sub?

EDIT - I see you suggested the monitor audio too.
You understood my problem .... Thanks

Rajkumar,
Are you missing bass even with sub ? Give some example of music you listen to that is missing bass. Mostly Floorstander with couple of LF drivers will have good bass. Bookshelf is very doubtful. Any reason you want only bookshelf to do this duty ?
Regards.
It should play .... Taal se Taal Mila .... accurately .... & Bass should be clean not bloated .....

Rajkumar,
Are you missing bass even with sub ? Give some example of music you listen to that is missing bass. Mostly Floorstander with couple of LF drivers will have good bass. Bookshelf is very doubtful. Any reason you want only bookshelf to do this duty ?
Regards.
It should play .... Taal se Taal Mila .... accurately .... & Bass should be clean not bloated .....
An used one can be less. Or can look at alternative or pro studio monitors.

@Rajkumars what is your room size bass response depends on the room too. A well treated room is also important.
22ft x15ft

That kind of bass…short listen is the only listening possible.
A lot of young people with cars seem to like it. Not sure how much of it is for the attention it gets from others and how much for enhanced musical pleasure. Contemporary music like Rap, hip hop and electronica all have prominent bass lines or beats. The big question for me is about the fatigue- how long can I stand it.

Everyone does not have the same understanding of what is good bass: https://audiophilereview.com/subwoofers/what-is-good-bass/
You don't have to listen at loud volumes for long periods. I'm a big time electronica, house, and hip hop guy and i mostly listen at low volumes. But even at those low volumes, i want to feel the bass. And yes, i do find big bass to be exhilarating but that's once in a while. But again, I'd like to have speakers that can do that once in a while when i crave it.

Love the bass @2:25 ..... This is the kinda bass reproduction I am looking for .....
Well, there you go then. Congrats, you found the speakers that you are looking for. Reasonably priced too. Steve Guttenburg raves about them, so they must be good. Great bass too, he was saying, among other things like 'Turbine woofer, ribbed for your listening pleasure !!!' :D

Rs.60,000/- at Pro FX.
https://profx.com/reserve-r200/

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have wharfedale 225 .... Looking to upgrade ....

They are lacking in the bass department & they are little laid back in the treble department .... So I am looking for a pair of bookshelves that can produce great bass (that hits you is the chest kinda) ..... Price range around 80K ....

Any suggestions .... It's for music playback
Get the Monitor Audio Silver 100 speakers. As these speakers have an 8inch driver, they will definitely hit you on your chest .

in the ladder of audiophile sound quality , having chest thumping bass would fall in the lowermost rungs.
Chest thumping bass not audiophile?

I attended a marriage where Kerala's chendu mela was played live in open space. No mic, speakers or amplification was involved. It is original, unadulterated and natural sound. I was standing 5 feet away. I could feel the vibration from the floor piercing through my shoes, passing through my legs and hit the abdomen from the floor. Direct waves were hitting my chest cavity and a peculiar feeling from ear lobes. These are natural instruments producing natural sound. These sounds travel hundreds of feet in open space. SPL and open air are the keys for these natural chest thumping sound. SPL should be probably more than 110db. I don't think it is possible to produce these spl at 'most' of the home environment leave alone the complications of producing the original sound. Is chest thumping bass produced by natural instruments unaudiophile?

An example of chendu mela.

Chest thumping bass not audiophile?

I attended a marriage where Kerala's chendu mela was played live in open space. No mic, speakers or amplification was involved. It is original, unadulterated and natural sound. I was standing 5 feet away. I could feel the vibration from the floor piercing through my shoes, passing through my legs and hit the abdomen from the floor. Direct waves were hitting my chest cavity and a peculiar feeling from ear lobes. These are natural instruments producing natural sound. These sounds travel hundreds of feet in open space. SPL and open air are the keys for these natural chest thumping sound. SPL should be probably more than 110db. I don't think it is possible to produce these spl at 'most' of the home environment leave alone the complications of producing the original sound. Is chest thumping bass produced by natural instruments unaudiophile?

I have had the opportunity to enjoy the mesmerizing chendamelam many times...
Really fascinating.

. Is chest thumping bass produced by natural instruments unaudiophile?

You answered the qs yourself. Of course naturally produced bass produced without any DSP is an audiophile quality and hugely enjoyable, but the expectation \ preference of big bass from small speakers in average sized rooms is unrealistic and will always lead to compromise in other ‘musical’ aspects of sound. From recording perspective the loudness wars of the nineties led to such compressed music which emphasised only the lower & higher frequencies at the cost of rounded midrange , separation, tonality.

Chest Thumping Bass is a relative term. A person with a weak heart will get his chest hit by bass at 80db for some some strong man it may vary 100db and above.

Chest Thumping Bass is a relative term. A person with a weak heart will get his chest hit by bass at 80db for some some strong man it may vary 100db and above.
This was on a lighter note. You can go for Beyma 10" woofer and Horn Loaded compression driver for the kind of music you are looking for. Please forget the words Audiophile and High end while judging or buying stuffs. Do not take the Google reviews too seriously. You are the best judge for your gears and your review matters most. Best of luck in your journey in exploring

Hi all,

I have wharfedale 225 .... Looking to upgrade ....

They are lacking in the bass department & they are little laid back in the treble department .... So I am looking for a pair of bookshelves that can produce great bass (that hits you is the chest kinda) ..... Price range around 80K ....

Any suggestions .... It's for music playback
Been meaning to respond to this post ... apologies for this belated reply.

1. SPEAKER SUGGESTION @ Rs 80K
A GREAT Bookshelf speaker is the now discontinued, but legendary Sonus Faber Extrema speakers. (Strictly speaking, they are standmount (somewhat larger in size than Bookshelf). I owned them a decade ago, and still love them.

Here is a Stereophile review.

The Sonus Faber Extrema speakers were relaunched as a limited anniversary Edition, a few years ago for US$ 30K I think, and were very quickly sold out.

The Good News is there are some of these (Pre-owned) available in the 2nd Hand Market in India, priced Exactly around your budget of Rs 80K. Be careful when buying ... Ensure that the Drivers, particularly the Esotar Tweeters are original and not repaired, or worse - substituted by some other tweeter.

As you can expect, small speakers with 'Good' bass will demand amplifier power, and the Sonus Faber Extrema is best driven by a minimum of 30 Watt Valve amp or a 60 Watt Solid State Amp. The speaker will respond even better, to amplifiers with higher power.

The sheer laws of Physics dictate that Stand-mount speakers cannot reproduce very deep bass (20 Hz to 40 Hz). The trick used by small speaker designers is to bump up the bass in the Mid Bass region - 50 Hz to 200 Hz. An increase in bass @ 50 Hz does give the very convincing illusion of Good Bass, including a thump in the chest. The Sonus Faber Extrema does exactly this !

Hence, despite what some posts here seem to imply, your expectation of some chest thumping bass from small speakers is not too unrealistic. Keep up your quest.

2. LOW COST FLOORSTAND SPEAKERS
An alternate would be to increase your budget and look at Floor Standing speakers. I personally like the Elac Bookshelves and Floorstand speakers.... Heard them to excellent effect at the Mumbai Hi-Fi Show a couple of years ago.

3. IMPROVING YOUR EXISTING SPEAKERS
Your existing Warfedale 225s are well received speakers.

They have a bottom Firing port to enhance the bass.

Here is a Video that suggests a very simple modification, that increases the gap between the Bottom plate and the port, to increase the bass. Should be easy enough to try.

You can also increase bass by placing the speakers deeper into 2 corners of your room. That will provide you more bass quantity, sometimes at the cost of bass quality (resolution). Try it.

You can increase the treble, by toe-ing the speakers so that they directly point at your ears, when you are in the listening position.

However, I suspect the biggest difference will probably come from using good quality music to begin with. What is the rest of your audio chain ? Which Amplifier ? What is your source ? Are you using a CD player ? Which one ? Do you listen to mp3 or flac music files downloaded from the net ? Which DAC / Streamer are you using ? Would be nice to know.

Wishing You a happy audiophile quest.

Been meaning to respond to this post ... apologies for this belated reply.

1. SPEAKER SUGGESTION @ Rs 80K
A GREAT Bookshelf speaker is the now discontinued, but legendary Sonus Faber Extrema speakers. (Strictly speaking, they are standmount (somewhat larger in size than Bookshelf). I owned them a decade ago, and still love them.

Here is a Stereophile review.

The Sonus Faber Extrema speakers were relaunched as a limited anniversary Edition, a few years ago for US$ 30K I think, and were very quickly sold out.

The Good News is there are some of these (Pre-owned) available in the 2nd Hand Market in India, priced Exactly around your budget of Rs 80K. Be careful when buying ... Ensure that the Drivers, particularly the Esotar Tweeters are original and not repaired, or worse - substituted by some other tweeter.

As you can expect, small speakers with 'Good' bass will demand amplifier power, and the Sonus Faber Extrema is best driven by a minimum of 30 Watt Valve amp or a 60 Watt Solid State Amp. The speaker will respond even better, to amplifiers with higher power.

The sheer laws of Physics dictate that Stand-mount speakers cannot reproduce very deep bass (20 Hz to 40 Hz). The trick used by small speaker designers is to bump up the bass in the Mid Bass region - 50 Hz to 200 Hz. An increase in bass @ 50 Hz does give the very convincing illusion of Good Bass, including a thump in the chest. The Sonus Faber Extrema does exactly this !

Hence, despite what some posts here seem to imply, your expectation of some chest thumping bass from small speakers is not too unrealistic. Keep up your quest.

2. LOW COST FLOORSTAND SPEAKERS
An alternate would be to increase your budget and look at Floor Standing speakers. I personally like the Elac Bookshelves and Floorstand speakers.... Heard them to excellent effect at the Mumbai Hi-Fi Show a couple of years ago.

3. IMPROVING YOUR EXISTING SPEAKERS
Your existing Warfedale 225s are well received speakers.

They have a bottom Firing port to enhance the bass.

Here is a Video that suggests a very simple modification, that increases the gap between the Bottom plate and the port, to increase the bass. Should be easy enough to try.

You can also increase bass by placing the speakers deeper into 2 corners of your room. That will provide you more bass quantity, sometimes at the cost of bass quality (resolution). Try it.

You can increase the treble, by toe-ing the speakers so that they directly point at your ears, when you are in the listening position.

However, I suspect the biggest difference will probably come from using good quality music to begin with. What is the rest of your audio chain ? Which Amplifier ? What is your source ? Are you using a CD player ? Which one ? Do you listen to mp3 or flac music files downloaded from the net ? Which DAC / Streamer are you using ? Would be nice to know.

Wishing You a happy audiophile quest.
Thanks for valuable suggestions ....

I am thinking about Floor standing speakers

How are Revel Concerta 2 F36 ?

Anyone heard them ?

If you are ok with floorstanders at 80k then you can consider the Elac Debut F6.2 Floorstanders. I bought them for one of my friend and these speakers had a lot of Bass and slam.

Back