Bookshelf Speakers that hits you in the chest with it's bass ....

I like the thread title.

I think the closest to chest thumping bass you're going to find is a Wharfedale Linton. Not a stand mount or book shelf. Its a slightly odd size. Good bass for sure.

I like the thread title.

I think the closest to chest thumping bass you're going to find is a Wharfedale Linton. Not a stand mount or book shelf. Its a slightly odd size. Good bass for sure.
Yes, but unfortunately the OP wants the speakers to be within 80K. Otherwise the Monitor Audio Silver 100 which I recommended previously was also a good speaker for bass slam at 100k.

I have half chest thumping bookshelf which is costing 30K that too without loosing Voice clarity... , DIY speakers...Chennai members can visit and can hear whether half chest thumping bass is achieving or not without sub.. Full chest thumping i am able to get with adding an sub.

Sorry for derailing the thread.
These speakers were cost USD15000 at that time of review, and weighed 108 Kg/each..?
May we know the rest of your gears pairing with these beauties sir?
Just curious...
Will Keep it short, so as not to distract this thread.

Speakers: Revel Ultima Saloons (4 Ohms)
Power Amps: Gamut Monoblocks (Each 200 W x 8 Ohms / 400 W into 4 Ohms)
Pre Amp: Audio Research Ref 6
DAC: Chord QDB 76 HDSD
CD Player: Electrocompaniet ECM1 UP
Rack: Spider Clone
Power Cables: Transparent Audio & PS Audio for Monoblocks
Speaker Cables: Audiaz
Power Conditioner (Passive): Shunyata Hydra
Room: Walls & Ceiling Treated With Sound Absorption + Diffusion at 1st Reflection points on the Wall

Have Included a couple of pics below2b21b2ab-1781-41d5-8d3b-edfafce8ca85.jpg

89c8c8a0-c095-4d58-9fd0-4b2f29c5d04a.jpg

Room: Walls & Ceiling Treated With Sound Absorption + Diffusion at 1st Reflection points on the Wall

Have Included a couple of pics belowView attachment 59332

View attachment 59333
Visual treat for eyes ;
Let's assume same pleasant treat for your ears..
Thanks for your response..!

Visual treat for eyes ;
Let's assume same pleasant treat for your ears..
Thanks for your response..!
Thanks pks.k & chander.

For me reproduction of the 1st 2 octaves (20Hz to 40 Hz and 40 Hz to 80 Hz) is Very Important. Reproduction of good LF adds a level of realism that provides ambience clues for several recordings. My speakers have 6 Nos 8 inch woofers (3 per channel).

You are correct, Deep bass is more felt than heard.

My challenge was to get Deep Bass reproduction without excessive room resonance & also High SPL (Sound Pressure Levels) when required, for the Western Rock, Pop, Electronic music that I listen to. All this is a relatively small Room ( approx 15 ft length x 11 ft width x 9 ft height)

I am very happy with the results that I have achieved, placing such large speakers in such a small room, and the room handling high SPLs.

Can Marantz SR 5013 (I have) drive Revel Concerta 2 F36 ( 6ohms ) ???
Don't go by the Ohms rating of any speaker company as impedance, which is measured in Ohms tend to vary from frequency to frequency and is not a constant value for any speaker.
To answer your question, Yes the Marantz can drive the concerta f36 well as it is a 91db sensitive speaker.

Have Included a couple of pics belowView attachment 59332

View attachment 59333

Amazing..I remember hearing this at your home perhaps 10-12 years back and I think the speakers/Amp and CD remains the same ? :)

I heard Pink Martini for the first time and still have the CDR you gave me !

Don't go by the Ohms rating of any speaker company as impedance, which is measured in Ohms tend to vary from frequency to frequency and is not a constant value for any speaker.
To answer your question, Yes the Marantz can drive the concerta f36 well as it is a 91db sensitive speaker.
The impedance drops to 3.8 ohms at 150 and per what’s mentioned online it’s more like a 4 ohm speakers. The Marantz 5013 will drive them but not well enough or to their potential.

Amazing..I remember hearing this at your home perhaps 10-12 years back and I think the speakers/Amp and CD remains the same ? :)

I heard Pink Martini for the first time and still have the CDR you gave me !
WOW! Arj,

You have a FANTASTIC Memory!

Yes, Pink Martini's Sympathique is a Very Special album

ab7073e02a801e9c2cdeeeac599.jpg

Yes, Arj, the key components have remained the same, though I believe the sound has changed radically... The room resonance, excess Bass & Grunge is gone, Resolution has vastly improved.

Just shows How much can be improved by careful room placement & treatment, Cables, tweaking etc. Has been an arduous journey over more than a decade.

Fortunately ( ? ) for me I knew what sound I wanted, and went after it.... Bass was Always an ESSENTIAL ingredient, despite my
small room.

I am happy today.

Hi all,

I have wharfedale 225 .... Looking to upgrade ....

They are lacking in the bass department & they are little laid back in the treble department .... So I am looking for a pair of bookshelves that can produce great bass (that hits you is the chest kinda) ..... Price range around 80K ....

Any suggestions .... It's for music playback
Try KEF R3s, had Focal Chorus 836V floor standers and it used to give pure chest thumping enjoyable bass, R3 are not where close to focals but really enjoy the bass, its not strong but it has the tight bass which is enjoyable.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back