Bookshelf Speakers that hits you in the chest with it's bass ....

Hi all,

I have wharfedale 225 .... Looking to upgrade ....

They are lacking in the bass department & they are little laid back in the treble department .... So I am looking for a pair of bookshelves that can produce great bass (that hits you is the chest kinda) ..... Price range around 80K ....

Any suggestions .... It's for music playback
If you need great bass?? Go for any semi vintage 3way book shelf speakers, , any made in Japan or USA company speakers, you get good low end & high frequency, minimum 10 inch daul magnate drives , suitable for you

Hi all,

They are lacking in the bass department & they are little laid back in the treble department .... So I am looking for a pair of bookshelves that can produce great bass (that hits you is the chest kinda) ..... Price range around 80K ....

The wharfedales are very good speakers.

What you need is a sub.

Instead of changing your speakers, buy a good sub. It will transform your music.

My suggestion is the Q Acoustics QB12. You can get for around 50k.

Chest thumping bass?
Quick thought: keep you current bookshelves and buy a 12” powered subwoofer. You should be able to find a decent one for 80K.
warning: you may not like to listen to chest thumping bass after the first few minutes.

Considered response:
you may Also consider spending more time in understanding more about good quality low frequency reproduction and what is understood to be quality bass before making a decision to buy anything.
There are some good threads on the topic here and on the net, as also several experienced FMs who can advise. I know I have benefitted from several FMs suggestions.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Connected my D225, played some punchy electronics and gave it as much power as it can handle. It was punching nicely. For anything more, a sub may be required.

Any half decent speaker's bass will thump your chest, if they can output sufficient SPL. Speaker sensitivity has nothing to do with bass per se.
What is the minimum SPL required? Can ported ones produce it at lower spl compared to sealed ones?

What is the minimum SPL required?
There's no ROT for this.
Can ported ones produce it at lower spl compared to sealed ones?
What is "it"? If "it"= bass then understand that bass is just a term for lower frequencies. These frequencies also are subject to SPL. So you might want to reword your question.

The wharfedales are very good speakers.

What you need is a sub.

Instead of changing your speakers, buy a good sub. It will transform your music.

My suggestion is the Q Acoustics QB12. You can get for around 50k.
Chest thumping bass?
Quick thought: keep you current bookshelves and buy a 12” powered subwoofer. You should be able to find a decent one for 80K.
warning: you may not like to listen to chest thumping bass after the first few minutes.

Considered response:
you may Also consider spending more time in understanding more about good quality low frequency reproduction and what is understood to be quality bass before making a decision to buy anything.
There are some good threads on the topic here and on the net, as also several experienced FMs who can advise. I know I have benefitted from several FMs suggestions.
He already has a Rhythmik sub

Everybody's taking about big drivers but nobody's mentioned the Monitor Audio Bronze 100s.

I was waiting to reply on this thread for the very reason, because I haven't really understood what is wrong and not being the most learned person on this forum, I was waiting for others to chime in. His treble presentation issue is understandable - something like a monitor audio BS can sort out that issue and also provide a lot more bass. However the OP is not happy with the bass with a sub. Which BS in a "BS" format (not talking about the heresys and the lintons) will outdo a dedicated sub?

EDIT - I see you suggested the monitor audio too.

Last edited:
There's no ROT for this.

What is "it"? If "it"= bass then understand that bass is just a term for lower frequencies. These frequencies also are subject to SPL. So you might want to reword your question.
By 'it', I meant slamming/chest thumping bass. What is the minimum spl required to produce it? Can it be produced at 50db spl?

edit:
I am not sure that given the size Limitations of conventional bookshelf speakers (5-7” woofers(?), chest thumping blasts of air pressure can be generated. But I read that Devialet phantom is engineered to do this?

Last edited:
edit:
I am not sure that given the size Limitations of conventional bookshelf speakers (5-7” woofers(?), chest thumping blasts of air pressure can be generated. But I read that Devialet phantom is engineered to do this?
Apparently it's surreal. It'll be interesting to see whether it can best a KEF KC62/KF92 or larger conventional subs.

the fact that conventionally, we do not see bookshelves producing chest thinking bass does not imply that the technology does not exist. Of course, the cost of implementation is the major limiting factor.

The Klipsch Fives which have 5.25 inch woofers allegedly produce hugely more bass than the Klipsch RP600M with a 6.5 inch woofer and the price difference between the two is less than a couple of hundred quid.

By 'it', I meant slamming/chest thumping bass. What is the minimum spl required to produce it? Can it be produced at 50db spl?
I would suppose it's very subjective. But a minimum would be around 80db with some craving upto 105-110 db peaks.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back