Hi

Finally I have decided to go with Bookshelf speaker & Subwoofer

Bookshelf:
Wharfedale Diamond 225 - 27200

Subwoofer:
PB1000 - 49500
Velodyne 12 - 30600
BIC America F12 - 34000

I planned to buy this speakers within two or three days. Please suggest me whether this is a good match and its price range.

Room size is 12*15

Honestly they won't integrate well. I'm talking of BS and subs in general.

Go for FS instead. You will get stands for BS anyways, so there is not much space to save.

FS are much better for lower frequencies and bass extension.

I would recommend the svs Pb1000 out of the 3 options. Not sure about the pricing but looks to be approximately right. However if you are going to be listening to more music than movies, then a svs sb1000 will be better and will be cheaper also.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Hi Subbiya,

The wharfedales deliver low freq of 45hz...technically enough from a music standpoint but most of us would appreciate more punch and depth and that's where the sub comes in...

From all three subs, SVS claims to deliver 19hz - 270hz through 300 watts continous power..

BIC F12 delivers 24hz - 250hz through 150 watts continous..

Velodyne 12 delivers 29hz - 140hz through 165 watts of continous power..

Remember to look @ price, sub type, cone size, freq response and warranty accordingly take a call...

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have FS in my mind, but one of the dealer in chennai had suggested me to go with Wharfedale 225 BS & SVS PB1000 Sub. Also at the same time, I cannot buy FS & Sub. either FS or BS with Sub. My budget is 80K Max as of now.

I guess, after reading lots of reviews, A sub will be good for low frequency instead of FS.

Any other BS speakers to match with SVS-PB1000. My usage will be 50/50. (Music/Movies)

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have FS in my mind, but one of the dealer in chennai had suggested me to go with Wharfedale 225 BS & SVS PB1000 Sub. Also at the same time, I cannot buy FS & Sub. either FS or BS with Sub. My budget is 80K Max as of now.

I guess, after reading lots of reviews, A sub will be good for low frequency instead of FS.

Any other BS speakers to match with SVS-PB1000. My usage will be 50/50. (Music/Movies)

Audition and take the call. Just don't take dealer's word.

Too many variables... full range vs 2 way or 3 way for starters. For music FS will suffice and will also integrate better than BS + sub.

It's a decent budget (I'm assuming only for speakers). I'd highly recommend checking out Monitor Audio Silver series, DALI, Paradigm, Elac, KEF, and PSB for starters. All of them will have FS that will be extremely musical and will also go low enough to satisfy you in the bass department.

And you don't need sub with FS.

Go with 3way fs and no look back,buy subwoofer later date.front speakers delivers maximum imact in music or movies

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

If you get a good pair of Floor Standers you can skip on the Sub if Music is your usage. Sub comes into the picture only if you are getting into Movies.

I have a pair of Elac B6. When listening to Music, I switch off my Sub and switch the speakers to full range. Sounds awesome.

You could also look at pre used market for good towers. Below are two links from the forum's For Sale Page.

Polk Audio TSx440T

PSB Image T5 FS

Book Shelf or Towers, whatever you decide upon, I would suggest get the speakers first. Burn them in for the recommended duration, get used to them, understand their range and then pick the Sub to match them.

:thumbsup:
MaSh

Anyone who own's Wharfedale Diamond 240 FS. Can you please share your experience and it is 4 ohms whereas my Onkyo Tx-NR828 is 8 ohms @ 130w/ch. I will try audition after your feedback.

Anyone who own's Wharfedale Diamond 240 FS. Can you please share your experience and it is 4 ohms whereas my Onkyo Tx-NR828 is 8 ohms @ 130w/ch. I will try audition after your feedback.

That's a strict No-No. You will damage the amplifier if you connect it to 4ohm speakers. Look for 6 to 8 ohm speakers.

If the amp is not capable to drive 4 ohms better to pair any 6 or 8 ohm speaker.
4 Ohm demands higher current. Many of the entry/mid AVRs are rated for 6 to 8 Ohms in the spec sheet.

Hi,

Anyone have idea about Danavox Polestar VF-101 tower speakers. A deal from outside member for about 65K. I'm not able to see any reviews. Is that reasonable price for a second hand purchase.

Avoid. No point going for a 4ohm speaker unless you own a Stereo amp capable of driving such low impedance. Most modern amps are rated for 6ohm and above. Look at speakers rated at 8Ohms.

It won't damage until you cross let's say 50% of volume.

The damage could be done well before that in my opinion, since speaker's impedance is always varying. Best to stay within the driving potential of the amplifier.

Hi,

Anyone have idea about Danavox Polestar VF-101 tower speakers. A deal from outside member for about 65K. I'm not able to see any reviews. Is that reasonable price for a second hand purchase.

Audition them with your own amp. If you like them, then great. Also, I guess for that money you have many speakers from well known brands.

MaSh

Hi,

Thankyou for your suggestion.

I have these speakers in my mind. Found few reviews on the net, seems like good.

Heco - Victa Prime 702 - Tower Speaker (Pair)

Spec also looks good, only need to know how about the detail sound. I can't do audition on these speakers, since the dealer is in delhi.:sos:

Some other higher end from the same brand also looks good, but those speakers where not available with the same dealer. Anyone own's these speakers. ? Suggestion Please.

Hi,

In the spec of Heco Victa Prime 702 was mentioned it can be driven by 4-8ohms receiver, whereas in the review from above link says

" The impedance range is 4-8 ohms, perhaps suggestive of the fact that a well designed amplifier stable into 4 ohm loads should be considered to drive these."

This means, i wont get the good sound quality while driving it from my onkyo TX-NR828.

130Watts/Channel @ 8ohms (FTC)
180Watts/Channel @ 6ohms (IEC)
215Watts/Channel @ 6ohms (JEITA)

Attachments

• Onkyo-TX-NR828.jpg
    Onkyo-TX-NR828.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 72
The speakers seem fine, especially with sidvee's review. Even the bass seems a winner and will negate the need for a sub.

However, you'll need a better amp, preferably a stereo amp in the same price range to get the best out of them instead of the AVR.

Plan to get a matching amp eventually... even if you have to save up for it.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back