Bose or polk

I have an piece of advice for the OP. Drop both the Polk and Bose lines.

Get yourself an Audioengine A5 speaker with the matching subwoofer and you will come out WAYYYYYYY ahead. This is for pure music listening pleasure. If you need this for Home Theater stuff....please disregard my advice and continue searching.

For music, get an Ipod, load it with lossless music files, get a Wadia iPod dock, WADIA - 151 PowerDAC Mini (or a DAC of your choice), the Audio Engine A5 and that will be an awesome sounding system. Might increase the budget a bit more, but worth every penny and them some.

Hi Shaizada,
could you elaborate on this ?which subwoofer would go with the Audioengine speakers . Also would this combo work with a tube amp or does it need solid state amps(Read it was powered but just asking)?

Also are these speakers available in India?
Thanks

Last edited:
Guyz, the OP obviously is a new entrant to our hobby. What he needs is some guidance in the right direction in terms of gyan on requirement gathering (sorry I'm an IT coolie :D) and product selection. Most of you have offered very valid suggestions but are they really practical from a novice's perspective???

Dear OP,

There are a few things you should be sure of before selecting your product -

• You have started well with defining your budget (70K)
  • What is your requirement? (Music or Movies)
  • What all do you need? (CD Player or other sources, Amp, Speakers, paraphernelia)
  • What is your choice in music? (though you have pointed our that you need lots of bass)
  • How big is your room?

For the time being, I am assuming you are looking for a stereo (2-channel)setup. There are a lot of good brands in the market. I would dare say that most are better than Bose at much lesser cost. Do a market survey...search this excellent forum. Some of the brands you might want consider -
Amp - NAD, Cambridge Audio, Marantz, Norge (Indian), Lyrita (Indian)
Speakers - Monitor Audio, KEF, Wharfedale, Mordaunt Short, Norge, Lyrita

Also keep in mind that you would have to spring for accessories like Interconnects, speaker cables and decent stands (in case you go for bookshelves).

If you could provide more info on your requirements, you'll find that the forum members can be more than helpful with their advice.

:cheers:

hmmm,

I think we should talk about level of satisfaction rather than level of Bose/polk/B-W etc. if a Rs 4000 set up gives me 100% satisfaction , why should i look for anything above that. People remain dissatisfied even after spending a million on audio equipment. so i think its not the level of a brand but level of satisfaction which a brand gives is more important. If someone likes Bose sound, then its a gem for him and not shit.BTW I do not use Bose. I use simple full range philips drivers driven by Yamaha AVR and i am happy.
BTW, OP may try philips MCD 177 or 183(if he is open to budget systems). He may get satisfaction. Do not look at the price tag. May feel demoted unnecessarily. I became more open minded and less biased after reading the Tripath amp thread by psychotropic:)

I can't understand why Bose vs Others threads always have some misunderstandings in forum.

I was wondering if there could be a facility or tool in forum where a thread starter can see all the threads related to one brand at one place.
For example, suppose xyz user wants to buy Bose, then somewhere in the forum home page we can have link to all Bose related threads. Similarly, if xyz wants to buy Wharfedale, then on homepage can we have link to all Wharfedale related threads.

Another approach could be, when xyz is creating a new thread. Before thread is created forum can give user xyz links to about 3 to 4 threads which have similar kind of discussion. If xyz finds nothing helpful on given links, then a new thread can be definitely created.

I am not aware what would be the effort required for these changes. My point is why to loose a potential new forum member or old forum members for the sake of Bose.

Last edited:
I can't understand why Bose vs Others threads always have some misunderstandings in forum.

I was wondering if there could be a facility or tool in forum where a thread starter can see all the threads related to one brand at one place.
For example, suppose xyz user wants to buy Bose, then somewhere in the forum home page we can have link to all Bose related threads. Similarly, if xyz wants to buy Wharfedale, then on homepage can we have link to all Wharfedale related threads.

Another approach could be, when xyz is creating a new thread. Before thread is created forum can give user xyz links to about 3 to 4 threads which have similar kind of discussion. If xyz finds nothing helpful on given links, then a new thread can be definitely created.

I am not aware what would be the effort required for these changes. My point is why to loose a potential new forum member or old forum members for the sake of Bose.

Option 1:
Click on 'Search' -->> Type "Bose" or "Wharfedale" -->> Click 'Go'

Option 2:
In the HFV landing page, look at the list of 'Popular Tags'. Click on the tag that is relevant to your interest (Bose, Amplifier, LCD etc.) to get a list of tagged threads

Option 2.1:
Click on 'Popular Tags'.
Enter your search pattern (Bose, Wharfedale etc.) in the field 'Search by Tags'.
Click on search to get a list of tagged threads

Hope this helps
:cheers:

Yes, soulforged these are already there. But it seems users of these are very few.

Another option is to restrict anything that has has a combination of the letters B, O, S, E in that order...the downside would be that we might lose a few of our Bengali friends :p

having been in this forum for some time now - and having known some people -

i must say this-

if audio_engr has something to say - it would be best to take that advice for what it is -

it will help each one of us - in our quest - the quest being to find an audio system to own and enjoy -

If you and mickjak77 are ready NOT to get excited and lose your temper, I think both of you have misunderstood what Audio-Engr wrote. English is a strange language, particularly when your write. For example, the word 'level' has been used by Audio-Engr to mean something, and both of you have understood it to mean something else. 'Level' need not only signify something derogatory, nor even something at different heights (of right and wrong). 'Level', in this particular case, could also mean technology and listening needs. For example, Polk and Bose enhance the base extensively, and this is something many people like. A speaker such as B&W plays music with a completely different sound signature as compared to the other two, and I know of many people who think B&W 'stinks'. Bose and Polk are easy to drive, while B&Ws are not.

So the level that Audio-Engr is talking about refers to sound signature, amplifier requirements, and a whole lot of other features that define these speakers.

suri, venkatcr,

Believe me, my intention was not to question anyone's capabilities or seniority. Having been a member for few weeks now and having gone through quite a few threads here, I have complete appreciation towards both of your & audio_engr's contributions to this forum. However, as I pointed out to audio_engr earlier, his post came off wrong. Hence I highlighted it to him as politely as I can and I did not loose my temper. When I re-read the thread after venkatcr's explanation, now I can make sense of what audio_engr meant. I hope you see my viewpoint: For beginners who don't fully understand some of the commonly used terms (in audio parlance), they can mean something else.

When I say driving a Mercedes Benz and a Ferrari are at different levels, it will be strange if you take offence.

Before you explode at someone, the least one can do is to ask that person for a meaning or an explanation.

Like you mentioned English indeed is a strange language. Depending on how the Mercedes / Ferrari driving experience is worded and where it is posted, people can indeed take offence. And that's all my point was. Let me reiterate, I don't use abusive language and I did not "explode"

I just hope that we can clear up this misunderstanding and move on

-***hey someone stated hyderabad in the thread****

These are the main ones in the city

1. Sound n Vision - Begumpet - Extensive collection2 much attitude

2. Pro FX, Somajiguda (House all Pro FX ..polk, Denon Focal, Chord etc...)

3. Sound Room - Banjara Hills (Official distributors for Oppo in Hyd, they have good hifi brands on them)

4. Vector Projection, Nagarjuna Circle, Banjara Hills

5. Audio Solutions - Vijaynagar Colony (Energy, Monitor Audio etc, this guy happens to be a sound engineer)

6. Cinebles -Jamo showroom also stock Sherwood

7. Onkyo Showroom - Ameerpet

8. Bose Showroom - Somajiguda

9. JBL Showroom - Prasads Imax Complex

Other include consumer electronic malls like Xcite, EZone etc.

***go n take demos...dont run for price...focal is also good as i compared with polk and bose****

then decide makes u feel happy... also chk with seniors members for the best combo of what u are lookin for so u can get happiness and performance...

Another option is to restrict anything that has has a combination of the letters B, O, S, E in that order...the downside would be that we might:mad: lose a few of our Bengali friends :p

i've heard a few BOSE systems and didnt like the sound at all. i probably would'nt buy them even if they were priced at a sane level. with the kind of prices they charge, its a no-brainer really. so here's one bengali who is not offended :).
from what i know about BOSE (and i dont claim to know too much!), they have a lot of proprietary technologies in the field of sound (but not restricted to the home theater section) so thats where their expertise lies. we generally tend to concentrate on the home theater section where - lets face it - there are better products available at much lower prices.
bottomline - buy their noise cancelling headphones by all means but god protect us from their (so-called) home theater systems.

p.s. - soulforged, try taking a dig at satyajit ray instead of bose and see what the bengali gang does to you :mad::mad::mad:%(&*%&^#(%&*

....facts behind those enthusiastic assertions please???

Well, I have heard the top of the line (and bottom ones too) systems from both these companies and found them to be shit, hence the assestions:lol:
Maybe I should rephrase the sentence, they sounded like shit...

Well, I have heard the top of the line (and bottom ones too) systems from both these companies and found them to be shit, hence the assestions:lol:

You mean every sound they make is "thwack"?

You mean every sound they make is "thwack"?

hehehe!!! malvai!

actually if one has been having a good balanced diet (with adequate roughage and plantains) - then he/she should be evacuating three well formed pieces of s@@@ - and these hit the water with a sound that sounds like "PLOOP"

"THWACK" is when that s@@@ hits the fan!!:lol:

p.s. - soulforged, try taking a dig at satyajit ray instead of bose and see what the bengali gang does to you :mad::mad::mad:%(&*%&^#(%&*

hey ranojoy...for someone who watches 'agantuk' once every 2 weeks...i wouldn't be the one taking a dig at satyajit da... :)

btw...what i meant was if we restrict everything that has b-o-s-e in it some of our friends named Bose might suffer collateral damage...like brother nitinbose... :D

I guess you have not heard the LSi15 or 25 then

Last edited:
hey ranojoy...for someone who watches 'agantuk' once every 2 weeks...i wouldn't be the one taking a dig at satyajit da... :)

btw...what i meant was if we restrict everything that has b-o-s-e in it some of our friends named Bose might suffer collateral damage...like brother nitinbose... :D

ooops. my mistake. i guess i got that wrong then.
btw, great to have another 'agantuk' admirer on the forum !!! when i saw it for the first time (in a movie theater), i came out in a daze. the experience has only got better at each "re-watch".

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back