Bose or polk

hasnainkhorakiwala

Well am interested in buying speakers and amp ( something with a lot of muscle, good bass as well ). Please suggest, have already checked out Bose Acoustimass 5 and then POLK Tower speakers with a DENON AMP . Frankly I`m confused My budget is 70K.

Agree on the same, best is that he should audition both of them and then go for the one he finds best.

Personally Polk is way better than Bose.

Buy two 12inch Bolton woofer , 5 in mid drivers , 1 inch dome tweeter ( ask Bolton if they are manufacturing Diamond tweeters, if so buy them ) , some good cross overs . Arrange a Carpenter to make the boxes, the end result will be better then both the brands you have auditioned

Or

Buy a Nad / Marantz / CA amplifier for 25K range , Book shelf speakers for 30K from Mordaunt short / Quad / Monitor Audio / Mission and 15k for the CDP. This will give you very good Musical sound .

I just came back from a polk 30k and 54k and denon 1610 audition. VERY dissapointed, the sound was FAT, loose and if you took the statement warm. It was freaking melting.

I'd rather buy a cheap htib than invest in polk+denon. Heck the budget Kef system beside it sounded better on the same denon.

I quite like bose just for the amount of sound they manage to squeeze out of such diminutive packages.If space is an issue and you want to please your wife/neighbours go for Bose.Look elsewhere if you are after great sound.
Klipsch is a good compromise (oxymoron).Sounds good,has plenty bass,not a Bose.Power them with a Denon or Marantz or even Yamaha and you have something that will definitely sound better than the Bose,make sure use an amp with a power rating atleast 25% higher than the rating of the speakers.
Bose is essentially a lifestyle brand.I love the packaging,just as I love the packaging of B&O.Do I love the sound? Not really.Do I love the way it looks/operates/convenience absolutely.

Last edited:
The guy is at the BOSE AM5 and Polk level. Why drag him all the way to B&W and then burden him with an expensive amp to drive them?
Just leave him where he's comfy!

Hey you need to learn to respect man. Your attitude stinks!! What happened to this forum.

Sir :
I suggest that you take over from here for this THREAD and offer some real advice. Just scanned thru most of your posts to see your contribution to the Forum. :annoyed: I hardly see any!

regards!

P.S. I sincerely hope the Mod / SuperMod is watching this Thread.

Thanks for the background check pal, so your contribution gives you the right to carry your crappy attitude around ...hmm how convenient. Anyways all I wanted to address here was to treat the people who come in with some very basic questions with some respect. Nobody needs to decide who's at what level just direct them to the right post or say its been discussed.

I have an piece of advice for the OP. Drop both the Polk and Bose lines.

Get yourself an Audioengine A5 speaker with the matching subwoofer and you will come out WAYYYYYYY ahead. This is for pure music listening pleasure. If you need this for Home Theater stuff....please disregard my advice and continue searching.

For music, get an Ipod, load it with lossless music files, get a Wadia iPod dock, WADIA - 151 PowerDAC Mini (or a DAC of your choice), the Audio Engine A5 and that will be an awesome sounding system. Might increase the budget a bit more, but worth every penny and them some.

The guy is at the BOSE AM5 and Polk level. Why drag him all the way to B&W and then burden him with an expensive amp to drive them?
Just leave him where he's comfy!

@audio_engr, No disrespect, but even I found your post to be a bit offensive. A lot of new members like me are at the Bose & Polk "level" and we are here to learn about the many facets of what constitutes a true hifi system. Not being in "true audiophile" level and our minimal or lack of contribution to the forum should not stop us from asking & getting informative answers from senior forum members and becoming true audiophiles. Just my thoughts - I think your suggestion is valid but it came off on a wrong note.

Having said that, I agree that members should first use search before posting repetitive questions.

Buy two 12inch Bolton woofer , 5 in mid drivers , 1 inch dome tweeter ( ask Bolton if they are manufacturing Diamond tweeters, if so buy them ) , some good cross overs . Arrange a Carpenter to make the boxes, the end result will be better then both the brands you have auditioned

Or

Buy a Nad / Marantz / CA amplifier for 25K range , Book shelf speakers for 30K from Mordaunt short / Quad / Monitor Audio / Mission and 15k for the CDP. This will give you very good Musical sound .

Hi Has,

+1 to what soundof music has said. I don't think you will be ready to build a speaker yet.So go with the second advice.Please give a PM to any of the senior members from Hyderabad and ask them that from which shops can get speaker auditions.

My suggestion would be...
1.If your budget is only for the speakers and amp take an audition of Wharfedale 9.5 or 9.6 FS and Marantz amps like PM7001 or 7003.

2.If your budget includes a CD player then take an audition of Wharfedale 9.2
Bookshelves with the said amps and get a MArantz CDP.You will be definitely be better off than the Bose and Polk.

Happy Hunting!

cheers,
sri

@audio_engr, No disrespect, but even I found your post to be a bit offensive. A lot of new members like me are at the Bose & Polk "level" and we are here to learn about the many facets of what constitutes a true hifi system. Not being in "true audiophile" level and our minimal or lack of contribution to the forum should not stop us from asking & getting informative answers from senior forum members and becoming true audiophiles. Just my thoughts - I think your suggestion is valid but it came off on a wrong note.

If you and mickjak77 are ready NOT to get excited and lose your temper, I think both of you have misunderstood what Audio-Engr wrote. English is a strange language, particularly when your write. For example, the word 'level' has been used by Audio-Engr to mean something, and both of you have understood it to mean something else. 'Level' need not only signify something derogatory, nor even something at different heights (of right and wrong). 'Level', in this particular case, could also mean technology and listening needs. For example, Polk and Bose enhance the base extensively, and this is something many people like. A speaker such as B&W plays music with a completely different sound signature as compared to the other two, and I know of many people who think B&W 'stinks'. Bose and Polk are easy to drive, while B&Ws are not.

So the level that Audio-Engr is talking about refers to sound signature, amplifier requirements, and a whole lot of other features that define these speakers.

When I say driving a Mercedes Benz and a Ferrari are at different levels, it will be strange if you take offence.

Before you explode at someone, the least one can do is to ask that person for a meaning or an explanation.

And believe me, there is no such thing as a 'true' audiophile. Listening to music and sound of any sort is very personal and depends a lot on your ears and you mood. Some of us are fortunate enough to listen to varied systems and remember what we heard. That is all that differentiates one from another.

Cheers

Last edited:
If you and mickjak77 are ready NOT to get excited and lose your temper, I think both of you have misunderstood what Audio-Engr wrote. English is a strange language, particularly when your write. For example, the word 'level' has been used by Audio-Engr to mean something, and both of you have understood it to mean something else. 'Level' need not only signify something derogatory, nor even something at different heights (of right and wrong). 'Level', in this particular case, could also mean technology and listening needs. For example, Polk and Bose enhance the base extensively, and this is something many people like. A speaker such as B&W plays music with a completely different sound signature as compared to the other two, and I know of many people who think B&W 'stinks'. Bose and Polk are easy to drive, while B&Ws are not.

So the level that Audio-Engr is talking about refers to sound signature, amplifier requirements, and a whole lot of other features that define these speakers.

When I say driving a Mercedes Benz and a Ferrari are at different levels, it will be strange if you take offence.

Before you explode at someone, the least one can do is to ask that person for a meaning or an explanation.

Cheers

Ditto!
Also, @audio_engr: You're a big man to aplogise despite everything :clapping::clapping::clapping:

hello friends, my name is nihang :) even i want to buy the same stuffs with same budget of 70k lets please concentrate of the topic stop misunderstandings no one was wrong both are good :)

thanks
regards

having been in this forum for some time now - and having known some people -

i must say this-

if audio_engr has something to say - it would be best to take that advice for what it is -

it will help each one of us - in our quest - the quest being to find an audio system to own and enjoy -

When's the next TT coming?

Am auditioning a Clearaudio Ambient (pre-owned but kept in mint condition) on Monday.

If all goes well and, when I get paid for me own TT that I have sold, then by mid-april I should be back in business!

actually had never listened to bose ,main reason being i dislike sound from a sub/sat , last week was @ cochin and got to listen to these @ planet M (dont know the model) these guys were really blasting it out and were agreable to play most of the cds i asked them to play.

as someone earlier said, the bose spkrs are really packaged well thats about it . it may be ok for a second small set up for casual listening or a bed room set up

As for the sound , i dint like them it distorts @ loud levels ,mids sound harsh and irritating ,highs are not smooth irritable too , lows are lost not at all defined ---it may be suitable for casual listening at low levels ( though not to my liking)

would recommend similar spkrs that i have seen from sonodyne at much lesser pricing (that is if you want to go the sub/sat way) , or you cud demo the sub/sats from def tech

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back