Boston Acoustics vs Mordaunt Short

arjs_1

Looking for your peoples' opinions and suggestion to make the choice between the 2 floorstanders I have narrowed down upon:

Boston Acoustics CS 226
or
Mordaunt Short Carnival 8

to go with my NAD 325 BEE amplifier.

I listen to Pink Floyd, U2, Eagles, Dire Straits....

The Boston Acoustics is more expensive, but still within my budget. The Carnival 8 might be an old model, but they sounded pretty good, and the shop is giving a warranty for the speakers.

Looking for good bass(most important) and mids. Both speakers feature 2 x 6.5" drivers and one tweeter. Going by the specs however, the Carnival 8 seems to go down to 39Hz while the Boston Acoustics one only goes till 46 Hz.

I've only yet had the chance to hear the Carnival 8, still to hear the Boston Acoustics properly (the shop had one damaged speaker of Boston Acoustics so couldn't listen to the pair). People generally have told me that Boston Acoustics gives better detailing and more punch/bass; but I would like to know your opinions.

I have not heard either of them but if you wish we could go together and audition these speakers and then take a call....

Kindest regards
--
Bryston + B&W

Don't compare Boston Acoustics with Mordaunt Short.

Boston is more of a party kinda speakers.
will sound impressive when you're listening for the first time.
after 5 mins will sound intolerable.
Buy them only if you wan't to impress people,who don't know about good sound.
I have heard Boston speakers with Marantz amp and my ears
were begging to stop the noise:D

Whereas Mordaunt Short makes some really good speakers
which may not impress neighbours but will do faithfull job for the owner.
plz specify your budget and taste,
and our forum members will tell you what are the good options for your NAD amp.

lots of brands out their at various price points to satisfy diverse tastes, but coming to the question of best amongst these 2 then it has to be Mordaunt Short.

I do not know much about the new models from Boston acoustics. I have heard a pair of their older floorstanding models and I would prefer them to the new entry level speakers from Morduant short. They were true rock n roll loudspeakers and an audiophile alternative to JBL for those who like to listen to rock. Those speakers were a bit expensive too.
I have no clue about their current line-up.

Thanks a lot guys!

Regarding the price as some of you have asked, the BA are about 10K more expensive than the MS, but still within my budget. I have to do an audition for BA tomorrow, so I have to basically decide then if spending the 10K extra might be worth it.

Btw Pro Acoustics at Khan Market is clearing their stock and so are selling the speakers at discounted rates (MS Carnival 8 for 12K and BA CS226 for 25K)
They've however promised a sealed piece for either, with bill (and serial number of speaker) and with 1yr warranty.

Id really appreciate it if you could also please suggest any other things one should check (any bar code or serial number?) before buying the speakers to make sure they're genuine.

Thanks a lot guys!

Regarding the price as some of you have asked, the BA are about 10K more expensive than the MS, but still within my budget. I have to do an audition for BA tomorrow, so I have to basically decide then if spending the 10K extra might be worth it.

Btw Pro Acoustics at Khan Market is clearing their stock and so are selling the speakers at discounted rates (MS Carnival 8 for 12K and BA CS226 for 25K)
They've however promised a sealed piece for either, with bill (and serial number of speaker) and with 1yr warranty.

Id really appreciate it if you could also please suggest any other things one should check (any bar code or serial number?) before buying the speakers to make sure they're genuine.

Could you PM me their no? These sound like great deals!

lots of brands out their at various price points to satisfy diverse tastes, but coming to the question of best amongst these 2 then it has to be Mordaunt Short.

I am basically looking for good bass and secondly decent mids and highs. I plan to add a 10" subwoofer later on. I also want something slightly bright to complement the NAD 325 BEE (Which is laid back) Budget for floorstanders is upto 25K. Don't really want bookshelves.

I have seen Sonodyne (too expensive, didnt much like the sound either), Wharfedale 9.4 (good, but, laid back), Dali (too expensive), Jamo (didn't impress me much)

Being in Delhi, there is limited variety that one has.

I found a good deal for the MS and BA from this shop in Khan market, and both these speakers seem to have 2x6.5" drivers that give decent punch and good mids.

So this is how I have arrived at this shortlist :)

Opinions/comments welcome.

I am basically looking for good bass and secondly decent mids and highs. I plan to add a 10" subwoofer later on. I also want something slightly bright to complement the NAD 325 BEE (Which is laid back) Budget for floorstanders is upto 25K. Don't really want bookshelves.

I have seen Sonodyne (too expensive, didnt much like the sound either), Wharfedale 9.4 (good, but, laid back), Dali (too expensive), Jamo (didn't impress me much)

Being in Delhi, there is limited variety that one has.

I found a good deal for the MS and BA from this shop in Khan market, and both these speakers seem to have 2x6.5" drivers that give decent punch and good mids.

So this is how I have arrived at this shortlist :)

Opinions/comments welcome.

Thk you can get Mission M34 for that price should be perfect for you.

Looking for your peoples' opinions and suggestion to make the choice between the 2 floorstanders I have narrowed down upon:

Boston Acoustics CS 226
or
Mordaunt Short Carnival 8

to go with my NAD 325 BEE amplifier.

I listen to Pink Floyd, U2, Eagles, Dire Straits....

Looking for good bass(most important) and mids. Both speakers feature 2 x 6.5" drivers and one tweeter. Going by the specs however, the Carnival 8 seems to go down to 39Hz while the Boston Acoustics one only goes till 46 Hz.

I also have similar taste both in sound and tracks. I just bought wharfedale diamond 9.2. its also very good in bass and comes for Rs. 15,300. 9.2 has only one 6.5" driver. don't go by number of drivers. i have a norge amp which is good on mid range and bass. So wharfies seem to pair well with norge. anyway, check wharfe 9.2 out before decide. For a review on 9.2 pls see my thread by searching for rams1977. murali_n and srikarv in the forum may also help you to decide on 9.2.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back