Bought a new home PC

Vinod.R

Hi all,

Bought a new PC after the old one gave up the ghost.

Bought just the CPU with the following tech specifications:

1) Intel processor i3 second generation 2120.
2) Motherboard Intel DH67CL with hdmi, DVI, 16 usb ports, 2 3.0 usb ports and one ESATA port.
3) Nvidia graphics card 1GB with passive heat sink for less noise which has one HDMI, DVI and VGA port.
4) Dell professional keyboard.
5) Zebronics Bijli cabinet with a total of 3 fans in the cabinet.
6) Gold power supply SMPS (450W) from Zebronics.
7) 32 GB RAM, provision, one slot 8 GB ram installed with provision to install three more.
8) 1TB WD HDD.
9) LG DVD multi DVD writer (hopefully will upgrade to Blu ray burner later).
10) Kaspersky anti virus software installed.
11) Had it installed by a professional who did all the recommendations. He was an excellent guy and was with me through the purchase, installation etc all the way.

Will follow it up with pictures later. Want to know the approximate cost that would be reasonable to know whether I paid a reasonable price. The rest of the things like Monitor, mouse, UPS I already have so this is the major investment.

So what do the PC/HTPC gurus think? Flowers and brickbats welcome.

Please make any suggestions so that I can improve on the existing system.

Vinod

Last edited:
Congrats on your new purchase. What do you intend to run with core i3 and 8gb ram? Nevertheless this is more than enough for htpc, get the right softwares like xbmc , etc and all set. Not sure what is the exacT gpu model but I hope it pulls 3 d. Price wise I think 20 to 23 k.

Hi Haiksaikat,,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I know 8GB is not good enough, but right now RAM prices are expensive and the guy who installed asked me to wait and he would let me know when the prices are down enough so that I can fill the rest of the slots with 32 gb. :)

Graphics Card is Nvidia GEFORCE 210. I looked into the box and it did not say if it supported 3D. However it says 0dB silent passive cooling, Turbo Cache 1G memory DDR 3, EMI shield for cleaner signal etc.

This is where I need help. Software which ones to install? I would primarily like to download good HD/Full HD content (dont know if I am allowed to say this!) plus SACD/DVD audio (again if I am allowed to say this!) and burn and play them thru my existing system until my blu ray player arrives.

Then it will be a mix of original blu ray disks plus high quality content in terms of movies and music thru the net.

Price wise you are absolutely correct. Rs 23,700.

What else can I do with this PC, sorry if I am naive in asking this question and which is where I need real help. I need help and links that I can use to install additional software for HTPC use.

Vinod

Last edited:
Thanks Spirovious,

I bought this HTPC not with a particularly thought out plan.

My Asus motherboard and core two duo processor suddenly died and I had no way to ask members of this forum how to go about it since I had no PC and I had to take the help of professional who was introduced to me by a friend.

He is fantastic in terms of installation and guidance and helped me nail this PC in terms of pieces required to assemble it.

Vinod

He is fantastic in terms of installation and guidance and helped me nail this PC in terms of pieces required to assemble it.
Vinod

I learnt this from my friend.I built 2 PC later & its easy once you know the basic.

Congratulations Vinod.

Your current configuration is very good. 8GB RAM is an overkill for HTPC. You need 64bit OS to fully utilize memory over 4GB. I think the GPU you selected is an old model and it does not support 3D or HD audio. You should have selected GT520, GT610 or GT440 and AMD models like 6570.

Which OS are you using? Try Windows 8. It is available for 3.5K in flipkart and it is a full version. With fast boot option it will boot in flat 10 seconds and is great for HTPC.

For playback use XBMC.

Congratulations Vinod.

Your current configuration is very good. 8GB RAM is an overkill for HTPC. You need 64bit OS to fully utilize memory over 4GB. I think the GPU you selected is an old model and it does not support 3D or HD audio. You should have selected GT520, GT610 or GT440 and AMD models like 6570.

Which OS are you using? Try Windows 8. It is available for 3.5K in flipkart and it is a full version. With fast boot option it will boot in flat 10 seconds and is great for HTPC.

For playback use XBMC.

Thanks Baiju,

I am glad to know that my configuration is good. That is what my installer also said that 8 GB RAM is more than enough. He has said that he has used 64 bit OS for windows 7 (I don't know if I am right here) to utilize the 8 GB RAM. The GPU (graphics card) says that it is compatible with stereoscopic 3D, I hope that it means that it supports 3D here.

As far as the motherboard goes it supports full HD resolution and also audio codecs up to DTS-HD master audio. Am I right in supposing that the GPU only handles the video resolution?

What is XBMC? ( I am sure I sound like a fool here!) and how to install it? What does it do?

I will buy the Windows 8 maybe later (when I have some more Gandhi:)).

Vinod

GT210 is an antique - three years old, no hd audio, poor shader performance etc. Also any modern cpu needs two/four/eight sticks of ram for full performance. A single stick means half the memory bandwidth of what the cpu is capable of. You lose performance in memory bandwidth limited apps. Another problem point - zebronics power supplies are absolute rubbish - I've seen a zebby 450W go up in flames in front of me.

Last edited:
GT210 is an antique - three years old, no hd audio, poor shader performance etc. Also any modern cpu needs two/four/eight sticks of ram for full performance. A single stick means half the memory bandwidth of what the cpu is capable of. You lose performance in memory bandwidth limited apps. Another problem point - zebronics power supplies are absolute rubbish - I've seen a zebby 450W go up in flames in front of me.

Thanks for your valuable comments, reignofchaos.

1) Which graphics card would you recommend and what would be its cost?
2) What about the so called gold power supply from Zebronics :)sad:) is it any good? what should I change it to?
3) My ram is an 8GB transcend stick to which I will add on later.

What would you recommend I do to correct the present configuration?

Vinod

Vinod, if you do not have a need for gaming so far your PC is more than good enough.

If you do not intend to play 3D now then for the time being you will do fine with even the onboard HDMI out of your DH67 motherboard and could have done without the GPU as well. Also if you do not have a Home Theater that supports HD Audio like DTS - HD and Dolby True HD then for now settle with this and enjoy the HTPC. Your mobo has optical out and hence you can output normal Dolby / DTS 5.1 audio to your sound system if that is supported.

Just install XBMc from here and you will know the rest.

Your future upgrades can be better GPU and good SoundCard if you have a Full HD big screen TV and / or Sound System along with of course the power supply if you intend to run it for power consuming / long running works like gaming, home NAS, etc. So far utilize whatever PSU you have bought and if it works fine you should be okay.

Also

Thanks for your valuable comments, reignofchaos.

1) Which graphics card would you recommend and what would be its cost?
2) What about the so called gold power supply from Zebronics :)sad:) is it any good? what should I change it to?
3) My ram is an 8GB transcend stick to which I will add on later.

What would you recommend I do to correct the present configuration?

Vinod

Get a decent power supply. The most basic I'd recommend is a seasonic ss400 or a corsair cx430. Both cost around 2500.

Second thing you'd want to do is get another stick of ram.

Get a decent power supply. The most basic I'd recommend is a seasonic ss400 or a corsair cx430. Both cost around 2500.

Second thing you'd want to do is get another stick of ram.

Vinod, if you do not have a need for gaming so far your PC is more than good enough.

If you do not intend to play 3D now then for the time being you will do fine with even the onboard HDMI out of your DH67 motherboard and could have done without the GPU as well. Also if you do not have a Home Theater that supports HD Audio like DTS - HD and Dolby True HD then for now settle with this and enjoy the HTPC. Your mobo has optical out and hence you can output normal Dolby / DTS 5.1 audio to your sound system if that is supported.

Just install XBMc from here and you will know the rest.

Your future upgrades can be better GPU and good SoundCard if you have a Full HD big screen TV and / or Sound System along with of course the power supply if you intend to run it for power consuming / long running works like gaming, home NAS, etc. So far utilize whatever PSU you have bought and if it works fine you should be okay.

Thank you very much Reignofchaos and Haisaikat,

I have an extremely good home theatre system (non HDMI) with a Denon AVR 3803, KEF floor standers Q7 and Q5 plus one centre Q9c.

I will abide by both of your suggestions and will upgrade to:
1) One more stick of 8GB ram.
2) To a better power supply in the future like seasonic ss400 or a corsair cx430. (presently budget does not allow this)
3) Upgrade my graphic card (but what model? and it's cost?) I had to buy the present graphic card because the mobo does not have VGA out for my monitor. (I have already spoken to my installer and he has asked which card and it's approximate price.) If he can get someone else he will dispose off my present card and upgrade it to whatever you guys suggest.
4) Install XMBC on my system.

One more thing my graphics card looks much different to the one posted on Nvidia, could it be different?

Time to begin enjoying my HTPC (If I can call it that).

Thanks once more

Vinod

Last edited:
Graphics card makers use their own custom designs sometimes. So it may not look like the one on nvidia's site. It is common. You'd need an NVIDIA GT 440 or AMD 6570 or higher if you need a good card. Both are around 4000.

Upgrade to Win 8 Pro. It is worth it as you have 8GB of RAM. It would cost only Rs.690/- for the upgrade. The offer is there only until January 2013Follow this link-

Windows Upgrade Offer - Landing Page

Just enter the date of purchase as somewhere from September'12 to December'12 and update other details. You would receive a registration confirmation and promotion code in your email when you apply as per instructions the total amount you need to pay would be only Rs.690/-

Graphics card makers use their own custom designs sometimes. So it may not look like the one on nvidia's site. It is common. You'd need an NVIDIA GT 440 or AMD 6570 or higher if you need a good card. Both are around 4000.

I got that part of the customs design to make it look like they have done something to it while they have not.

In my case just a fancy looking heat sink which covers almost the whole of the graphics card instead of a fan (I guess another version of a snake oil!) and call it noiseless!!!

What does a GT440/AMD 6570 bring in? I always thought that a graphics card just takes care of the video part and audio probably gets routed thru the motherboard.

In my scenario the HDMI on the motherboard would not work at all when I upgrade later?

And how would an upgrade to Win pro help?

Sorry if I am asking a silly/wrong question as I am very new to this and am trying to understand graphic cards.

I also checked graphic cards and none of them ever carry analogue outs. Are there some cards which do so so that I can connect them straight to my avr assuming that they also decode HD audio on board.

Vinod

Last edited:
I got that part of the customs design to make it look like they have done something to it while they have not.

In my case just a fancy looking heat sink which covers almost the whole of the graphics card instead of a fan (I guess another version of a snake oil!) and call it noiseless!!!

What does a GT440/AMD 6570 bring in? I always thought that a graphics card just takes care of the video part and audio probably gets routed thru the motherboard.

In my scenario the HDMI on the motherboard would not work at all when I upgrade later?

And how would an upgrade to Win pro help?

Audio can be routed through any HDMI port including the graphic card's port. The HDMI on you board will work even after you get a video card with HDMI. On H67/Z68/H77/Z77, you can use the on chip video and a discrete card simultaneously if your board supports Lucid Virtu or Lucid MVP.

A 6570 or 440 GT brings in more shader power to the table which in layman terms means more video processing power aka better looking video.

Sorry if I am asking a silly/wrong question as I am very new to this and am trying to understand graphic cards.

I also checked graphic cards and none of them ever carry analogue outs. Are there some cards which do so so that I can connect them straight to my avr assuming that they also decode HD audio on board.

Vinod

For using HDMI, you need a receiver that supports decoding audio over HDMI.

guys, don't confuse our vinod with so much ideas all of which he cannot put to use right away. Let him figure out a couple of things by himself by browsing through this forum or by using hs own gear for a while

Hi Haisaikat,

Thek hi bole cho (You said right).

I am really confused and feel that I appear to be a dodo in front of you guys in terms of knowledge about PC/HTPC/graphic cards.

Hopefully I have not bought a total lemon!

I will definitely start using it more frequently and within a period of time put in my problems in this thread and hopefully you guys can solve it.

Anyways while trying to install XMBC the system said 32 bit XMBC is not supported. What to do?

Vinod

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back