Bought a new home PC

I have tried it once more but no go.

Tried different tracks, some movie clips where I am able to change the setting of XBMC to optical but still no audio, what could be the problem?

Hello Cbeshyam,

Thanks for your reply.

I am sure the optical out on my mobo should be able to handle at least from stereo to DTS. However there is no audio, I am wondering if there is some switch or some place where I have to activate it on my PC. I would not need an 3.5mm to RCA in this scenario, right?

Vinod

Hi Vinod,
First let me explain how I did. This was mainly becos my Sony HT receiver at that time did not have the HDMI port.
I connected my computer via graphics card to the TV for visuals through HDMI port and connected the PC monitor via RGB cable(I had a NVIDIA card which supposed to support two monitors on different resolutions) and connecting the AVR through my sound card(internal MOBO) audio port with that cable RCA to 3.5mm cable.

But I faced one issue, NVIDIA didn't support two resolutions(I tried updating the latest drivers). I had to tone down the resolutions to 1024x768 every time, while I prefer 1920x1080 resolution on my PC monitor.

Right click the volume icon at bottom right of taskbar > Playback devices > Set optical out as default playback device. Press configure to test the speaker setup. You should hear sound through the speakers. Now set the audio in xbmc.

Thank you Baiju,

IT WORKS!!!! (I may sound like a fool not knowing how to set it up)

I was just waiting for you or Haisaikat to get it into it. Thanks once again.

Vinod

My HDD crashed last week. All my data is now on my crashed HDD.:mad:

I went to Bangalore to Stellar Recovery Services to see if any or part of it can be salvaged.

The report is that the motor + the read heads may be damaged and not the data platter itself. Of course they would know this for sure is only after they open it up. (Data recovery costs Rs 57,900 :mad::mad:)

I still have the WD warranty until Dec 2014, however, I would like to get my important data back before claiming my warranty replacement.

In BIOS the HDD reads as 0 and there is a clicking sound for 3/4 times when connected to the CPU and then it stops the clicking.

Do you guys have any suggestions in terms of data recovery please?

I am desperate.

Last edited:
data recovery is extremely expensive.. unless you have pics that you cannot live without or something else of financial concern as data.. do not go for it. rather go for a replacement...

though it wont be 50k odd however its gonna be super expensive and also add the price of hdd as once opened you will not get replacement...

that clicking noise is probably the header unable to read or failing in the movement.
try connecting it to another PC and see if works.. also try it on other sata ports with a diffrent sata cable..

That is just it.

Some personal photos and a few important financial files to recover.

Anyway what would the rough cost be and how to go about it?

Replacement is available even if the HDD is opened for recovery provided I register with WD details of the opening vendor who does the data recovery.

I have learnt my lesson, back up and back up and back up.

Vinod

Guy who did everything has half halfass knowledge. Congrats anyways!
Hi all,

Bought a new PC after the old one gave up the ghost.

Bought just the CPU with the following tech specifications:

1) Intel processor i3 second generation 2120.
2) Motherboard Intel DH67CL with hdmi, DVI, 16 usb ports, 2 3.0 usb ports and one ESATA port.
3) Nvidia graphics card 1GB with passive heat sink for less noise which has one HDMI, DVI and VGA port.
4) Dell professional keyboard.
5) Zebronics Bijli cabinet with a total of 3 fans in the cabinet.
6) Gold power supply SMPS (450W) from Zebronics.
7) 32 GB RAM, provision, one slot 8 GB ram installed with provision to install three more.
8) 1TB WD HDD.
9) LG DVD multi DVD writer (hopefully will upgrade to Blu ray burner later).
10) Kaspersky anti virus software installed.
11) Had it installed by a professional who did all the recommendations. He was an excellent guy and was with me through the purchase, installation etc all the way.

Will follow it up with pictures later. Want to know the approximate cost that would be reasonable to know whether I paid a reasonable price. The rest of the things like Monitor, mouse, UPS I already have so this is the major investment.

So what do the PC/HTPC gurus think? Flowers and brickbats welcome.

Please make any suggestions so that I can improve on the existing system.

Vinod

hi Rockfella and Regionofchaos,

Thanks for the kick in the b***:).

I will change it asap.

Which model and where to buy it from? Since I am in Thrissur, I do not know local places to get it from. Bangalore I knew.

If available in Kochi, where and what model to get?

Vinod

Last edited:
There are a lot of new psu's in flipkart, which one?

Which one here? I know I was suggested 430 here, but which would be ideal for my set up?

Last edited:
I have had 2 hard disk crashes in the last 4 years. The first one - 1.5 TB - they managed to read data without opening up the HDD using some kind of software (cost me about 7k). Got the errant drive replaced by manufacturer after that

Second time, they said they'd have to open up the disk and recover platter by platter - just like your HDD. They quoted me 22-24k for a 2 TB disk. I only had downloaded stuff on that drive, so I didnt bother. Sent it to manufacturer and got it replaced. But your 58k quote sounds a little bit too high - given its a smaller disk

Ask around for more quotes.

Also, whenever you do get system up, consider something like Flexraid. After my last crash, I bought the software ($38) and have suffered 1 more crash since then. Reinserted a new 2 TB disk and EVERYTHING got restored to what it was
Can totally vouch for it. Superb piece of software

Hi Grunthos,

I don't get it. Do they store our data in four other drives (assuming we have one HDD) in four places with the parity in different places?

One more thing, can you find out anyone who can do it for me at a lesser quote in Mumbai itself?

I do not want the entire drive out, just some important files.

Thanks.

Vinod

I don't get it. Do they store our data in four other drives (assuming we have one HDD) in four places with the parity in different places?

I assume you are referring to Flexraid. It needs one empty drive for it to store parity data, equal to (or bigger) than the biggest disk in your computer. So if you have only one disk, it has to be a same size disk. But if you have more than 1 disk (I have 3), it still needs only 1 disk to back up all three disks. Caveat being that it can restore only 1 crash at a time. So if more than 1 disk crashes at the same time, only 1 can be restored.

One more thing, can you find out anyone who can do it for me at a lesser quote in Mumbai itself?

I do not want the entire drive out, just some important files.
Vinod
As far as I understand, they need to physically check the disk before giving a quote. So if you can, possibly go to Bangalore and visit 2-3 centres and get quotes from them

get the corsair 430.. should be around 1800-2000 bucks and never ever buy those s****y psu's...

zebronics psu on a 30k cpu.. seriously nooooo...

another thing as an fyi... local cheap ones never work to the rated power..

450 watts will never be delivered .. never..... ever ...

Actually the entry level seasonics are far superior to the entry level corsairs. I'd not recommend a corsair unless it is an HX/AX series. The basic CX/VS is actually quite poorly built compared to what you get from seasonic in the same price range (s12-ii bronze power supply).

However compared to a zebronics, everything is an upgrade.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back