Bought a new home PC

My HDD crashed last week. All my data is now on my crashed HDD.:mad:

I went to Bangalore to Stellar Recovery Services to see if any or part of it can be salvaged.

The report is that the motor + the read heads may be damaged and not the data platter itself. Of course they would know this for sure is only after they open it up. (Data recovery costs Rs 57,900 :mad::mad:)

I still have the WD warranty until Dec 2014, however, I would like to get my important data back before claiming my warranty replacement.

In BIOS the HDD reads as 0 and there is a clicking sound for 3/4 times when connected to the CPU and then it stops the clicking.

Do you guys have any suggestions in terms of data recovery please?

I am desperate.

Check out SpinRite... has worked for me in the past. Most of the vendors who charge for data recovery use it.

hi Rockfella and Regionofchaos,

Thanks for the kick in the b***:).

I will change it asap.

Which model and where to buy it from? Since I am in Thrissur, I do not know local places to get it from. Bangalore I knew.

If available in Kochi, where and what model to get?

Vinod

Anything from Corsair or CoolerMaster will be fine. I have 2 from CoolerMaster and one of them has worked great for 2+ years... forget the model but its rated 650W.

Thank you very much Grunthos, theironhorse, reignofchaos and musicbee for all your suggestions.

1) First upgrade the PSU, which is the Corsair 430 or 450, I will go around to see the computer market here to see what I can find here, if not flipkart I guess.

2) HDD recovery as a first point has to be at Kochi I guess, as I cannot go to Bangalore for this as I have no place to stay and scout just for this.

3) Anyone know any other place where I can get the Corsair to see physically here in Kerala? Any famous computer shops or reliable ones around?

4) Any other suggestions are most welcome at this point.

Thanks once more.

Vinod

Checked with the shops locally.

They do not seem to have Corsair PSUs.

Models available at flipkart, Snapdeal is VS-450, CX430 and the prices seem to go up and away on the rest.

Any recommendations on these and which to order?

Vinod

Thanks Baiju.

Based on my CPU specs, is CX430 good enough? Including some future upgrades?

Right now of course my HDD stands upgraded to 2 TB. I guess that does not make much more of a power demand.

What would be the ideal price for a CX430. I fail to see how the VS450 which supposedly gives 450W as compared to the CX430 which again supposedly gives 430W could be cheaper?

It has enough juice to run your system. It powers my AMD A6 CPU, mobo, 2 HDDs, Blu-Ray writer and a graphics card without any problem. I don't know the current pricing, I bought it for around 2.4K last year.

It has enough juice to run your system. It powers my AMD A6 CPU, mobo, 2 HDDs, Blu-Ray writer and a graphics card without any problem. I don't know the current pricing, I bought it for around 2.4K last year.

Baiju, you got your PSU really cheap. Now the prices are a good 1000 more. The price works out to roughly Rs. 3200.

The only model around the Rs 2400 price range is the VS450. What do you suggest?

Anyone else has any old Corsair PSUs that they want to dispose? :) and maybe upgrade to a more wattage one?

The VS350 is for around 2k.
Baiju, you got your PSU really cheap. Now the prices are a good 1000 more. The price works out to roughly Rs. 3200.

The only model around the Rs 2400 price range is the VS450. What do you suggest?

Anyone else has any old Corsair PSUs that they want to dispose? :) and maybe upgrade to a more wattage one?

All the suggestion above I second most of them.
None the less no one mentioned the antivirus they create issues later as well so I suggest you pull up a bit there as well i have had tremendous issues with mine due to kaspersky and many have had a similar or a good experience. i would suggest after you are done with the config part take up a norton antivirus they will help you boost up and when you wish them to be off put them in the Game mode.

All the suggestion above I second most of them.
None the less no one mentioned the antivirus they create issues later as well so I suggest you pull up a bit there as well i have had tremendous issues with mine due to kaspersky and many have had a similar or a good experience. i would suggest after you are done with the config part take up a norton antivirus they will help you boost up and when you wish them to be off put them in the Game mode.

Thank you Reignofchaos, Baiju and Rockfella,

I have ordered for a Corsair VS550 for Rs 2443 from flipkart. I hope you guys approve.

The above bit , I donot understand. Arvindrao, what are you trying to say? That I have a Kaspersky or remove Kaspersky and go for Norton?

Last edited:
Got my Corsair PSU VS550 delivered today from Flipkart. UK specs. Got it delivered today at 2:10pm after I ordered it on the 24th Oct at 11:20am. Pretty prompt and a stress free delivery. Any instructions as how to install it? Going to do it the first time so would love some basic instructions as to how to do it and any precautions to take.

Last edited:
Just remove the power cable before connecting. Connecting to the motherboard and other peripherals is very easy.

Just remove the power cable before connecting. Connecting to the motherboard and other peripherals is very easy.

I will try to. Not easy for me as all wires inside look very confusing. :D

Maybe I will disconnect one wire from the old PSU then connect the new one so that I do not miss any connection.

Plan to do it in the morning so that I can see what I am doing.:)

The connectors will fix in only one direction so no worry about connection going wrong. There are two connectors to the motherboard - the bigger 12x2 pin ATXPWR connector and a smaller 2X2 pin ATX12V. Some of the connector holes have a rounded edge and so they will fix only in one direction. Connecting HDD and optical drive are also easy.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back