Bought a new home PC

Thank you Baiju, I will do as you say.

I will be offline tomorrow just for this and hopefully everything will go fine. I also plan to tag the connections so that I am sure that I get it right.

Maybe once I start doing this on my own, it become much easier in the future.

Thanks Baiju,

All connected to my Corsair PSU. It was right as you said quite easy, except when I got caught with the 4 pin connector on the top of the mobo. The Corsair had only 8 pin connectors. Then I realised that you had to prise them apart to install them. Did that and now it is fine.

I definitely feel that the computer feels as if it is on anabolic steroids. The power supply seems to supply ample current as compared to the Zebronics gold power supply. You guys (Reignofchaos, Baiju and Rockfella) were absolutely right.

Hi All,

Had my first BSOD on the computer today. I was watching a movie on XBMC and it suddenly stopped and started making a whirling/whining noise. I was on the UPS power for about 5 minutes and then it started.

It shut down and then I rebooted it and properly shut down again. Checked the HDD and it showed no bad sectors. Reloaded the graphics card driver by updating it.

Have I done the right thing? Anything else that you gurus can advise me of? No I did not get a chance to see the error code as it simply shut down.

I guess I am having a live tutorial with my computer now.

Might be an issue with anything. Can you describe the sound ? By whirling sound, it can be sound of the GPU fan or CPU fan !

Thanks for responding AnubisX,

It sounded more like a sound from the system itself. It cannot be the GPU fan as my GPU is fanless.

It went like "goooo gooooo" and then a slight shrieking howl. I cannot describe it better.

Then it shut down and asked me what mode to start it on. By the way it was on a APC 600VA UPS and this howl started after about 5 minutes on the UPS. One more thing to note, I have just changed my PSU to Corsair VS550. Never had this sound on my Zebronics PSU. Could the PSU be demanding more power than my UPS can handle? And could this be the cause?

Last edited:
Were you watching movie on UPS power? Just wondering.
Thanks for responding AnubisX,

It sounded more like a sound from the system itself. It cannot be the GPU fan as my GPU is fanless.

It went like "goooo gooooo" and then a slight shrieking howl. I cannot describe it better.

Then it shut down and asked me what mode to start it on. By the way it was on a APC 600VA UPS and this howl started after about 5 minutes on the UPS. One more thing to note, I have just changed my PSU to Corsair VS550. Never had this sound on my Zebronics PSU. Could the PSU be demanding more power than my UPS can handle? And could this be the cause?

So very enthusiastic of you to watch movie on UPS back-up power:). It is not recommended. The back-up is to save unsaved data and shutdown PC. Do you have crazy power failures in your city?

Sometimes the power goes and comes back in a minute or two. The only thing I had going on at that time was this movie.

But now, I have decided the moment the power goes off, I am shutting down the system.

By the way, this was the reason for the whining and BSOD?

It could be the psu or your cpu fan .... did it happen again?
Sometimes the power goes and comes back in a minute or two. The only thing I had going on at that time was this movie.

But now, I have decided the moment the power goes off, I am shutting down the system.

Enable hibernation, PC will hibernate and resume from the same state. You can set this in APC settings to hibernate after 5 mins after power failure or when 10% of the battery power remains. And nothing wrong in running PC on UPS... I continue to watch a movie in case of power failure (or browsing or whatever I was doing)... only my 5.1 Creative speakers don't run on the UPS so I have to switch to headphones. BTW I have a 1 KVA APC UPS that gives me 35-40 mins backup so continuing to watch the movie is not an issue for me.

BSOD is related to hardware or driver errors... not likely because you were running the PC on UPS. Likewise the whining too... probably overheating and the fan kicking in (only a wild guess on my part here). With computers it is always a process of elimination to find out the culprit unless of course one is lucky to identify the problem at first attempt.

Enable hibernation, PC will hibernate and resume from the same state. You can set this in APC settings to hibernate after 5 mins after power failure or when 10% of the battery power remains. And nothing wrong in running PC on UPS... I continue to watch a movie in case of power failure (or browsing or whatever I was doing)... only my 5.1 Creative speakers don't run on the UPS so I have to switch to headphones. BTW I have a 1 KVA APC UPS that gives me 35-40 mins backup so continuing to watch the movie is not an issue for me.

BSOD is related to hardware or driver errors... not likely because you were running the PC on UPS. Likewise the whining too... probably overheating and the fan kicking in (only a wild guess on my part here). With computers it is always a process of elimination to find out the culprit unless of course one is lucky to identify the problem at first attempt.

Thanks musicbee. I tried the hibernate mode and it seems to work quite well. My UPS is not as powerful. It is a APC 600VA model. My guess is that the back up time is about 20 minutes.

Since the BSOD, I have updated the GPU driver, checked for HDD errors and bad sectors (None were there) and since that time the CPU has been working normally.

As you rightly said, I do not know what the reason for the BSOD is. Wish I could figure it out. Funnily it never ever happened with my Zebronics PSU! First time with the Corsair PSU only.

the dump file must be there in C:\minidump. You could install "whocrashed" freely available on the internet. It will analyze the dump for you and give probable causes for the BSOD

the dump file must be there in C:\minidump. You could install "whocrashed" freely available on the internet. It will analyze the dump for you and give probable causes for the BSOD

Thanks Vaibhyavyagnik. Can you give me the correct link so I can download the correct program?

Install on my computer and find out what actually went wrong?

Can anyone recommend me a good "MECHANICAL KEYBOARD" which is not too costly.

I live by typing so the keyboard has to be good. Usually membrane keyboards only last about a year or two for me.

Had a look at the TVS-e gold mechanical keyboard for about Rs 1800. Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys.

Waiting for your suggestions.

Vinod

At that price you will only get tvse. If you can extend to 5000 rupees, Flipkart is selling the cooler master quick fire for 5000 rupees.

Can anyone recommend me a good "MECHANICAL KEYBOARD" which is not too costly.

I live by typing so the keyboard has to be good. Usually membrane keyboards only last about a year or two for me.

Had a look at the TVS-e gold mechanical keyboard for about Rs 1800. Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys.

Waiting for your suggestions.

Vinod

below Logitech keyboard could be a slightly better option (with LED Back light).
Available for Rs. 2699/- on Amazon.

Amazon.in: Buy Logitech Gaming Keyboard G105 Online at Low Prices in India | Logitech Reviews & Ratings

Talking about Zebronics power supplies.
It appears that current generation Zebronics supplies are really unreliable.
I have two Zebronics supplies on older PC's . They are 7 years old and still working well.
I set up a new computer ( with lower power consumption !) and used a Zebronics 400W smps. It worked for 20 minutes. After that when I rebooted it , it couldn't see the main HDD. After a couple of minutes I rebooted again and it would not even show up the DVD writer . I could smell something burning/over heated from the smps. Apparently the power to the HDD and DVD writer ( SATA) died. The rest of the PC worked ...up to POST. When it came to the OS it said no bootable drive found.

So I removed the old Zebronics SMPS from the older computer and used that and the PC worked properly. Note that the maximum calculated power consumption of the new PC was 250 watts !
So it pays to buy a good SMPS though the jump is quite steep. From Rs 600 to about Rs 2600 at least !

I need to find out if Zebronics will replace the SMPS. I bought it 10 days ago.

For those who might want to calculate the power requirements of their PC , can do so at the following link.

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

Thank you Reignofchaos, vizeta and Fantastic for your replies.

As rightly said, I am looking for a mechanical keyboard not a membrane one.

I live by typing so a good keyboard is important to me.

I will have a look at the cooler master keyboard as suggested. But 5K for a keyboard is a bit too much for me :).

Any good ole china equivalents other than the TVS-e which seems to be the only choice?

I was only looking at a good mechanical keyboard nothing fancy like gaming keyboards etc.

Vinod

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back