Bought home a LG 50PK550 PLASMA

I finally got my PK550 installed and running yesterday. I was part of the Group Buy in bangalore. I connected my dvd player and played "The taking of phelem 123". The default settings on the TV is the vivid mode. The colours were not at all natural and i saw some amount motion issues in this mode. As soon as i switched to the cinema mode and set the contrast and brightness to below 50% the movie looked very natural and fluid. This is the reason why i bought this TV. I disabled everything dynamic. I was amazed by quality of the TV with just a DVD. I am planning to get Tatasky HD and also planning to get OPPODVD player end of this year. Probably the new xtreamer sidewinder when it is offically launched.

I think one of us should start the PK550 Owners thread or convert this thread to the same. It would be a great way to discuss various settings.

Answering the question related to PK550 and PK750. PK750 globally has issues with playing 24p Blueray movies. I think putting the extra money to a external device like xtreamer would make more sense as you get option of supporting more formats and also firmware upgrades. It makes even more sense because you can use the optical output of the xtreamer and redirect it to a receiver and get the Full surround sound. PK550 has got the option of only stereo output. I did not find Full surround output.

The TV has got a hell lot of reflection when the TV is switched off. But when it is on it is drastically reduced. Drapes will surely help if you do not have a light controlled room.
I don't have a good camera at home currently, so unfortunately i cannot upload pictures.

Hello All,

My set got installed just evening, so well have joined the owners group now. And as Srinivas said, can use the forum to share settings and best way to use the TV :)

Well right now wife is too keen to see Friends "as is" and doesnt want me any near the remote.

I managed to take a few pics and will share soon.

Thanks,
Vivek

One thing i noticed was that there is no ISF calibration menu available on this TV. It has got a basic TV setting menu, with only gamma and black. It is worse than the options available for LG LH90. If PK750 or PK950 have these options probably that would be a plus point for those TVs. If you are planning to get the TV calibrated using a colorimeter any time.

Can any of the owners comment on this TV's reflection? Is it a problem in moderately lit rooms at daytime?
Also, what would be the approx power consumption? Does it have a 5A plug or 15A plug?

Hey Harty,

The TV is reflective all right. Probably as good as a mirror when the TV is off but as soon as a signal is there you hardly see the reflections. It would be great in a light controlled room. Also Drapes will surely help.

It has 5A plug. I am not sure of the power consumption, i could not find it anywhere in the Manual.

Looking to buy the 550 in DEL/NCR region---anyone purchasing one there? Would appreciate which shop and best price please?

Many thanks

More good news.

Shops in kolkata are quoting 63.5k for 50" pk550 plasma.

Rajneesh

Did you manage to get a demo of the set.. I went to several shops and all told me that they don't keep anything larger than 42". If I wanted a 50" plasma then I'd have to place an order with them, then only they'll get it from LG...
Was very keen on having a demo of this set...
Would be of great help if you can tell me the name of any shop where u may have seen this set in kolkata

Thanks,
Sayan

Hey Harty,

The TV is reflective all right. Probably as good as a mirror when the TV is off but as soon as a signal is there you hardly see the reflections. It would be great in a light controlled room. Also Drapes will surely help.

It has 5A plug. I am not sure of the power consumption, i could not find it anywhere in the Manual.

The power consumption is about 200 watts.. as per the lg website..

I finally got my PK550 installed and running yesterday. I was part of the Group Buy in bangalore.
I don't have a good camera at home currently, so unfortunately i cannot upload pictures.

Hmm My replacement TV came yesterday, but is of the same Aug 10 batch as the original set (which died on the 1st day). whats the date of mfgn of yours? and have u noticed the infamous "dancing green pixels" on your screen

The power consumption is about 200 watts.. as per the lg website..

But the startup and max consumption is 460W, in fact, that's written on the carton too. Since plasmas consume more or less power depending on the content it runs (same as CRTs)

Hey Guys, Hope u all r doing well.

Bought home a 50PK550-Full HD 1080p

My question is is anyone tried to play .mkv or .m2ts...I tried but got error Invalid format or file.

i tried converting .mkv/m2ts Bluray files to .avi xvid as PK550 plays the avi files. but no luck as it is firing again the same error and 550 is not reading large .avi files too.

99215585.jpg

Hi guys

landed the LG PK550 50" plasma on saturday
set it up with contrast and brightness at 50
waitign for 100 hr run in to finish to increase both

this was a box piece , i took the demo at 50% bright and cont and also at 80 each and at the 80 level it was even better than the LCD on display

the colours are so true to life on this TV
and viewing has been a pleasure

thanks to all those and the experts who helped me on my other thread to decide for a PLASMA

will keep updating my experince as it goes

NEXT UP -- A HT and wodden flooring for the room to complete the entertainment room

Hey Mate,

did u tried playing .mkv or m2ts bluray on 550. I tried but not working

Can u suugest me how u r playing Bluray movies on 550 (.mkv/m2ts)

Hi everyone, Has anyone of you bought extended warranty for 50'' pk550r. Please share for how much you got the warranty for. I am in the process of buying one myself and LG is quoting ridiculous price for the warranty.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back