Bought home a LG 50PK550 PLASMA

Any idea what is the power consumption for this 50" plasma TV. Existing owners can look at the back of the TV and get this info as i don't see this in the website.

Thanks, Prakash

Any idea what is the power consumption for this 50" plasma TV. Existing owners can look at the back of the TV and get this info as i don't see this in the website.

Thanks, Prakash

I mentioned earlier on this thread that there is no mention of Power Consumption at the back of TV except that it says 110/240V, 50/60Hz and 1.5A. I therefore deduct that it consumes 240X1.5 = 360VA which should be around 350W. Hope this helps.

PK550 owners, how come none of you is posting snaps of your setups? Come on people ... show off your plasmas!

Also, one of you please check if the USB slot on the PK550 is able to play MKV files (ie blu ray rips).

---Venkat

I bought LG 50" Plasma PK550, for 67,680(INR). LG asking for 18550/- for 3 yrs extended warranty, excluding 1 yr warranty(routine).Is it worth?

Croma has offered me 2 years extended warranty (excluding 1 year by LG) on LG50PK550 for Rs 2750.

Bought home a 50PK550R last week. But yet to test it fully.

Sorry not able to upload the user manual 12MB file.
No details on the power consumption in it.
So Sharing some points on USB from the user manual that came along:

To use a USB device
To usE a US B device
Precau tions wh en us ing the USB device
??Only a USB storage device is recognizable.
??If the USB storage device is connected through a USB hub, the device is not recognizable.
??A USB storage device using an automatic recognition programme may not be recognized.
??A USB storage device which uses its own driver may not be recognized.
??The recognition speed of a USB storage device may depend on each device.
??Please do not turn off the TV or unplug the USB device when the connected USB storage device is working.
When such device is suddenly separated or unplugged, the stored files or the USB storage device may be
damaged.
??Please do not connect the USB storage device which was artificially maneuvered on the PC. The device may
cause the product to malfunction or fail to be played. Never forget to use only a USB storage device which has
normal music files or image files.
??Please use only a USB storage device which was formatted as a FAT16, FAT32, NTFS file system provided
with the Windows operating system. In case of a storage device formatted as a different utility programme
which is not supported by Windows, it may not be recognized.
Data in a USB storage device cannot be deleted in the NTFS file system.
??Please connect power to a USB storage device which requires an external power supply. If not, the device may
not be recognized.
??Please connect a USB storage device with cable is offered by USB maker. If connected with cable is not offered
by USB maker or an excessively long cable, the device may not be recognized.
??Some USB storage devices may not be supported or operated smoothly.
??Maximum of 999 files and folders can be recognized.
??Data in a USB storage device cannot be aligned.
??Up to 128 English characters can be recognized as a file name.
??Please back up the important file because a data of USB device may be damaged. Data management is consumer's
responsibility and in consequence the manufactures does not cover the product bearing data damage.
??If the USB is connected in Standby Mode, specific hard disk will automatically be loaded when the TV is turned
on.
??The recommended capacity is 1 TB or less for a USB external hard disk and 32 GB or less for USB memory.
??TV need more time to detect if the storage size is bigger. If the USB memory is connected in Standby Mode,
power on time would be longer than without memory.
??Any device with more than the recommended capacity may not work properly.
??If a USB external hard disk with a "Energy Saving" function does not work, turn the hard disk off and on again
to make it work properly.

Hi all,
Please verify while 50PK550 can read an external HDD via USB. It does not upscale any SD DVD videos. Though I tried changing the settings on my plasma like 16:9 or zoom or cinema zoom it does not help. But it is very well upscaling anything given on HDMI or component inputs fed by my standard DVD player. Waiting to buy Xstreamer Pro locally this month end.

Hi All,

As far as I know there are 2 models launched in India by LG for 2010.

1. 50PJ350R - HD ready
2. 50PK550R - Full HD

Well a sticker on my Plasma 50PK550R does mention a big Full HD logo.

Will test it once I buy my xstreamer pro this month end

Internationally (see the LG USA website us.lge.com), all the PK series plasmas are full HD - PK550, PK650, PK750, PK950. I think the PK 750 and PK 950 are part of the Infinia range. The difference is only in the features, and a bit on the design etc. The resolution is the same - full HD 1920x1080p.

---Venkat

Your TV is Full HD but your 550R will play only SD content from the USB unless you add some external player to play HD. Models 750 and 950 can play HD from USB.

I am waiting for PK750. Hope the price is competitive as 550.

Sid.

For what it is worth, LG Plasma's are terrific VFM's.
I bought one last year 42PQ60. I agree, the black levels are not as crisp as it should. But there is one thing, Plasma's kicks a $ $, and that is contrast ratio!
Put the TV in "Vivid" or some high Contrast settings ( > 80-90), and watch something transition from dark to bright, in a dimly lit room, and watch your eyes beg for mercy :p. BTW, do this only for demoing plasma prowess. DONOT watch it this way, or else u will not be watching transformers 3 ;)

Most of the time, we are more sensitive to the on-screen contrast, than we are to the black levels. However, the weak black levels of LG 2009 Plasma is apparent in dimly lit scenes. There is remedy to "Alleviate" the problem, there is a setting called "Black Level" which can be set to "Low" for darker blacks.

Can any of the owners comment on this TV's reflection? Is it a problem in moderately lit rooms at daytime?
Also, what would be the approx power consumption? Does it have a 5A plug or 15A plug?

Your TV is Full HD but your 550R will play only SD content from the USB unless you add some external player to play HD. Models 750 and 950 can play HD from USB.

I am waiting for PK750. Hope the price is competitive as 550.

Sid.

Sid,

The USB functionality is not of much use if you're gonna use a HD media player thru HDMI like the WDTV Live. I use the WDTV Gen 1 player and hardly use the USB function on my LG 42PQ70 plasma. Another thing is, internationally the PK750 and PK950 don't have good reviews. Only the PK550 has good reviews. So you may want to have this in mind while considering PK750 and PK950. These 2 models will also be much more expensive. The PK950 might touch 100k in price.

For what it is worth, LG Plasma's are terrific VFM's. I bought one last year 42PQ60. I agree, the black levels are not as crisp as it should. But there is one thing, Plasma's kicks a $ $, and that is contrast ratio! Put the TV in "Vivid" or some high Contrast settings ( > 80-90), and watch something transition from dark to bright, in a dimly lit room, and watch your eyes beg for mercy :p. BTW, do this only for demoing plasma prowess. DONOT watch it this way, or else u will not be watching transformers 3 ;)

Most of the time, we are more sensitive to the on-screen contrast, than we are to the black levels. However, the weak black levels of LG 2009 Plasma is apparent in dimly lit scenes. There is remedy to "Alleviate" the problem, there is a setting called "Black Level" which can be set to "Low" for darker blacks.

Very true. I am quite happy with my 42PQ70 plasma and I do agree the black levels could have been better. Only in very dark scenes, this is a problem. Not otherwise. I have never fiddled with the Black Level or Gamma settings till now. Maybe I will try making adjustments to see what differences come up.

Can any of the owners comment on this TV's reflection? Is it a problem in moderately lit rooms at daytime?
Also, what would be the approx power consumption? Does it have a 5A plug or 15A plug?

2009 LG plasmas do reflect quite a bit. If there is a window directly opposite the tv, in daytime, reflection is bad. However I have put up dark curtains at the arch door opposite the tv in my parents' place and it's ok. Watching a bit from the sides (at maybe 25-30 degrees angle) improves the viewing experience even more. During evenings and nights, it's not a problem.

---Venkat

Just wanted to share , booked the LG 50PK550 today. Should get the delivery tomm evening or Friday morning.

Thanks all for the feedbacks and comments.

Got it from Pai Showroom Indiranagar- bangalore for 61990/ as part of the 5 people package :)
The manager is Paras Jain - 98807 15681. He was quite helpful thru the dealing.

Last edited:
Sorry for repeating, but would love to hear from folks who've placed this tv at their home, how big is reflection as an issue, if you drape your windows?
I guess that's the only thing holding me back right now.

Hi Venkat,

I was making the same point. If you have an external player then no problem. People who only have a external HDD without the player will only have the option to play SD content. Also I think the option of wireless streaming is not available in 550. It is available in 750 as an option and built-in 950. If the price of 50" 750 lets say is in the range of 72 to 78 then it seems to be a good option with these functionality. I think adding up a external player, an wifi device with PK550 will take my total budget to some where in the range mentioned above so why not buy a 750 if it has all the above features and the cost is the same.

If PK750 is costing more, then it makes sense buying 550. PK750 is releasing this month end. I think its good to wait till 750 releases and then go for the appropriate.

Sid.

Also PK750 is Infinia Series

Hmm what you say is true, but a separate HD media player like the WDTV is always far more flexible with more features compared to the built-in USB HD functionality in the TV. So you would still be better off playing all your HD content using an external player.

Anyway no harm in waiting for the PK750 and checking it out. If not for anything, we can at least compare it with the PK550 and see how much more it offers for the extra cost.

Let us wait and see! :)

---Venkat

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back