Bought home a LG 50PK550 PLASMA

scarlet

Hi guys

landed the LG PK550 50" plasma on saturday
set it up with contrast and brightness at 50
waitign for 100 hr run in to finish to increase both

this was a box piece , i took the demo at 50% bright and cont and also at 80 each and at the 80 level it was even better than the LCD on display

the colours are so true to life on this TV
and viewing has been a pleasure

thanks to all those and the experts who helped me on my other thread to decide for a PLASMA

will keep updating my experince as it goes

NEXT UP -- A HT and wodden flooring for the room to complete the entertainment room

Hi guys

landed the LG PK550 50" plasma on saturday
set it up with contrast and brightness at 50
waitign for 100 hr run in to finish to increase both

this was a box piece , i took the demo at 50% bright and cont and also at 80 each and at the 80 level it was even better than the LCD on display

the colours are so true to life on this TV
and viewing has been a pleasure

thanks to all those and the experts who helped me on my other thread to decide for a PLASMA

will keep updating my experince as it goes

NEXT UP -- A HT and wodden flooring for the room to complete the entertainment room

Congrats.. Whats the final price?
Did you compare it with samsung's C series? Any comments?

congrats scarlet.. you are the first one in the forum to get 2010 model plasma..
do share a detailed review..it will help others decide..

thanks guys

will post a review after the run in when the settings levels can be incressed

i did compare with a C series samsung but found no major difference in it when they played the nornmal cable input and the HD input also

the motion and color on the LG was smoother i felt at same setting levels

the LG is a stunner with just 1/2 inch frame , its simply huge

Congratulations on your purchase.

Can you please provide us the information on the price and the dealer from whom bought this?

Wow congrats on that new 50 inch LG plasma! I have been quite a fan of plasmas and ever since my parents' Thomson 29 inch CRT TV started showing signs of conking out and we replaced it with a 42 inch LG PQ70 plasma last July (for 45k), I have been quite a fan of LG plasmas.

The PQ70 is the frameless model with USB, DivX, bluetooth and 3 HDMI ports. However like Blasto mentioned, none of the picture settings can be adjusted when the USB mode is used. This is a bit of a bummer, but the USB is rarely used. I only use this to check if the file plays, like when I freshly encode something to XVid or DivX format.

We've been pretty happy with the picture quality so far, there is some temporary IR sometimes, which I get rid of by using the White Wash and Colour Wash settings in the menu, and by playing full widescreen content like Full HD Demo clips from various consumer electronics brands like LG, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba (got a folder full of these, totalling 40GB !!). I also play IMAX titles which are 1.78:1 ratio and fill up the entire screen. My movie collection is mainly English, Tamil and Hindi blu ray rips (720p mostly while some are 1080p) played thru the WDTV HD Media Player thru HDMI and optical out to my Sony HTIB receiver. I have the 2003 model DDW 840 (600W RMS with powered subwoofer). DVD Player is also connected thru HDMI and coaxial out and is a Philips (forgot the model - got it along with the LG 42PQ70).

By and large we are happy with the picture quality of this LG plasma though sometimes I do feel the black levels could be better. Colours are beautiful though. The full HD demos really look fabulous.

My wife and I moved to a new apartment last June and plan to get a 50 inch plasma for our large hall, with a proper HT system (maybe with floorstanders and bipolar surrounds). We have been talking only about the 50PQ70 from LG.

So, the LG 50PK550 is good news!!

Is this a full HD model (ie 1920x1080) or a HD Ready one? The 42PQ70 has a resolution of 1024x768 while the 50PQ70 has a resolution of 1365x768, meaning both are 720p.

Please do let us know the other features the 50PK550 has, like no. of HDMI ports, USB slot, Divx capability, bluetooth etc apart from being a much slimmer plasma than ever before.

And the 69k price is fantastic, especially for a brand new 2010 release plasma like this one! Congrats once again and enjoy the plasma. Please do keep updating this thread!

Warm regards,
Venkat

this is a wireless enabled bluetooth set , FULL HD , 3 HDMI ports , 1USB port

am still fiddling around with settings

am unable to find the pixel shifting option in this model -- can someone tell me , if it has this or not

Scarlet, nice to know this is a full HD plasma with bluetooth, USB etc. So basically an improvement on the PQ70 series but much slimmer and sleeker looking with perhaps some more improvement in the picture quality.

As for pixel shifting, the feature should surely be there. Press the Menu button on the remote, select Option(s), and see if you have something like "ISM Mode". If it's there, then this is the one. Select that and you should have options like Normal, Orbiter, White Wash and Colour Wash. This is how it is on the PQ70 model.

Hope that helps.

Let us know how the picture looks when you play back blu ray rips (both 720p and 1080p) and of course the good old SD DTH content which is mostly 4:3 ratio.

---Venkat

thanks guys

will post a review after the run in when the settings levels can be incressed

i did compare with a C series samsung but found no major difference in it when they played the nornmal cable input and the HD input also

the motion and color on the LG was smoother i felt at same setting leves ls

the LG is a stunner with just 1/2 inch frame , its simply huge

Wow congratts.....LG is truly getting better day by day and its consumer hold is getting bigger n bigger as well. Gone are the days whrn "SONY" was the best. Happy for your purchase........whats the price you got his one for and where are the Pics man share some pics of the plasma!!.... :)

^^ Damm thats a rocking price for a FULL HD Plasma that to 50"....... and the product is rocking as well, read few reviews online for this one which are pretty good......

Here is a pretty decent comparision between LG PK550 and Panasonic 50G25 given by Chad B a reputated member of AVS and known for his reviews.....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=18358288&postcount=88

Last edited:
Congrats Scarlet.

I had a look today at 60" LG PK550. Very nice looking TV and PQ was also good. I was interested in a 50" model but the dealer didn't have a 50" for demo or in stock. He was estimating the price of 50" to be 70K+. But I now know it to be less than 70K (courtsey Scarlet). I intend buying a 50" in a week's time when the model is available in NCR (Noida/Greater Noida).

Wow congratts.....LG is truly getting better day by day and its consumer hold is getting bigger n bigger as well. Gone are the days whrn "SONY" was the best. Happy for your purchase........whats the price you got his one for and where are the Pics man share some pics of the plasma!!.... :)

+1. Appreciate some pics. :)

Hey vchounal, how much is the 60"? Just wanna know. I'm now seriously thinking of changing my TV, 50" with FullHD is something I've been dreaming about for last few months.

Hey vchounal, how much is the 60"? Just wanna know. I'm now seriously thinking of changing my TV, 50" with FullHD is something I've been dreaming about for last few months.

The salesman mentioned about 150K but he didn't seem very sure of the price as he did not have confirmed prices for PK550 Plasma TVs. Must say, the 60" TV look very tempting.

Park your DVD sale then till the TV arrives at your home.. ;)
Demo the C550 plasma alongside the PK550 before jumping in.. Both should be ~70k give or take 1000/-

Good luck. :)

I think 50" Full HD Plasma for under 70K is too good, considering that I got mine 47" for 72..........KonfuSed you can seriously think over this.....

BTW is Panasonic 50G25 available???

Nope. The Panny G25 plasmas aren't available yet and not updated on the Panny Indian website either. As a matter of fact, even the LG India website is not fully updated with the latest series of plasmas. Only the PJ 560 series is shown. The PK 550 and others have not yet been updated.

In some markets the PK 500 series have built in HD Freeview tuners but I guess India is a market which gets the model without this feature. Still, the PK 500 series plasmas look smashing. Razor thin!!

If you check out the gallery at any of the LG websites, the side view is the most shocking - the entire panel which contains the side sockets (USB, HDMI, AV In etc) is thicker than the plasma tv itself!! This side connector panel is actually jutting out. Unbelievably thin :)

Do you guys still think plasmas have burn in problem. Would you still recommend LCDs over plasmas in regards to PC connectivity? Actually do you think it would be ever possible to connect PCs to Plasmas?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back