Bought home a LG 50PK550 PLASMA

Hi Srinivas

Most of the latest plasmas do not have the IR problem, though there may be a little in some models. Nothing permanent though, if you know how to handle the issue. My LG 42PQ70 does have some IR though it goes away when I use one of the anti-IR options in the plasma tv menu, like White Wash, Colour Wash, etc. Also whenever I notice any channel logo etc as a ghost image, I start playing full screen HD content (mostly full HD demo videos) which are of 1.78:1 ratio and hence fill up the entire screen. After a few minutes of this, the temporary IR goes away.

As for PC connectivity, it's been mentioned elsewhere in this thread (or perhaps another thread) that for more frequent PC use with the display, LCDs are recommended. However if it's gonna be for a short while or occasional usage with a PC, the plasmas are fine too.

Hope that helps.

Warm regards,
Venkat

Last edited:
The salesman mentioned about 150K but he didn't seem very sure of the price as he did not have confirmed prices for PK550 Plasma TVs. Must say, the 60" TV look very tempting.
150K is bit too high for my flailing financial condition (thanks to HFV;-) ), but darn it's tempting..

Park your DVD sale then till the TV arrives at your home.. ;)
Demo the C550 plasma alongside the PK550 before jumping in.. Both should be ~70k give or take 1000/-

Good luck. :)

Nope, not yet planning to pull the trigger. Will definitely check all the options when I'm ready. And knowing myself I probably will end up spending much more than I plan to. But yeah, this is getting tempting. Anyone wants an almost an year old Panny 42PV80D :eek:hyeah:

I think 50" Full HD Plasma for under 70K is too good, considering that I got mine 47" for 72..........KonfuSed you can seriously think over this.....

BTW is Panasonic 50G25 available???

Man, don't tempt me. I need to buy the speakers first before I upgrade my TV OR should I just buy the ... errr noooooooooo.. I'm so Konfused now ;-)

Panny new series is not available in India and knowing them it'll be only end of this year.

Have a look at the price of this model with 60 inch screen at Amazon - $1,606.22 or Rs. 72,986.63

Here in India we will have to pay almost the same amount to get a 50 inch once :mad::mad::mad:

Many Congrats, Scarlet, for your new TV. Look forward to a detailed review from you once you've played around with it a bit.

On the price front, I was offered the 50 PK550 at 66k (without any negotiations) in Bajaj Electronics, Punjagutta, Hyderabad this weekend. They didn't have it on display but said they could get it by Mon. Anyone looking for this set, do check out this store and bargain for perhaps a sub 65k price.

On a side note, they also had the Samsung C530 LCD (46" @ 79k) and C650 LCD (46" @ 92k) and the C7000 3D LED (46", didn't ask for the price). 3D demo was fine though there seemed to be some cross-talk.

Unbelievable prices in the US really. Even the top of the range LG 50PK950 Infinia plasma is only $1541 on Amazon. That's about 75k INR, for a top of the line fully loaded plasma!! We Indians are sadly being ripped off. Wonder when this would change!!

Wow LG 50PK550 for 66k at Bajaj Electronics Hyd - this is the lowest price for this model so far. Fantastic.

This shop undoubtedly gives the best price in town (probably state) for TVs. You can walk in, ask for price, negotiate for a few hundreds and take the TV home without worrying about if there is another shop giving a better price. It is that simple.

Many Congrats, Scarlet, for your new TV. Look forward to a detailed review from you once you've played around with it a bit.

On the price front, I was offered the 50 PK550 at 66k (without any negotiations) in Bajaj Electronics, Punjagutta, Hyderabad this weekend. They didn't have it on display but said they could get it by Mon. Anyone looking for this set, do check out this store and bargain for perhaps a sub 65k price.

On a side note, they also had the Samsung C530 LCD (46" @ 79k) and C650 LCD (46" @ 92k) and the C7000 3D LED (46", didn't ask for the price). 3D demo was fine though there seemed to be some cross-talk.

Did you find/enquire about the C550 plasma?

Did you find/enquire about the C550 plasma?

Did not ask about the C550 plasma. In retrospect, maybe I should've.

I'd actually gone there for checking out the 3D demo to see whether it's worth waiting for. Since I was there, i asked them about the new plasmas and LCDs as well and they showed me what they had.

One thing i missed out in my previous post was that one of the new LG HD Ready plasmas (PJ350, if i remember correctly) is quite low priced. I remember the sales guy mentioning 37k (for 42") or so as the price for it. There's another new LG plasma (i think PJ6xx) which is around 42-43k. If one is really looking to buy LG, I'd also suggest checking out the LG Shoppe in Jubilee Hills (on the road which connects Jubilee Checkpost to Banjara Hills Road No. 12). I've usually found the prices there to be slightly lower than Bajaj Electronics after negotiation.

On a personal note, I've pushed my purchase plans to next year. The 3D demo wasn't bad and I'd wait to see how it's adopted and much 3D content gets generated this year. Since I already have a ps3 (for 3d gaming once titles are released), i reckon it's worth the wait. Hoping for a Pana G30 with 3D capabilities and the black level problem fixed next year.

More good news.

Shops in kolkata are quoting 63.5k for 50" pk550 plasma.

Rajneesh

Is it Croma or LG showrooms? I am finding it difficult here in NCR to get a quote or availability date for LG 50PK550. Funny thing is, LG plant is located here in NCR (Greter Noida) itself where they must be manufacturing/assembling the TV.

Is it Croma or LG showrooms? I am finding it difficult here in NCR to get a quote or availability date for LG 50PK550. Funny thing is, LG plant is located here in NCR (Greter Noida) itself where they must be manufacturing/assembling the TV.

I think I saw it at Jumbo Ambience Mall.

This shop undoubtedly gives the best price in town (probably state) for TVs. You can walk in, ask for price, negotiate for a few hundreds and take the TV home without worrying about if there is another shop giving a better price. It is that simple.

Wish there was one such shop in Delhi

Can you please tell me how is the picture quality with SD content. I read in the AV forums that this set isn't great for SD content. How about with DTH?

Just curious, why is it so? Is the Sammy is many times better and in what aspects? Can someone please point to some reviews of the sammy or any comparo between these two models?

I remember reading somewhere that the black level of this model isn't as great as some of the better ones. Also, there's some apparent problem with playing Blu Rays at 1024p/24. Go for Samsung 50C550 Plasma. Better to shed a few thousand bucks more ( maybe around 6-7K) if you are getting better quality out of it.

P.S. I also remember reading that model is extremely inefficient in terms of power consumption. I think they were reviewing either this model or one of it's higher end models. Either way, it applies to this model too. If one of it's higher end models has these negative traits, I'm sure it'll be the same with this one, if not worse.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back