Bought home a LG 50PK550 PLASMA

Hi All,

I have booked an 50PJ350R HD ready Plasma from LGs 2010 lineup. Had seen an offer from LG on Akshay Thithi @57400 got 4Gram gold from Ezone the distributor. Net cost is now @50K . But not much info on LG India Website. I did get the spec from US/UK websites. All alike 50PK550 except full HD. Does it really matter to have full HD?? During demo they played the demo BD and its was all so brilliant. PLASMA rocks. Superior than any latest LCD.

Please do advice on HD ready & Full HD.

Thanks!

Have attached comparison chart.

Attachments

• PJ350&PK550 Compare.pdf
    44.4 KB · Views: 28
Have a look at the price of this model with 60 inch screen at Amazon - $1,606.22 or Rs. 72,986.63

Here in India we will have to pay almost the same amount to get a 50 inch once :mad::mad::mad:

We actually pay 8 times more than Americans because $1500 is like one-fourth their average monthly salary and 72k here is double the average monthly salary.

Finally managed to find LG 50PK550 Plasma with Croma at Greater Noida. Final prie is going to be 65K. I shall book the TV tomorrow and get the delivery on 26 May.

Hey congrats Vchounal. Great purchase decision! This model seems to be a really good one with nice reviews. Don't forget to post back with your initial experience, and pictures of the TV and menu options. Best of luck and enjoy your TV!

Hi All,

I have booked an 50PJ350R HD ready Plasma from LGs 2010 lineup. Had seen an offer from LG on Akshay Thithi @57400 got 4Gram gold from Ezone the distributor. Net cost is now @50K . But not much info on LG India Website. I did get the spec from US/UK websites. All alike 50PK550 except full HD. Does it really matter to have full HD?? During demo they played the demo BD and its was all so brilliant. PLASMA rocks. Superior than any latest LCD.

Please do advice on HD ready & Full HD.

Thanks!

Have attached comparison chart.

Hey BlackPearl,

PJ350? I thought only the PJ560 series is the lower end series, according to the LG India website. Even the PK550 is not mentioned on the website yet, but people are already buying these TVs with Croma being one of the main retailers across the country.

Anyway the PK550 is full HD and is available only in the 50 inch size. PJ350 as you said is a HD Ready model (maybe the panel resolution is 1365x768). This means the TV is still fully capable of playing SD and HD 720p material. And trust me (like most others would agree), 720p itself looks fabulous.

You really can't make out much difference between 720p and 1080p at a 42 inch size, and at the 50 inch size, you have to be less than 6 feet away from the tv to see any difference. Now I am sure, if we get a 50 inch TV, we'd sit at least 12-14 feet away (I have planned my seating position at 16-18 feet for our yet to be purchased 50 inch plasma). And at that distance, you would simply not be able to make out any difference between 720p and 1080p material.

Blu ray movies (discs), blu ray rips, etc look fabulous on a 720p panel, whether the source material is 720p or 1080p.

So don't get carried away by the Full HD mania - it's just a gimmick.

Check out this link for more info:

1080p Does Matter – Here's When (Screen Size vs. Viewing Distance vs. Resolution) | CarltonBale.com

Go ahead and pick up the LG 50PJ350 if you are happy with it. But the thing is, usually there is at least 10-20k difference between the HD ready and full HD models of the same brand, whereas here, between 50PJ350 and 50PK550, there seems to be a difference of only around 8k which is good. So the extra 8k here maybe worth it.

However SD content won't look very good on full HD panels in general, though some panels like Panasonics are good in this area.

Blasto, please give your inputs on this too.

Hope that helps!

---Venkat

Oh great. 60 inch size would be huge! However double the price of the 50 inch PK550 for just 10 inches more, is horrible value for money. On the other hand, when Panasonic 50V10 is being sold for 1.25L, the 60PK550 for 1.3L is superb value!

congrats Vchounal.
Some forums seems to be discussing a buzzing sound issue from the LG plasma. Is it there? Is it a real issue?

Thanks,
Manoj

I didn't hear any buzzing sound from LG plasma.

I think buzzing noise is an issue with some Samsung plasmas and not LG or Panasonic.

Booked a LG 50PK550 plasma today through Croma. The plasma will be delivered at home on Sunday. Price-65K.

Oh great. 60 inch size would be huge!
You bet!
I saw this thing and can bet no normal indians living in apartments have the guest room big enough to accomodate this thing!!
HUGE!

However double the price of the 50 inch PK550 for just 10 inches more, is horrible value for money.

Well, its not "just 10 inch"..
The area covered by the extra 10 inch is almost equal to the size of a 42" TV.
You do the math.

Visual TV Size Comparison : 42 inch 16x9 display vs 60 inch 16x9 display

However SD content won't look very good on full HD panels in general, though some panels like Panasonics are good in this area.

Blasto, please give your inputs on this too.

Generally yes.
But nowadays TV companies are begining to concentrate on 1080p upscaling algorithms rather than 720p upscaling. So the advantages is minimal.

Panasonic is not the company with best SD upscalers. Sony BE3 comes first closely followed by samsung. LG and Panasonic follow. Panasonic does direct HD material representation in TV pretty well.

Dear Scarlet,

Haven't received further feedback from you regarding the LG50PK550 bought by you recently. Will be great if you could share your experience with us on the forum.

By the way, I have also booked a 50PK550 which will be delivered on Sunday.

my experience with the LG plasma so far has been great
jus tmanaging 1-2hr daily viewing
100hrs looks a long while

do any of the experts over here know how to look up the usage hours in the PK550 series , kindly let us know

am waiting for 100hrs to be complete to change the settings and enjoy viewing

SD will always be SD content , whatever be the TV

50" is BIG and viewing movies adn sport is a real TREAT

Hey Scarlet

Nice to know that you are overall very happy with the 50PK550. It seems to be a fully loaded full HD plasma at a very nice price. Croma here in Chennai quoted me 69k on the phone, while my usual dealer (from whom I got the 42PQ70 last July) quoted me 64.8k, with room for a little more negotiation. I have posted the complete 2010 LG plasma price list from my dealer in the price thread under the Television section.

It would really help if you could post a bit more about the PK550:

* black levels in daytime and evenings
* colour reproduction
* how SD content like DVD looks on the full HD panel
* how 720p and 1080p content looks
* how DTH looks

Warm regards,
Venkat

Hi Venkat

The colour reporduction is really good
DVD on the full panel is stunning
i dont have DTH as yet to comment on that
Black levels are good i must say
720p and 1080p content looks great as well

Thanks Scarlet. That was really helpful. My wife and I are also considering this PK550 model for our hall. Being an existing 42PQ70 owner (installed at my parents' place) I was interested in getting some feedback on the PK550.

I guess then the 50PK550 for 64.8k is a no brainer!

The plan is to get the plasma wall mounted, get a WDTV Live HD Media Player and maybe a brand new HTIB for around 20-25k, which I can shift to the bedroom after 6 months or so when I will go in for a full blown HT with AVR, FS speakers etc for around 70k or so.

Did you try playing high resolution photos on the PK550? How do they look?

---Venkat

Hey Scarlet,

There is a USB slot in the PK550 right? Does it support playback of HD files? 720p/1080p MKVs, AVIs etc? This info would be useful when I take a demo of the model as I can then take some test clips with me.

---Venkat

Croma has offered me 2 years extended warranty (excluding 1 year by LG) on LG50PK550 for Rs 2750. Do you think I should g for it?

Croma has offered me 2 years extended warranty (excluding 1 year by LG) on LG50PK550 for Rs 2750. Do you think I should g for it?

that extended period is warranty or insurance?.. just check..

as long as you are handling your TV well, no need for insurance..
manufacturer warranty on the whole product should be always looked for..

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back