Bought home a LG 50PK550 PLASMA

Croma has offered me 2 years extended warranty (excluding 1 year by LG) on LG50PK550 for Rs 2750. Do you think I should g for it?

Please take the extended warranty without hesitation vchounal. INR 2750 is a low price for 2 years extended warranty.

When we got our 42PQ70 from our dealer here in Chennai, the LG guys who came for the demo 2 days later offered us a 3-year extended warranty for 6k and we took it. This warranty even covered damage from lightning. So we are pretty happy about it.

---Venkat

Croma has offered me 2 years extended warranty (excluding 1 year by LG) on LG50PK550 for Rs 2750. Do you think I should g for it?

waranty for 1 yr is around 7k fro the PK550 here in bangalore croma
2750 must be insurance i guess

kindly check before going for it

if its 2750 for waranty then go for it

Hi Scarlet,

Did you get an HDMI cable with the LG50PK550 or does one have to buy it seperately?

Hi Scarlet,
Can you please tell us if the LG set has the following features:

Real Black Filter
Cinema Smooth
Motion Judder Canceler

I am not sure what are these called in LG land as I have taken these from Samsung website.

Thanks.

I just checked with my dad and he has found the receipt for the extended warranty we took for the LG 42PQ70 last July.

It appears we have paid around 11k+ to LG directly for 3-year extended warranty, which even covers lightning damage. So basically we are covered under warranty until July 2013. This seems to be a more comprehensive one than Croma's.

---Venkat

Had a look at this set in Ezone Jayanagar, was quoted 68K Rs. None of the electronic shops in Jayanagar have this set. What surprised me was the LG Best shop did not have this and the salesmen in the shop are not even aware of the model.

I could not actually perform a proper audition for the set as i did not have my dvds. In the brief time i saw this set it did look good. 47 inches LG LH50 and 46 inches Samsung LED 7000 series are almost of the same size as this TV, this is because the difference in size of the Bezel. I was not thoroughly impressed with the bezel but it is better than other LGs. Samsung rocks in Looks, i don't think even Sony comes anywhere close to the looks of the Samsung TV. This is my personal perception.

The SD signal on the Samsung LED 7 series and this TV was same. They were playing Death proof on Star movies using Tata Sky. When you are extremely close to the plasma TV everything was blurred. Samsung was slightly better when you are close to the TV. From a distance of 10 Feet the picture improved. Samsung was still better but LG was not that Bad. One thing i noticed was the skin colours were more natural in the LG than the samsung. Samsung looked artificial. This is my personal opinion again.

Then i asked the guy to play some HD movie, he put in the Body of Lies blueray. With the blueray the picture just blew me out. It was amazing. For the cost of less than 70K it was too good. Picture was neat, colours were great and i did not see any judders in the movie. Unfortunately Samsung was not connected to the same signal. Therefore could not compare both of them.

One thing i noticed was that this set had a lot of reflections but with picture/signal on there was not much of an issue. My BPL 29 inches at home has more reflection than this TV. So not a major issue for me.

I could not find any calibration controls in the as mentioned in the US website. Probably had to spend more time to see if these controls were actually there. Salesman was not aware of these controls.

I think I will buy this TV. It is truly value of money and the reviews over the net are positive.

Anybody aware where i can get this set in bangalore in places other than croma and ezone. Devi International does not seem to have this TV. They don't know when they would get this.

Hi Srinivas

Yes; the PK550 does seem to be a nice model. Another member Scarlet was one of the 1st to buy this model and you can check for his feedback on the same. He seems to be pretty happy with the tv. I guess for the price it is fantastic value being full HD and fully loaded with USB HD playback, bluetooth and what not.

Another thing I wanted to mention was, you should be comparing plasmas with plasmas and not plasmas with LED/LCD TVs.

Colours generally turn out to be more natural looking on plasmas compared to LCDs and LEDs. Some high end LCDs and LEDs though can even beat the plasmas, at a very high cost of course.

My wife and I are also thinking of picking up the 50PK550 soon for our hall, already being an existing owner of an LG 42PQ70 (2009) plasma. Being just a 1024x768 panel, DVDs and 720p/1080p movies look amazing even on this HD ready panel.

If you shop around, you may be able to get a better price than 68k for the 50PK550. I got a quote of 64.8k from my usual dealer here in Chennai. Someone else on the forum has been able to pick up this model for 66k. So I am sure you can get the tv for less than 65k with a bit of effort. Best of luck!

---Venkat

Then i asked the guy to play some HD movie, he put in the Body of Lies blueray. With the blueray the picture just blew me out. It was amazing. For the cost of less than 70K it was too good. Picture was neat, colours were great and i did not see any judders in the movie. Unfortunately Samsung was not connected to the same signal. Therefore could not compare both of them.

I wish you could compare them side by side. I am really not able to make up mind between the two. Also, any idea about the power consumption of the LG set? LG has still not updated its Indian website with this model.

@ srinivas
am loving the experience so far

colours on the plasma are fantastic
watching discovery or NGC has never been better

sports -- its a whole new world on a 50 incher

@ srinivas

Can you please comment on the motion-related artifacts like judder, motion lag etc? Thanks!!

i have never faced any motion lag in viewing

judder also i havent faced so far

am hunting for what is the way to find out usage hours on this model

Venkat,

I am completely agree with you that you should not compare an LED with a plasma. But it is generally hard to find plasma's nowadays. Ezone does not have panosonic plamas, only plasma they had was LG. This model was right next to the Samsung 7000 LED, and therefore i had written about what i experienced.

@ srinivas

Hi scarlet, i saw this plasma @ croma today. as a design it's really attractive and possibly takes less wall space than some 47" designs. I am in the market for a 46"+ and this model is definitely now in my contention set.

However since my application will also include an HTPC, I am very concerned about IR. could you give me some idea of your experience on so far? has there been any image retention?

thanks

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back