Bought home a LG 50PK550 PLASMA

On the Samsung India website, they say that C550 plasma does not have these features. So I was wondering if LG had these or any equivalent things. These are basically to correct the blurriness caused by rapid motion in the display content.

If the reason why u are looking for these features is because u want to play games, then i have some bad news for you, the LG set is not good for gaming, here is a portion of a user review relating to gaming on Lg 50Pk550, and to be honest if you are looking to buy display with majority of the time being utilisied to play games then you should not be looking anywhere else than panasonic, cos simply u r not going to be happy with anything else be it samsung's new sets or old

5. Input lag: I thought the set would be useless for gaming ... in fact some casual single-player games are playable & enjoyable. Using PS3 via HDMI, TV on Game Mode with colour set to Standard and all image processing options off (edge enhancer, dynamic contrast etc).:
Heavy Rain slow-paced, no static images no problem.
Wipeout works fine, just feels like the ship has slightly looser handling. Total blast to play, Im getting close to some of my old time records despite the lag.
Arcade shooter types (Super Stardust, Crash Commando) are faintly weird as the lag is noticeable on movement and firing. Still playable though, I might get used to it though I kinda doubt it. Analog sticks mask some of the lag.
Jury is still out on Killzone, the game itself is so laggy it might be unplayable on this TV. The bots are slaughtering me. Hate to think what LittleBigPlanet would be like, that jump button was horribly laggy even on my old 1080i CRT.

For those who play them I would imagine that competitive multiplayer games (e.g. hardcore fighters using the buttons) wouldnt be workable on this TV.

I think you do not know what information you are looking for yourself first!!

"Cinema smooth" and "Judder canceller" are marketing terms used by samsung for just saying that they have 24p movie playback in place.

Your question should be, "Is the Tv capable of 24p movie playback and how good is it"?

Having few features missed out in the brochure is not a bad thing and most of all seeing the brochure for features marked as "No" and finding a TV which has "Yes" for those is not the right way of buying a TV.

If you purely want 24p playback, you first should have a player which is capable of outputting 24p movie and a TV to couple with it which can take in 24p signal. If you don't want this feature or can live with small artifacts like motion judder caused as a result of it, you can ignore this feature itself.

If you want to know more about 24p playback and to find if it is relevent to you, click, What is the significance of 24p playback on blu ray?? - Blu-ray Forum

Hope it helps.

No they are not. Plasmas as a whole are well equiped to handle motion.

Thanks Blasto. I just went through the Samsung C550 specs again and there is no mention of 24p playback anywhere.

How about the menu/CMS system? Is it neutered like the India-spec LH90, or are the full ISF modes available?

whats the best price anybody has been able to get this TV for in bangalore? Is it avaliable in stores other than croma, ezone and reliance digital?

@vchounal:
Did you check the power consumption for it? Thanks!!

There is no mention of Power Consumption at the back of TV except that it says 110/240V, 50/60Hz and 1.5A. I therefore deduct that it consumes 240X1.5 = 360VA which should be around 350W.

If the reason why u are looking for these features is because u want to play games, then i have some bad news for you, the LG set is not good for gaming ......

The LG50PK55 has been installed today afternoon. My son, who was till now playing PS3 games on a CRT, couldn't believe the full HD display on this set. I asked him to check out if there is any blurriness due to motion or any time lag. His answer was an emphatic 'no' but it is eqarly days and I will keep you posted if I find any such issues.

I want to present correct report about the TV on the forum and not have a false sense of loyalty (only praise it and not disclose any shortcomings) to the brand/TV.

The LG50PK55 has been installed today afternoon. My son, who was till now playing PS3 games on a CRT, couldn't believe the full HD display on this set. I asked him to check out if there is any blurriness due to motion or any time lag. His answer was an emphatic 'no' but it is eqarly days and I will keep you posted if I find any such issues.

I want to present correct report about the TV on the forum and not have a false sense of loyalty (only praise it and not disclose any shortcomings) to the brand/TV.

How do you personally like the PS3 graphics over your new set? Are they stunning?

Wow PS3 on the first day. You should be careful for the first one month. Being LG, I will be more sceptic. Report about any IR when you switch off the lights and TV tonight.

Last edited:
Hey Blasto, Bublu and other gurus ;)

It maybe a good idea to provide the things vchounal could take care in the first few days (of course, he can get them by searching here)

Here are somethings from the top of my mind -

• Give about 200 hrs of break in time
  • Do not keep a static image on screen for more than 20-25 mins (for example, the channel logo)
  • While watching movies, use the zoom feature so that the 'cinemascope' type black bars at the top and bottom are removed (they can cause burn in)
  • Keep the brightness and contrast at 50% or thereabouts (high contrast or brightness can 'flash' the TV)
  • Don't be alarmed if you feel that the TV screen is hot. It is expected in the beginning

TIR can be minimized by taking these simple precautions.

Gurus, please add...

:cheers:

edit: PS: I am following the same for my LG 50PQ30 installed 2 days ago.

Hey Blasto, Bublu and other gurus ;)

It maybe a good idea to provide the things vchounal could take care in the first few days (of course, he can get them by searching here)

Here are somethings from the top of my mind -

• Give about 200 hrs of break in time
  • Do not keep a static image on screen for more than 20-25 mins (for example, the channel logo)
  • While watching movies, use the zoom feature so that the 'cinemascope' type black bars at the top and bottom are removed (they can cause burn in)
  • Keep the brightness and contrast at 50% or thereabouts (high contrast or brightness can 'flash' the TV)
  • Don't be alarmed if you feel that the TV screen is hot. It is expected in the beginning

TIR can be minimized by taking these simple precautions.

Gurus, please add...

:cheers:

edit: PS: I am following the same for my LG 50PQ30 installed 2 days ago.

For LG PQ series specifically, Contrast can go upto 60. This is what is equivalent to samsung/panasonic's 50. It is non linear in LG if you check.

Dont pause the movie/game and go for dinner for the first 30 days. You will see the same scene after the dinner too.. :eek:hyeah:

I have read these things so often but I am still not sure of the time it takes for burn/ IR. Some forums mention that a burn in wont happen even if you leave the same image for like 5 hours. It will be IR only.
I have been careful till now and have put the contrast and brightness to very less and color slightly more than 50%, though the manual never mentioned anything about this. I have done about 85 hours.

Wow PS3 on the first day. You should be careful for the first one month. Being LG, I will be more sceptic. Report about any IR when you switch off the lights and TV tonight.

I have tried PS3 for a very limited period today - not even half an hour. I have already reduced the contrast, brightness etc to 50%. We are watching cable TV right now and trying to avoid static image (channel logo etc).

Must say, SD content looks very average after watching the stunning visuals of PS3. The video quality of cable TV looks similar to Panasonic TV in my relative's house.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back