Bought home a LG 50PK550 PLASMA

Blasto,

For all you know, the LGs' IR thing might have improved in this year's models. Or are you saying keep away in general from plasmas for gaming and HTPC use? It wasn't clear from your message.

Maybe after the initial 100-200 hours of careful viewing, gaming would be alright. What do you think?

The new 2010 range of LG plasmas need to be checked for IR. I might have a demo of the 42PJ350 tomorrow. In case I do, I shall post back on this thread for sure.

---Venkat

Blasto,

For all you know, the LGs' IR thing might have improved in this year's models. Or are you saying keep away in general from plasmas for gaming and HTPC use? It wasn't clear from your message.

Maybe after the initial 100-200 hours of careful viewing, gaming would be alright. What do you think?

The new 2010 range of LG plasmas need to be checked for IR. I might have a demo of the 42PJ350 tomorrow. In case I do, I shall post back on this thread for sure.

---Venkat

Not LG in particular but plasmas in general.
And within plasmas LG comes last when it comes to IR handling. (only heuristics from 2009 models)

Gaming is ok but much PC use is bound to burn the plasma sooner or later.

Oops, is LG that bad for gaming vis-a-vis image retention? I used the panny quite a lot for gaming. Mostly for 2-3 hours and a few time even for 7-8 hours continuous(well, UC2 was too good to leave in between;-) ) and not a hint of any kind of IR. I was worried initially but now I'm much more relaxed person after seeing the ground reality. But if LG have issues with IR then I think I should cling on to my Panny as of now.

Oops, is LG that bad for gaming vis-a-vis image retention? I used the panny quite a lot for gaming. Mostly for 2-3 hours and a few time even for 7-8 hours continuous(well, UC2 was too good to leave in between;-) ) and not a hint of any kind of IR. I was worried initially but now I'm much more relaxed person after seeing the ground reality. But if LG have issues with IR then I think I should cling on to my Panny as of now.

If you are asking about 2009 plasmas, yes, it is THAT bad. No second opinions about it. Don't know about the 2010 models.

Hi Scarlet / Venkat / Sreeniva / other active members,

Today i went to buy a 46" LCD , but was impressed with LG 50PK550 display in ezone bangalore , and finally booked one for better price in other shop .

there is one confusion , from the begining i was keen on INTERNET FEATURE (LAN FEATURE) , when i was checking the reviews of 50PK550 i was able to find one more model 50PK750 which has wireless internet option (YOUTUBE,PICASA,FACEBOOK)

Can anybody suggest me ............should i go for LG 50PK550 or do i have to wait for LG 50PK750????

also how far this INTERNET FEATURE works in India ???

Thanks everyone in advance ..........eagerly waiting for reply
Regards
Santosh

LG PK750 and PK950 have terrible IR issues. It has been noted on all review sites. In fact IR is the only reason why LG has lost all the PQ brownie points. Else they say PQ is one of the better if not the best.

I am very keen on a PK550. I saw it in couple of stores and still bragaining for < 65K. Today I'll call my dealer who supplied me with a Sony 32" at 10K lesser than usual discounted price. Fingers crossed.

BLASTO, do you know of any IR issues on PK550?

Okay as far as the reflection issue was concerned, i think one can judge it himself from the following video, notice the amount of light entering in the room from the left side
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpMnyCX-Wyw

Also one can read the detailed review on this set which covers quite a lot of things related to this set

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18358288#post18358288

Here is another user review that i found informative, posted by teazle on blu-ray forums

Received the set Thursday. Not doing any formal break-in, just restricting viewing to 16x9 for the first 100 hrs. Comments so far:

1. No buzzing: With ear next to front glass no audible buzz good!

2. Black levels: prob. too light for dark room viewing IMHO. In the dark the black bars glow too much and shadows/dark areas in the picture dont look quite right.
BUT after some fiddling I find the bias light trick DOES work for this TV in a light-controlled room. And works really really well! Bought a 24 strip fixture and a 20W flourescent bulb, 6500K (GE Daylight T8), mounted it between the back of the set and the wall (allowed a 4 gap for this). This allowed me to bump up the contrast (to 63/100) -- much higher than I could tolerate in a completely dark room -- and ... WOW! Incredibly clean, intensely bright whites, just unbelievable range. Perceived blacks are now nice and deep too.
Reminds me of my old bias-lit 1080i CRT. On CRT you just couldnt get a good picture in the dark by the time the contrast was turned down enough so it didnt burn out your eyes, the picture looked weak and lousy (and besides, the black bars would glow in the dark). CRT really needed some oomph with the contrast dial to look right. This LG plasma seems to work in a similar way. Forget dark room viewing which forces you to choke back the contrast, I say put a little light in the room, let rip with the contrast and THEN you get good PQ!

NB: in my experience this doesnt work for all sets on some TVs the black levels are so high and overall contrast so low that a bias light doesnt really help. My LCDs are like this & I notice people are saying the same thing about some of the 09 Panasonics post-rise. But the 50PK550 is very contrasty much contrastier than I expected. The whites look really bright and brilliant. And it does go dark enough for the bias light to improve the perceived black level significantly.

3. 72Hz is simply awesome. Essential feature for Blu-ray movie fiends.

4. She runs a bit hot.

5. Input lag: I thought the set would be useless for gaming ... in fact some casual single-player games are playable & enjoyable. Using PS3 via HDMI, TV on Game Mode with colour set to Standard and all image processing options off (edge enhancer, dynamic contrast etc).:
Heavy Rain slow-paced, no static images no problem.
Wipeout works fine, just feels like the ship has slightly looser handling. Total blast to play, Im getting close to some of my old time records despite the lag.
Arcade shooter types (Super Stardust, Crash Commando) are faintly weird as the lag is noticeable on movement and firing. Still playable though, I might get used to it though I kinda doubt it. Analog sticks mask some of the lag.
Jury is still out on Killzone, the game itself is so laggy it might be unplayable on this TV. The bots are slaughtering me. Hate to think what LittleBigPlanet would be like, that jump button was horribly laggy even on my old 1080i CRT.

For those who play them I would imagine that competitive multiplayer games (e.g. hardcore fighters using the buttons) wouldnt be workable on this TV.

6. Lots temporary IR, but this is the break-in period and should improve over time.

7. Phosphor trails: finally saw one on Sin City, a thin yellowish fringe on one side of Mickey Rourkes head as he quickly moved across the screen. Effect was very slight. Only time Ive been able to detect phosphor trails so far.

8. Motion res: not perfect, can see some slight blur here and there. Motion isnt as fluid as my old 1080i CRT but way better than LCD. Acceptable overall; the occasional slight blur isnt horrendously obtrusive (unlike LCD).

9. Horizontal line bleed: my set has it a bit, though not as bad as in the photos by Dumon or DocuMakers photos of Samsungs (in his horiz. bleed thread). No big deal, a slight effect in the menus, almost never see it during a movie.

10. ABL: I first noticed it testing the PS3 web browser. When you zoom a web page (text on white) the screen dims a bit as the image goes mostly white. However I would not exactly describe the white screen as grey or dirty white, to me it just looks dimmer rather than grayer. All the same I can imagine some people not liking it and expecting the white screen to be full-on blazing like hi-beams. I think itd be too hard to watch. (BTW this TV stinks for web browsing, can see 60Hz flicker with white background.)

11. Dithering noise: Not a problem IMHO. Sitting 68 back from 50 screen thats a bit closer than 3 picture heights cant see the dithering noise. Any closer though and it does start to crop up.

12. (I need to check into this more) Using only 8-bit sources (CATV and BD) I think Im not seeing as much colour banding as I used to on CRT and LCD (8-bit panel). Is this TVs panel 10-bit or higher and is it upsampling the chroma? I cant tell, its just that the banding isnt jumping out at me as much. Processing is for > 8-bit colour (Wide colour gamut option in menu) but does the panel itself support it?

13. Amateur overall assessment: Im floored but I wont gush too much b/c it might just be the novelty of plasma talking. Maybe people whove watched lots of Pioneer would be ho-hum on this set. Not me, I love this thing!

14. Conclusion: Insanely good entry-level plasma for a first-time plasma buyer like myself. Cheapest plasma on the market with the essential features for film buffs: 1080p, 24p support for Blu-ray, nice 50 size big enough to see every pixel at cozy distance. CMS! (See Chad Bs professional review.) Due to drawbacks of input lag and imperfect motion res, better for movies than for heavy gaming / sports viewing. Recommend light-controlled room to manage reflections & glare (screen is shiny) and optimize PQ with bias light.
With better PQ than I expected, this TV will easily last me through CES 2012 when Ill start drooling over something really big (>60 will be cheaper), really dark (0 luminance in 12????) & with third-gen 3D (144Hz???).

Never going back to LCD!

Last edited:
after reading all the reviews available i can say that the Display is an ultimate steal for 65k, but it's not for gamers, i think people buying a TV for mostly gaming are going to be disappointed with it, i have also seen some more videos on youtube relating to issues like edge flickering when playing games on this set, but for watching movies and regular Viewing i think this is right here at the top.

Last edited:
66k was the price quoted by ezone, ashok pillar, bangalore for LG 50pk550 yesterday. The TV was connected to an external hard disk and it was playing some clippings of foot ball and the quality of the recording was poor, in turn the PQ was not up to the mark. When I requested them to connect it to a blu ray player they could not do so. They told me at the time of billing decent discount will be given.

pai quoted 61.5 K for pk550 , and they said delivery will take two days. girias quoted 64k. They said it will take more than one week to get them. It indicates that lot of leg room is available for negotiation for this model.

I went to panny brand shop at dickenson road to see the U series of Panny. 50 inches full HD the price quoted was 92 k after negotiation and the quality was stunning. Another model of 50 inches HD ready, the price quoted was 70 K.

None of the shops had in display samsung 50c550. Yesterday I visited more than 10 shops since I have decided to go for a 50 or 42 inch tv at the earliest.

which one to go for, I am confused.

which one to go for depends on the person's needs and what he is going to watch on it, if it's movies and regular TV viewing with an occasional gaming, then LG 50Pk550 is the set for you, nothing beats it in value for money, not even panny and sammy, if u r a hardcore gamer only panny for you, forget about sammy and LG, whereas for movies and regular Tv viewing at a slightly better quality than LG than be ready to shell a few more than LG and get sammy C550 although good value for money but not the best value for money.

LG50PK550 has been delivered a while back. LG technician is likely to come and install tomorrow.

The plasma looks very sleek. As per the manual, it is only 55mm deep.

The manual does not mention power consumption which is kind of strange.

The set provides for change of colour, contrast, brightness and other settings while playing video through USB.

This is what the manual says about IR: -

Image Sticking Minimization (ISM) Method

A frozen or still picture from a PC/Video game displayed on the screen for prolonged periods will result in a ghost image remaining even when you change the image. Avoid allowing a fixed image to remain on the screen for prolonged periods.

NormalIf image sticking is never a problem, ISM is not necessary - set to Normal.

Orbiter
Orbiter may help prevent ghost images. However, it is best not to allow any fixed image to remain on the screen. To avoid a permanent image on the screen, the screen will move every 2 minutes.

Colour Wash
The colour block with the screen moved a little and the white pattern are alternately displayed. It is difficult to sense the afterimage occurred while the temporary afterimage is removed and the colour pattern is operating.

White Wash
White wash removes permanent images from the screen.
Note: An excessive permanent image may be impossible to clear entirely with White Wash.

my 42 inch plasma came with no such instructions. Neither have they mentioned anything like pixel shifting or other measures for preventing burn in.

LG50PK550 has been delivered a while back. LG technician is likely to come and install tomorrow.

The plasma looks very sleek. As per the manual, it is only 55mm deep.

The manual does not mention power consumption which is kind of strange.

The set provides for change of colour, contrast, brightness and other settings while playing video through USB.

This is what the manual says about IR: -

Can you please see if there is anything in the manual about motion lag, judder cancellation etc? Thanks!!

Can you please see if there is anything in the manual about motion lag, judder cancellation etc? Thanks!!

Couldn't find motion lag or judder cancellation in the manual. Shall check from technician tomorrow when he comes for installation.

Can you please intimate your exact query so that I can ask the same from the technician?

The power consumption is mentioned at the back of the TV set. Since generally the manual is common to a TV family, they don't mention the power consumption in the manual.

You are right. The manual covers PJ2, PJ3, PJ5, PJ6 and PK5 series of plasmas. I will check the power consumption at the back of TV when it is being installed tomorrow.

Couldn't find motion lag or judder cancellation in the manual. Shall check from technician tomorrow when he comes for installation.

Can you please intimate your exact query so that I can ask the same from the technician?

On the Samsung India website, they say that C550 plasma does not have these features. So I was wondering if LG had these or any equivalent things. These are basically to correct the blurriness caused by rapid motion in the display content.

we have to buy the HDMI cables seperately
see if u can strike a deal for the same along with the TV

Thanks Scarlet. How much did you pay for HDMI cable?

I suppose one doesn't have to pay for the wall mounting bracket.

On the Samsung India website, they say that C550 plasma does not have these features. So I was wondering if LG had these or any equivalent things.

I think you do not know what information you are looking for yourself first!!

"Cinema smooth" and "Judder canceller" are marketing terms used by samsung for just saying that they have 24p movie playback in place.

Your question should be, "Is the Tv capable of 24p movie playback and how good is it"?

Having few features missed out in the brochure is not a bad thing and most of all seeing the brochure for features marked as "No" and finding a TV which has "Yes" for those is not the right way of buying a TV.

If you purely want 24p playback, you first should have a player which is capable of outputting 24p movie and a TV to couple with it which can take in 24p signal. If you don't want this feature or can live with small artifacts like motion judder caused as a result of it, you can ignore this feature itself.

If you want to know more about 24p playback and to find if it is relevent to you, click, What is the significance of 24p playback on blu ray?? - Blu-ray Forum

Hope it helps.

These are basically to correct the blurriness caused by rapid motion in the display content.

No they are not. Plasmas as a whole are well equiped to handle motion.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back