Bought new LG 42 PJ650 , help needed regarding break-in precautions !

prabhu.camry

Hi guys ,
I bought an LG 42 PJ650 today from e zone ,can you guys tell me what are the precautions to be taken before the 100 hour break in period ?

Thank you !

Hi guys ,
I bought an LG 42 PJ650 today from e zone ,can you guys tell me what are the precautions to be taken before the 100 hour break in period ?

Congrats!

What price and which e-zone?

Break-in instructions are simple.
1) It takes 100-200 hours for break-in.
2) Choose the movie mode and not dynamic.
3) Keep the contrast and brightness down to 50 or less.
4) Do not leave static image on the screen for too long (like DVD startup logo, paused game, etc.).
5) Change channels frequently to avoid channel and DTH provider logos from becoming permanent feature of your screen.
6) Avoid letterbox movies (cinemascope). Use the zoom function / aspect ratio on your TV / DVD player.
7) Use tools provided by the manufacturer (orbiter, white wash, etc.)

You don't need to follow all of the above religiously but pay some attention. Sometimes break-in procedures are overrated.

And if it concerns you can read more here. There are break-in downloadable slides too.
Plasma TV Break-In Images

I would personally go with the info on the site.

Congrats once again. Do post pics and settings.

Hey congrats Prabhu (both for your 42PJ650 plasma and your Camry) !! :)

Well my dealer here had quoted 40.5k and would have maybe come down to 39k. But I'd say overall you seem to have got a good price.

I was at E-Zone OMR about 10 days back and those guys didn't even know there was a new PJ and PK series of plasmas in LG for 2010!! They still had the PQ30 and PQ70 models on display.

How did you decide on the PJ650? This is the 2nd model from the base, which is PJ350. Top end model in 42 inch is the PJ560 for which my dealer quoted 43.2k.

I have an LG 42PQ70 plasma bought in July 2009 installed and being used at my parents' place. We are quite happy with it overall, except that sometimes I feel the blacks could definitely have been a bit better. But excellent value for money and loaded with features, and it's a great looker too!

Don't forget to post back here with your initial impressions with regard to DTH, SD DivX and DVDs, and of course HD MKVs (blu ray rips) and so on.

Enjoy your TV !!

Warm regards,
Venkat

Hey congrats Prabhu (both for your 42PJ650 plasma and your Camry) !! :)

Well my dealer here had quoted 40.5k and would have maybe come down to 39k. But I'd say overall you seem to have got a good price.

I was at E-Zone OMR about 10 days back and those guys didn't even know there was a new PJ and PK series of plasmas in LG for 2010!! They still had the PQ30 and PQ70 models on display.

How did you decide on the PJ650? This is the 2nd model from the base, which is PJ350. Top end model in 42 inch is the PJ560 for which my dealer quoted 43.2k.

I have an LG 42PQ70 plasma bought in July 2009 installed and being used at my parents' place. We are quite happy with it overall, except that sometimes I feel the blacks could definitely have been a bit better. But excellent value for money and loaded with features, and it's a great looker too!

Don't forget to post back here with your initial impressions with regard to DTH, SD DivX and DVDs, and of course HD MKVs (blu ray rips) and so on.

Enjoy your TV !!

Warm regards,
Venkat

I went to e zone on 29th and they had it on display then, I wanted to get EX500 or b650, but I found football was much better in a plasma, I liked the new infinia design and so I bought it ....
so far the SD performance is quite good , I use airtel DTH , yet to check with any HD content ......

Prabhu, if SD looks nice on your plasma, I am 100% sure HD content would look amazing. Apoorva from this forum (Chennai) is next in line for the LG plasmas. I think he's planning to pick up more than 1 plasma for his house. He was talking about the PK550 model so perhaps a 42 and a 50 inch together. I would probably be going to his place for a demo on his new plasmas.

Perhaps I could have a look at yours too if you don't mind. Nothing beats a home demo! PM me if it's ok and maybe I shall visit you in the next week or so for a demo. Meanwhile I shall try and drop in at the OMR E-Zone again to check out the plasmas.

Warm regards,
Venkat

Honestly, when I bought the LG 42PQ70 a few months back, I did not end up taking any precautions. I have a large window on the opposite wall and had to keep a high contrast and brightness to avoid washed out pictures. But still I've never faced IR problems at all. My usage is restricted to 3-4 hours at a stretch.

I bought a 42PJ560R and it plays jpg, avi, mp3 from usb. Heard some models play mkv videos too. Does it play in 650? Also, the USB is very selective, my external enclosure and iomega 500 gb does not get detected. Let me know if you are also facing the same issue.

The lg customer care say, they have many customers with similar issue so I had requested them to fix it.

Also, I see that the earlier 2009 models can be hacked to add divxHD support but now the service menu is locked and cant be done anymore. Just my observations over the internet.

Heard even the firmware can be downgraded/upgraded on these models to add additonsl features.

Last edited:
Can be or can't be? Which one?

I digged further and found a very useful site with more details.

http://lgusb.wikispaces.com/

Apparently, its not applicable for Asia versions of LG TVs. And also, it seems the service menu itself is locked now on newer versions. So we need to wait for someone to find a hack or do it ourselves.

If we are able to get into the service menu, apparently we can enable HD playback through USB as well.

It seems the IR hack might work. But I dont have a Series 60 nokia phone with IR which is needed to try this out. Since we already have the divx enabled, we need to try the HD option nand see if it works. If someone with the same can try this and share the results, that would be great.

http://lgusb.wikispaces.com/IR+Hack

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back