Bought WD TV Live in Kolkata

rahuljonline

Finally purchased WD TV Live, from Velocity stores in Chandni market, Kolkata. After lot of bargaining, got it for Rs. 7700/- inclusive of all taxes. I thought it was a better deal, plus I got the product then and there, instead of all the ebay shipping hassles and waiting.
As expected, I really liked the Interface (the primary reason for choosing WD). Connected it to LAN, and my Seagate 1 TB External Hard Disk. Now the Hard Disk contents are also shared in the network, through WD TV Live. So, I can access it's content wirelessly from my laptop (through wifi) from anywhwere in the house, as long as WD is switched on. So, it's kind of a NAS thing.
Listened to Live365 radio and Youtube as well.
Also updated to the new 1.02.21 firmware. Pretty easy to use. Plays all my files (especially after the update). Even the MKVs at 1080p are killer (Avatar and Fight Club 10th Anniversary version).
Will soon post some pics. I'm looking for a decent HT system in a couple of months, around 40ks.

Cheers!

Did you play MKV Files ........ there is a problem with keeping the original aspect ratio.
Try playing some movies in mkv format and see whether the aspect ratio of all the movies are correct, because most players have a tendency to play it in 16:9 ratio and thus make the video distorted.

Sony 370 Blu Ray player plays the file in a distorted manner so one has to add black bars at the top and bottom to keep the original aspect ratio which is a very time consuming process.

Dont know how WDTV handle this problem of aspect ratio.Try playing a mkv file with the aspect ratio of 1:2.40 or 2.39 which are encoded without the black bars and see if it gets distorted.

Did you play MKV Files ........ there is a problem with keeping the original aspect ratio.
Try playing some movies in mkv format and see whether the aspect ratio of all the movies are correct, because most players have a tendency to play it in 16:9 ratio and thus make the video distorted.

Sony 370 Blu Ray player plays the file in a distorted manner so one has to add black bars at the top and bottom to keep the original aspect ratio which is a very time consuming process.

Dont know how WDTV handle this problem of aspect ratio.Try playing a mkv file with the aspect ratio of 1:2.40 or 2.39 which are encoded without the black bars and see if it gets distorted.

I did play MKVs (infact that's why I bought a media player in the first place). They work fine. Ascept ratios are fine too. There was an avi file which did not play, but after firmware upgrade, even this worked!

The player cost me 7700 bucks, like I mentioned.

Actually after much experimenting I found the mkv playing capabilities of the sony 370 quiet useless as it cannot play any mkv file by maintaining the correct Aspect Ratio if the black bars are not encoded in your mkv file.

So one will have to go for WDTV if it can play mkv with correct aspect ratio by adding the black bars by itself which the sony br player cannot.

Wow thanks for the info rahul, I live in kolkata and was just thinking of ordering wdtv live from ebay at a much more price.. now will just go to velocity and pay 7700.

You got it with warranty and papers right?

Wow thanks for the info rahul, I live in kolkata and was just thinking of ordering wdtv live from ebay at a much more price.. now will just go to velocity and pay 7700.

You got it with warranty and papers right?

Ofcourse, I got warranty etc.. Bargain even more if you can. Tell him you'll buy right now, then he will budge.

Hi,
I was quite frustrated scanning every page on net for stuff like Western Digital TV Live or Seagate Freeagent Theater + or Asus O-play. and finally I stumbled upon this Forum where at least there is some mention about this WD HD Media. I wonder WD HD Media player / Seagate FTA+ was released in early 2009 and many in Chandni chowk have not even heard of them (or I dont know they pretend like that).

So Rahul can u tell me where exactly is this Velocity stores and is there any other stores where you might have gone to get This WD TV and which keeps HD Media Players Like WD TV or Seagate Freeagaent etc
Thanks
Sanu

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back