Bringing LED tv from UAE

ajithlal

Hi friends,
My friend and his wife is coming home from Dubai in July. When I requested him to buy an LED TV for me, he doubts as he already to decided bring one, is it possible to have one more as there is two person travelling together.. Could anyone make it clear whether each person can carry one tv as accompanied baggage (within 40" and permissible luggage limit) ?
Regards

Last edited:
Each person is allowed Rs35000 total duty free imports.
Having said that the customs officer at the airport will not view 2 TVs being brought in by a single family sympathetically and may decide to check the entire baggage to club other minor purchases also in to the dutiable goods.

Other FMs - please share any personal experiences

Although each person is allowed 35K, the exemption is for personal effects. TV is not "personal effect". One TV will be allowed per family. However, there is a trick. One family member can walk to the customs, say 15 minutes early. The second member can then follow later. The two family members should stand apart at the luggage belt. They should also pre-decide which of their own bags they will distribute amongst each other and pick up from the conveyer.

@just 4kix,

So what will be the issues or duty levied if two tvs are brought with a family of two members ? Will they charge customs duty for the full cost of second one's bill or its price in India?

@just 4kix,

So what will be the issues or duty levied if two tvs are brought with a family of two members ? Will they charge customs duty for the full cost of second one's bill or its price in India?
Assuming no other "heavy" dutiable items, both TVs will be clubbed together. The customs will accept your valuation of the TVs if they are satisfied by original computer print of invoice as well as the feeling that declared value is not too low. Otherwise they will use their own assessed value. The customs will add 10% as FOB/freight.

From the above value 35,000 will be exempt from duty. For the balance, duty will be charged at 35% approximately.

Hi friends,
My friend and his wife is coming home from Dubai in July. When I requested him to buy an LED TV for me, he doubts as he already to decided bring one, is it possible to have one more as there is two person travelling together.. Could anyone make it clear whether each person can carry one tv as accompanied baggage (within 40" and permissible luggage limit) ?
Regards

Just wanted to share my experience @ Coimbatore airport last month: Myself and my wife got a TV each during our Dubai trip last month. We didn't have any other electronics/jewellery and we could walk through the gate without any major hassle.

I bought a TCL 40 inch 3D LED TV (AED 1699) and my wife had a TCL 40 inch non 3D LED TV (AED 1299). Both of us walked towards the exit together with one TV per trolley. The customs officials did ask about the value of each TV and also looked at the invoices.

When we told them that we got the TVs for each of our parents (which is a fact), they allowed us to proceed with a nice smile on their face. I also learned from one of the customs official that they are bothered about the TVs which are more than AED 2000 in value.

By the way, the decision to go with TCL is purely because of the decent picture quality and VFM they offered - and also carried an advertisement that it comes with a full 1 year warranty in India.

Hope this helps.

if a family carry two tvs ( no other heavy items) say one 32" worth 30k and other 40
inch costs 49K without applying the trick mentioned by just@kix shall it be the violation of allowed limit ? Will they treat 2 sets as brought by a single person and levy the duty?

Hi,
Any one had experience with souq.com of UAE? Is it relaible? There is a difference of 570 AED (3699 and 3129) for Samsung UA40F6400 in Lulu and Souq.com.
I have to instruct immediately my freind to buy from where.. Can anyone help me...?

if a family carry two tvs ( no other heavy items) say one 32" worth 30k and other 40
inch costs 49K without applying the trick mentioned by just@kix shall it be the violation of allowed limit ? Will they treat 2 sets as brought by a single person and levy the duty?

Duty-free allowance is per passenger and not per family/group. Since TV's are non-personal effects they will be charged duty.

See Baggage Rules, 1998 - CBEC

Last edited:
TV is clearly not part of personal effects. But most of the times, customs people allow the personal exemption of 35k to be extended to TVs and other electronic items listed in various annexures. However, if the customs officer is annoyed at your trying to outsmart him, he may play by the rules and book and charge 35% duty on the full CIF Value. So advice is, don't try to quote rules to them but definitely bargain.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back