BS Speakers for Cary Audio SLI-80

cpp

Looking for suggestions to shortlist speakers that could go well with Cary Audio SLI-80 amp.

The genres of music I listen to are: Indian Classical (vocal & instrumental), Western Classical, Classic Rock, Pop, etc. That said, in recent times, most of my listening is leaning towards Indian Classical (vocal).

I plan to place the speakers in the living room which is 'L' shaped. Also, there is an attached "open" kitchen which adds significant volume to the listening area.

I listen at low volumes (mainly late in the night). I have lived with floor-standers earlier (though with a different amp) and prefer a more intimate presentation leaning slightly towards warmer side.

Some speakers in my current list (none auditioned yet and in no particular order):
- KEF Q300
- Jamo C803
- Usher BE718
- Dynaudio Audience 52

I appreciate any suggestions for BS speakers considering the aforementioned parameters.

Last edited:
for the price range of the amplifier, i think you may be better off with looking at better speakers than the ones listed.

Out of the ones you listed,

Dynaudio Audience - is very rare and hard to find especially the 52SE. I tracked a pair in Singapore but the guy had the 72SE and 52Se and the seller ( a european national ) wanted the buyer to take it all as a set and i had to back out. This was some time ago though.

The Usher - ARN in Bangalore is the dealer and maybe you may want to request a home audition. This would be a good idea i think.

Others ...i havent heard.

The Epos dealer is in Bangalore as well - you may like to took them up too. They make some nice speakers at a decent price as well.

Hifimart - had a nice deal going on the Dynaudio Focus 160 - maybe you could try.

I dont know if you have a Totem dealer in Bangalore but the Model 1 signature would be nice to try but its costly here though.

On hifiads.com there is a pair of PMC TB2i

I would suppose the Merlin TSM would go well too but i dont know if you would like to import it ( there is a pair for sale on audiogon as well )

Listen before you buy - for all options.

regards

mpw

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard the SLI 80 Signature with Proacs and the combination was quite good. Usher BE 718 and Merlins would be a good idea too. If you are going the Dyn route, a used Contour 1.3SE might do better justice than an Audience 52.

Cheers

Room dimensions ??

I am attaching a document showing room dimensions/plan and speaker positioning. However, I do not want to restrict my choices since I will probably move the setup to a dedicated listening room next year.

Attachments

• room dimensions.pdf
    10 KB · Views: 24
Cary SLI-80 is 80 Watts/channel in Class A/B ultra-linear mode and 40 Watts/channel in Class A Triode mode. I am wondering what speakers would work well with such a medium powered tube amp. Or to enlarge the scope of the discussion, what speakers (high sensitivity?) would work with tube amp (personal experience or otherwise) ?

I have read mixed views on suitability of speakers like Usher BE718 with tube amps. What factors are to be considered to select speakers for tube amps ?

Thanks.

I see there is a Cary Audio dealer in Bangalore. Have you checked with them? Might be worth a visit

You don't need a high sensitivity speaker with 80/40 wpc. Since I make my own speakers I am unable to provide any suggestions about commercial offerings.

Last edited:
i would fancy my chances with the BE718
the Revel bookshelves

someone said Dyna 1.3SE - well if you can get your hands on this
its a winner
game over

I casually walked (unplanned) into ProFX outlet yesterday and had a brief audition of KEF LS50 and R300. They were running these from a Denon AVR - the room was mainly setup for 5.1 demo rather than for stereo. The sound appeared slightly on the brighter side and I think the Denon AVR was to blame.

I have been promised an audition of LS50 and R300 with better equipment (stereo amp instead of an AVR!) and I would go for an extensive audition of these speakers (with my set of CDs), mainly because of the glowing reviews they get (esp. LS50) all over the web.

That said, I wonder if LS50 (85dB sensitivity) would make sense with SLI-80 at all (read: with tube amp, in general). Unless I carry my amp (which is quite a hassle due to weight of the amp) or convince ProFX to provide a demo at home with SLI80 (very unlikely), it would be a blind buy. So, I am wondering if LS50/R300 are worth considering at all (as a match for SLI-80 in particular or tube amps in general).

try for a home audition. Its easier to get the standmount speakers to your place than lugging the amp.

The Cary amp has plenty of power so dont worry too much about sensitivity etc..

Line up a few auditions ( take 2 days off ) and get a friend to help you with lugging the amp ( if necessary ). Be ready to decide and close the deal the moment you like something else its a circular path with no end and many options.

regards

Audition them-a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. I took some time to understand that amps and speakers have synergies, and if poorly matched can be disappointing.

Since you are in Bangalore you are welcome to audition the Jamo C803 Bookshelves at my place - better with your amp. I have a soft corner for them as compared to my main system with MA RX6. PMs to your mailbox are not going thro....

Sir,
I know you are looking for a B/S Speaker.
But you may want to consider :-
Argon7L | Amphion
Also you have put up your room plan - is the
speaker position negotiable ?
:indifferent14:

Sir, Thanks for your suggestion; having used floorstanders for a long time now, I am currently inclined towards bookshelves due to my current musical interests. The speaker position cannot be changed. However, sometime next year I expect to have a dedicated room for audio - so this would be short-term issue.

Last edited:
Are you open to 'used' pairs ?
Hi-Fi Speakers - THE REFERENCE - Fact Sheets - Bookshelf - REFERENCE 1 - KEF United States
This is a great speaker in my books at least.

I am open to used well-maintained speakers, though my current plan is to buy a new pair.

Since you are in Bangalore you are welcome to audition the Jamo C803 Bookshelves at my place - better with your amp.

Vivek, Thanks for your kind invitation. I would definitely love to listen to your setup. Will contact you shortly. I received both your PMs and responded.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back