Power Cord for Tube Amp Cary SLI 80 HS

Pradeep thevalakara

Hi
Happy NY.
Am searching for a good power cord for my Cary SLI 80 HS tube amp. Speakers are Tannoy Turnberry GR (93 db).

I believe that a good power cord will make changes in SQ. I request your valuable suggestions to proceed with any specific brands.

Regards
Pradeep george

Happy new year,
I can vouch for the camp where the power cord does make a difference. Biggest change I felt with PC upgrade was in the streamer and the subwoofer and next the amplifier.
I use transparent and furutech power cables, so you can have a look at them.

Go to eBay and buy enough m22759/11/12 wire to make your own. ( 30 feet of 12 AWG ).

Hard wire cable into the amp, use NO amp IEC !!!! Make cable 114 1/4 inches long. Find a HUBBLE brand European AC plug, usually all yellow, to fit into Euro AC sockets.

Go to VH Audio site. EXECUTE Chris' Flavor TWO, with 114 1/4 inch m22759/11/12.

I would GUESS it will outperform anything people buy retail, and not be too costly.

ie, Most likely the best performance possible for money spent.

Here is my audio-related recent thread, on this Military Specified wire :

Own Tannoys, eh ?

My first speaker purchase ever, after graduate school, was Tannoy also : Fifteen inch Monitor Golds, in GRF enclosures, circa 1968.

Jeff

Last edited:
A gold shielded power cable with platinum conductors inside, insulated with an exotic plastic sold at 10 to 15 times a normal power chord used to connect the amp after all that power flow from generating station to your house flowing through copper cables insulated with XLPE, through different transformers and with the harmonics added from your PCs, mobile and tab chargers, household equipment, neighbours' house etc. is going to make a difference!!

At the most add a harmonic filter, don't plug in any of the harmonic creators in the same circuit, or at least keep them far from your AV. Radios are much more senitive than amps. Even in them the disturbance is negligible when kept 3 feet from a switched on laptop.

Keep it simple, save your money. Use a plug suitable for your local specification (probably Type G to British Standards) so that you are safe.

You have received rational advice above.

I belong to the camp that believes Power Cords (PC) & Interconnect Cables (ICs) DO make a difference to the sonic signature of the system..... assuming the replay system (which includes the room), resolves reasonably well. PC, IC & Speaker cables will not correct for distortion or excessively deviant sound... they will typically change the colouration, improve resolution, change dynamics etc.

A Change in PC or ICs as early in the chain as possible, makes the most difference to my ears...

Hence a Change of The Power Cord on the CD player will generally have a greater impact than on an integrated amplifier. (Ditto for ICs)

I also believe that most brands have their own unique "house sound." Cables can make the sound more "Forward", Dynamic, Laid Back, Improved Bass (quantity & bass resolution), improve resolution, provide a darker / blacker background, etc

Moving up in the Hierarchy of a Cable Brand will offer better Resolution, Dynamics etc, and the overall performance will have better finesse.

I believe spending 10% of your budget on Cables (selected wisely) can give you a 15% to 20% improvement in the system sound.

I invite you to visit a good Hi Fi Dealer in Delhi, and take a listen. The Dealer that sold you the Tanoys would be a good starting place.

PCs & ICs should only be purchased after a home audition, and after you are clear in your mind, in which direction you want to nudge your system sound.

If you do not hear a difference, its OK, you are blessed, and need not spend money on PCs & ICs!

An audiophile's pursuit is a journey, so don't expect to achieve nirvana instant (or a permanent) nirvana ;)

I do not intend to provoke YET ANOTHER endless debate on Cables, hence will not respond to posts that I feel are headed in that direction.

To each their own. 🖖

This is how the Aegir internal wiring looks like. I don't think an after market power cord will make any difference. ;)
The power system behind the socket is dirty and inside the unit is spaghetti of wires and components in close proximity - recipe for induction. And power chords can solve all these.. Whew!!!!

Reminds me of the current spiritual gurus...

Now this is what is in Cary Amp

61upTGjq+VL.jpg

Last edited:
Can one infer the Sonic performance via a photo ?
Nope! And there was absolutely no inference whatsoever on my part on the said amplifiers sonic performance. :oops:

Edit: Lest anyone misconstrue my posts here, I'm posting ONLY about power cords and my opinion is based on my experiences so far however limited they be and should be taken as such for whatever little they may be worth. If ever I experience a difference I will change my opinion but till that time...

Last edited:
A Change in PC or ICs as early in the chain as possible, makes the most difference to my ears...
Hence a Change of The Power Cord on the CD player will generally have a greater impact than on an integrated amplifier. (Ditto for ICs)
My experience is also exactly as above. the way i have rationalised this as below
1, Every component , not matter how good adds a distortion
2. If there is an amplification in that component, then it not only and adds its own but amplifies the earlier distortion, hence a change in the prior component makes a bigger difference.,,ergo the Source is most important.
3. While Distortion cannot be controlled my most of us common folks, but if it sounds more pleasing.natural then its safer to assume then it has reduced.

I would also advise coming down to cables at the end ie after you have got the components and the placement of speakers at its best positions and use it to get the sound right to your ears. The impact of the cable on your system will be completely different from anyone else since in the end its a combination of the components/room acoustics as well as quality of power at your location which affects the sound

Hence do not spend too much unless you have a chance to try it at home. You can ask the Cary as to what they recommend and if the stock cable is something they will recommend. Many manufacturers give a stock cable which works well enough and other give a useless one since they know most folks will anyway change it.

I believe spending 10% of your budget on Cables (selected wisely) can give you a 15% to 20% improvement in the system sound.

I invite you to visit a good Hi Fi Dealer in Delhi, and take a listen. The Dealer that sold you the Tanoys would be a good starting place.

PCs & ICs should only be purchased after a home audition, and after you are clear in your mind, in which direction you want to nudge your system sound.

If you do not hear a difference, its OK, you are blessed, and need not spend money on PCs & ICs!
So agree with you Sir !
While cables make a difference whether it is good or bad is open to debate and there are discussions/arguments/fights on the technicalities but if you can hear a difference and are willing to pay for what you think are the differences , then its worth it...after all its your Money. Hearing difference in cables can take a lot of time since sometimes it can be subtle.

Personally I try to keep the cost of cables at 5% of system cost as a guideline and its only because there is no "Best cable" just good to very good cables for your system and finding the "Nirvana cable" means too much time and money to make it worth it

Last edited:
You have received rational advice above.

I belong to the camp that believes Power Cords (PC) & Interconnect Cables (ICs) DO make a difference to the sonic signature of the system..... assuming the replay system (which includes the room), resolves reasonably well. PC, IC & Speaker cables will not correct for distortion or excessively deviant sound... they will typically change the colouration, improve resolution, change dynamics etc.

I also believe that most brands have their own unique "house sound." Cables can make the sound more "Forward", Dynamic, Laid Back, Improved Bass (quantity & bass resolution), improve resolution, provide a darker / blacker background, etc

Moving up in the Hierarchy of a Cable Brand will offer better Resolution, Dynamics etc, and the overall performance will have better finesse.

An audiophile's pursuit is a journey, so don't expect to achieve nirvana instant (or a permanent) nirvana ;)

I do not intend to provoke YET ANOTHER endless debate on Cables, hence will not respond to posts that I feel are headed in that direction.

To each their own. 🖖
Not fair 😭😭... You shut me up before I could get started 😂😂😂

This is how the Aegir internal wiring looks like. I don't think an after market power cord will make any difference. ;)
That's after the transformer and there are several wires distributing current to various components despite thin.
I don't know. Never believed in power cables. Was just wondering if the cheaper volex make any change to the system. 🙂

That's after the transformer and there are several wires distributing current to various components despite thin.
I don't know. Never believed in power cables. Was just wondering if the cheaper volex make any change to the system. 🙂
In my experience, expensive cables have the most impact on the wallet 😜😜

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back