Buba's first post

Buba

Hi All,

I am Buba from Bangalore. This is my first post. I acciedently bumped on this wonderful forum. Man, I was not knowing that such a fantastic community exists! You guys are just crazy. Since last two days I am going through threads after thread and amazed by the depth of knowledge some of forum members are having, hats off to you all.

I am thinking of setting up both a dedicated 2 Ch audio only system and one HT systems. I hope you guys will help me out.

Regards

Buba

Welcome! What kind of music do you listen to? And movies?

Hi MOSERW,

First of all thanks a lot for the warm Welcome.

I mostly enjoy Hindi Film music especailly from that Golden Era of Hindi Film Music 1960-70. Apart from Hindi Film scores , I also enjoy American Country music (Kenny Roggers etc). Recently developed interest in Classic Rock.

I like all Hindi (B&W) movies , suspense /mistery movies, also enjoy Texas type movies (Kint Eastwood etc). I am a big fan of Dev Anand.

Regards

Buba

I mostly enjoy Hindi Film music especailly from that Golden Era of Hindi Film Music 1960-70. Apart from Hindi Film scores , I also enjoy American Country music (Kenny Roggers etc). Recently developed interest in Classic Rock.

Wlecome to HifiVision, Buba.

If you like Hindi Film music of that era, you have to be very careful in choosing your speakers, CD Players and amplifier. These recording tend be be very high pitched (particularly Latha's voice), and recorded with high gain. You have to choose a system that is 'warm' and will tame down such high frequency sounds.

Cheers

if you want warm then nad amplifiers should definitely be on your list as a front runner. pair the rest of your system to that

Thanks a lot to both Venkat and AFJ.

Given my music interests , I am more inclined towards Valve sound. If budget permits will try to incorporate at least one Valve based component in my set up. It could be a Valve based CDP or Valve based pre-amp and SS power amp combo or a hybrid Intergrated. I heard that people with full SS set up put a Valve based buffer in between source and Pre amp. Does anybody tried / auditioned such a setup?

.................I am more inclined towards Valve sound. If budget permits will try to incorporate at least one Valve based component in my set up. ..........

Welcome Buba. Glad to see that you too are inclined towards Valve sound. I think Valve sound suits your music interests better than Solid State.

Here are some pointers for you to explore.

Valve based CDP : Jolida , Advance Acoustic , AudioNote (UK)

Valve Based pre-amp : Vincent and (budget friendly) Lyrita , ofcourse there are many Hi End brands available (e.g. Shindo) for Valve Preamp but most of them are way expensive! There is a guy Siva in Bangalore , (Corrosn Audio) who makes Valve based pre-amp costing about 60-70K.

Hybrid Intergrated : Jolida (excellent VFM, I once owned it , so have a first hand experience), UNISON Research and Cadence VA-1 (I am having this VA-1 ), Vincent also has couple of Hybrid models.

Full valve integrated : (budget friendly) Lyrita. Lyrita also makes Valve based SET. Then there are Prima Luna , Cayin , Jolida 300B(?) and (expensive) Leben etc.

Valve buffers : I haven't audiotned any but a Valve cathod follower circuit is mainly used for impedance matching . MF has couple of such Valve based buffers.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
As far as I know , there is no body in Mumbai dealing in Lyrita and Jolida. You can audition Jolida (Integrated and CDP) at Oceanic Sound and Vision , Pune. Oceanic is not a dealer or disributor sort of thing but they import against an order. They do have some models for demo. But call them first to check models and availability.

Lyrita you can check with Viren (owner of Lyrita) he may be in position to provide you details about any Lyrita owners in and around Mumbai. I believe one Pune based forum member has got Lyrita product/s.

Advance Acoustic CDP is available with NOVA Audio (call Sushil Anand there).
Vincent's all India distributor is in Pune.

Hope this helps.

Home

check out this website for valve based amps / hybrids / class a amplifiers from china. click on the brand on the left and to get details on specific models click on the uk flag next to it (for details in english). brands like classic, shanling, jungson, jolida etc

Suhas, who deals in Prima Luna these days, d'you know?

Afj: how go your valve/ class A amp adventures? Keep us posted!

will do persi. trying to sell my nad first though. i've narrowed it down to the bada purer 3.3 and the jungson ja88d. going purely by speaking to people (havent been able to listen to them) - the purer is slightly warmer than the jungson. from what i've heard the jungson is very clean and neutral but bordering on clinical - though some call it very musical. if theres one thing that i dont want to give up in an amp is the fullness in the vocals secondly the jungson is 80 watts class a and may not perform under high temperature conditions. the bada comes with best of both worlds in class a. it can go to 10w class a 10-160 class ab. or with a switch of a button upto 30 class a and 30-160 class ab.

theres a thread around here somewhere in which one of the members said they're going to the jungson distributor in chennai (yes there is one) to listen and give in a review. will wait for that as well.

whichever one i choose it would definitely be better than the current nad. but will keep you posted

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back