Bubbles on Vinyl Record

@sureshkuranjalayil how do you clean the vinyls? What sort of solutions you use? And how much time you keep them for drying?

I normally use IPA + Water Mixture (20:80 ratio). Spray this mixture on the vinyl surface and clean it with cotton cloth and keep under fan for 10 - 15 minutes, totally for 2 sides.

Thanks,

When I go to buy vinyl, there are times I see bubbles on the surface even though it looks mint. I guess it must be bad quality raw material.

I have also experienced this.

I recently got a LP with agood amount of bubbles. It does play without skipping.
The bumps can be clearly heard in the quiet portions.
Would it be any issue playing such records?
Or would it be safe?

I normally use IPA + Water Mixture (20:80 ratio). Spray this mixture on the vinyl surface and clean it with cotton cloth and keep under fan for 10 - 15 minutes, totally for 2 sides.

Thanks,
Hi Suresh Babu,

15 mins might be too short a time. I vacuum clean my records and I once tried to play a couple after a few hours and they sounded very dull. This disappeared after leaving them overnight, which I normally do as a matter of convenience. If after a couple of hours post vacuum cleaning has an audible effect, 15 mins of wiping with a cloth and drying will take off much less moisture. Not sure if this is the cause of the bubbles but at any rate do air dry your records for longer before sleeving.

Regards

Bubbles can appear on any vinyl record regardless of quality. over the years I've had many that have developed bubbles. I guess it's the moisture in Mumbai's air.

Hi,

On checking one vinyl from my collection, it noticed bubbles are developed all over the surface - photograph of the same attached. I have got 2 copies of this particular record - Columbia Label and and I remember correctly that while collecting first copy, it was having some bubbles on it and the second copy was in Excellent condition. After a period of around 2 years, the second copy has also developed bubbles.

I have kept these records with other titles, the not find any issues with other titles. Opinion requested from members whether this issue is because of some manufacturing defect (because only this particular title is having the issue) or with the problems in storage.

Regards,
Suresh Babu

I have seen a few of vinyl that have the same issues from the collector. He stores his collection in the hot and humid environment. After a few years, many of his records develop pimples all over on both sides. My investigation concludes that the cause of damage was from the environment. When it is hot and humid, records that keep in plastic inner sleeves started to get wet. And when you do not know when it is started until it is too late.

A friend of mine faced this with records he had stored in the kitchen loft. I too feel it's the excessive heat and humidity that causes this.

A friend of mine faced this with records he had stored in the kitchen loft. I too feel it's the excessive heat and humidity that causes this.
His flat is on the top floor of a building in Mumbai - so does get very hot during summer

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back