Budget amplifier for wharfedale diamond 220s

ysvishnu

I purchased wharfedale diamond 220s from vector systems in hyderabad today. Im looking for a budget amp under 10k to drive them. I was told by the sales manager that norge is the way to go, but im not very educated about the hifi world and i have a few doubts.

Im currently looking at the norge 2060. Id also like to mention that I may add a polk subwoofer after a few months and to my knowledge the 2060 supports a line out for the dub. I will be playing music from my macbook or iphone, and its usually trance, progressive house or rap.

Is there any other amplifier I must look at, perhaps astonia sc301? norge 100 gold?

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks !

Hi Vishnu
You already purchased wharfedale 220 speakers, ok very nice.
But if you add a polk audio sub, may be you can feel an unpleasant boom sound. Hence my advice is that don't attach sub woofer. If you want good bass , must purchase a good amplifier (with loudness control).

Congrats!
I am also planning to buy the same and use it with Norge 2060.
I couldn't see any sub out at the rear panel of Norge 2060.

Couple of days back I have contacted Designer Audio, Wharfedale distributor in India. This is the e-mail response I received and believed this as they are the distributor.

Now I had to believe this is not correct, especially launching in April end first time !
How could Vector systems have this speaker if it is not yet launched in India?
----------------------------------------
220 HAS NOT COME TO INDIA YET. LAUNCHING IN APRIL END FIRST TIME.

HIFIMART IS DOING ADVACNE BOOKING.

ONLY BLACK COLOR COMING NO OTHER COLOR
-----------------------------------------

I purchased wharfedale diamond 220s from vector systems in hyderabad today.

Dear Sir,

As per the information that I have from the official Indian distributor in India, the Diamond 220 is still not yet available in India. It will only be available by the end of April 2015.

Can you please verify as to the exact model number of the speaker purchased by you from Vector Systems in Hyderabad?

Thank you.

I have no idea how the dealer promised me the speakers before the official release date, but he said I would get the speakers in 5-10 days. Il post an update after I speak to the dealer again.

UPDATE : Spoke to the dealer. Promised delivery on wednesday. Yet to receive an invoice.

Last edited:
Ok, the dealer called me today and apologized for postponing delivery. He said he would definitely deliver them by 25th april since there are 'no stocks' right now. He said the speakers would be available on 20th, and he said my delivery would happen on 25th or before. Ive also been told that both norge 2060 and 1000 gold are not in stock and would be available on monday most probably.

Turns out the store owner is my dad's friend :p
Anyway he assured me delivery by 25th for sure, and frankly I dont mind.

Ok, the dealer called me today and apologized for postponing delivery to 25th april. He said there were 'no stocks' currently and that they would be available on 20th, followed by delivery in 4-5 days.

Turns out the store owner is my dad's close friend's brother's, and he intervened and promised me prompt delivery by 25th for sure, and frankly I dont mind. Sorry for confusing you guys :p

Agree with WF distributor and hifimart about the release in India.
Thanks for the confirmation.

But it is not a good practice for any dealer to assure the delivery blindly without even checking with their distributor and confirming.

Ok, the dealer called me today and apologized for postponing delivery to 25th april. He said there were 'no stocks' currently and that they would be available on 20th, followed by delivery in 4-5 days.

Turns out the store owner is my dad's close friend's brother's, and he intervened and promised me prompt delivery by 25th for sure, and frankly I dont mind. Sorry for confusing you guys :p

I might be a little late but....why not concider budjet offerings from the likes of marantz pm 5005 (smooth, warm sound) or Cambridge audio topaz line (exciting and dynamic sound). Both are more than powerful enough drive your Wharfdales.

Rahul

I might be a little late but....why not concider budjet offerings from the likes of marantz pm 5005 (smooth, warm sound) or Cambridge audio topaz line (exciting and dynamic sound). Both are more than powerful enough drive your Wharfdales.

Rahul

Not really, Im still in the market for an amp. I have a family member coming from the US soon. So Im not able to decide if I must go with norge 1000 gold or the likes of marantz from the US.

Purely in terms of sound quality and completely ignoring price, how much better are pm5004/5005 and topaz compared to norge 1000?
they are around 300-350$, which is still more than the 12-13k I will spend on a norge 1000 in india.

Not really, Im still in the market for an amp. I have a family member coming from the US soon. So Im not able to decide if I must go with norge 1000 gold or the likes of marantz from the US.

Purely in terms of sound quality and completely ignoring price, how much better are pm5004/5005 and topaz compared to norge 1000?
they are around 300-350$, which is still more than the 12-13k I will spend on a norge 1000 in india.

I'm not familiar with norge at all. I've heard both CA and Marantz more expensive offerings the pm 6004 and 351a, both are good and fit my earlier description....The cheaper offerings will offer the same type of sound but in a smaller sonic scale....cant be quite sure but I believe I may have auditioned the 5004 at one point and have liket it as well.
Like I said earlier the speakers you are getting aren't too demanding to drive so power figures shouldn't matter.
By the way on a side note, had a very short listen to the diamond 121's thought they sounded great...demo was done with speakers in free space (medium to large size room) away from walls, trance/house type music, bass was much more than expected in quantity and quality.
220's should be even better with a bigger magnet...

Rahul

FYI both CA and Marantz are available on hifimart... Check it out!

Can u audition the Amps somewhere to get an idea of the type of sound they produce viv a vis what u prefer.

A word of caution about shipping from US, both amps are about 6 kg Net. Less box!
Dont know about Norge.

Rahul

I'm not familiar with norge at all. I've heard both CA and Marantz more expensive offerings the pm 6004 and 351a, both are good and fit my earlier description....The cheaper offerings will offer the same type of sound but in a smaller sonic scale....cant be quite sure but I believe I may have auditioned the 5004 at one point and have liket it as well.
Like I said earlier the speakers you are getting aren't too demanding to drive so power figures shouldn't matter.
By the way on a side note, had a very short listen to the diamond 121's thought they sounded great...demo was done with speakers in free space (medium to large size room) away from walls, trance/house type music, bass was much more than expected in quantity and quality.
220's should be even better with a bigger magnet...

Rahul

Okay, il take your advice and audition the CA topaz am5, I guess i can find a place in hyderabad. Its within my budget and if i feel that the speakers are not underpowered and the sound is good, il definately buy them.

But just in case topaz am5 is not avaliable, can I audtion another amp of same wattage of 25x2 to get an idea of the loudness?

Hi Vishnu
You already purchased wharfedale 220 speakers, ok very nice.
But if you add a polk audio sub, may be you can feel an unpleasant boom sound. Hence my advice is that don't attach sub woofer. If you want good bass , must purchase a good amplifier (with loudness control).
Why does that unpleasant boom happens when we connect a subwoofer to a stereo bookshelf amp system?

Why does that unpleasant boom happens when we connect a subwoofer to a stereo bookshelf amp system?

I mentioned this information related to wharfedale 220 speakers.

First of all, most widely available consumer speakers have a lot less deep bass than they seem to have: What they have is lots of mid-bass; it is easy to be fooled into thinking one is actually hearing really deep bass when all one is hearing is lots of inarticulate booming. Mass market speakers (entry level) reproducing unpleasant mid bass (50-80hz) and fuzzy boom bass, these speaker's cabinet design is also not good. Hence the output sound signature may be unpleasant or lack in mid and high frequency areas.

If you connect a home theater sub along with this wharfedale 220 speakers, boom sound increase in high level. The ultimate result will be ''you can't hear the correct stereo image, and also mid, high frequencies''. Bcoz entry level speaker producing less detailed sound, if adding a sub to an entry level bookshelf spkr, musical details were hiding very large level...

You can connect high end speaker with musical sub woofers with crossover settings of 80Hz.

Last edited:
I was planning on setting up a stereo system using Wharfedale 220s and Cambridge Audio Topaz sr-10 stereo receiver which has got a dedicated sub out. Can you suggest a good musical sub(below 40k) for the system and can you tell me whether it's worthy of adding a sub to the system? Or does it create any unplesant boom and spoil the stereo setup?

I was planning on setting up a stereo system using Wharfedale 220s and Cambridge Audio Topaz sr-10 stereo receiver which has got a dedicated sub out. Can you suggest a good musical sub(below 40k) for the system and can you tell me whether it's worthy of adding a sub to the system? Or does it create any unplesant boom and spoil the stereo setup?

I think your total budget rs.80k....
If you can avoid sub woofer, you can invest rs.40k+ to add to the purchase of a good medium budget speaker + amp setup....

If sub woofer is essential go to SVS-SB1000

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back