Budget (Around 15k-18k) powered/active speakers

I've used the Edifier 1280dbs. It's terrible. Thin mids, unrefined highs and no bass. It sounds lean and tinny.

The fact that it is being sold for 15k is daylight robbery considering its got the sound of a sub-5k speaker. It's comparable to the Creative SBS-370, except with lesser bass 😂

If you can get your hands on a used Altec Lansing MX5021, a speaker that was sold new at 6.5k back in the day, you will experience a much better sound in every which way than the Edifier.

In fact, I would wholeheartedly recommend a Marshall Acton II over the Edifier every day of the week and twice on Sunda, both for sound and build quality. The stereo separation from the edifier is not capable of carrying the rest of its sound into something palatable.
Hey, I was considering the Edifier R1280DBS for movies due to its sub-out and positive reviews until I saw your comment. Is it really not a good choice? are there any other options in the 20k price range (preferably 15k)? I'm on a budget, aiming for max value and won't be upgrading, except for adding a subwoofer.

edit: my primary desire is for deep bass, so I initially considered the z623 based on reviews that highlighted its ability to produce powerful enough bass to shake windows and picture frames. but hearing a lots of people complain about the build quality have caused me to reconsider and spending 15,000 on a system with known issues feels risky.

Last edited:
Hey, I was considering the Edifier R1280DBS for movies due to its sub-out and positive reviews until I saw your comment. Is it really not a good choice?
IMO, they don't sound good and I'd rather go with a higher end edifier like S2000 or higher which may negate the immediate need for a sub.

With the edifier 1280dbs, you'll have to invest in a sub inevitably cuz the thing has very little bass and be an additional 20k for a decent sub.
are there any other options in the 20k price range (preferably 15k)? I'm on a budget, aiming for max value and won't be upgrading, except for adding a subwoofer.
If you can get your hands on the Hivi D1090 for around 28k, you won't require a sub. Earth shattering bass that digs clean till 38hz and has excellent sound throughout the spectrum.

If not, something like the Magnat 220 won't be a bad choice as you can add a sub to it later.
edit: my primary desire is for deep bass, so I initially considered the z623 based on reviews that highlighted its ability to produce powerful enough bass to shake windows and picture frames. but hearing a lots of people complain about the build quality have caused me to reconsider and spending 15,000 on a system with known issues feels risky.
In that case, better avoided.

Hivi D1090 for around 28k
Is JBL 308p a good option? It has an 8" woofer and costs 15K each. I'm planning on purchasing one first and then buying another when I have enough money. And if I want to add a subwoofer later, I can do it using the XLR connection.

Same boat! I have the Edifier 1855DB and would not recommend it for music at all. I am looking for nearfield options for a desktop set up in a smallish study and am strongly considering the JBL 305mkii but really would like to audition them first.
I haven't found anywhere to audition them yet in B'lore, though.
Does anyone here have thoughts on the 305mkii for nearfield? Some reviews mention that they are bright and possibly thin.
Thanks
+1 Wouldn't recommend 1855db for music. You clearly miss the midrange. Go with stereo amp and passive bookshelf speakers if budget permits

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back